turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" or 3.5"

Started by gobblingghost, November 18, 2011, 05:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tactikel

I finally got a Knoxx recoil reducing stock for my 835 for the 2.25 oz hevi-shot loads. I really dont feel recoil in the field, but I like to tinker with chokes and shot sizes. Stock,  the 835 is the hardest kicking firearm I have ever shot, but after installing the knoxx it is really no  big deal to pattern 10-15 rounds at a time. If the knoxx didnt work I was headed to 3" shells.
I doubt the extra .25oz of shot makes any practical difference in most hunting situations, but why not use it if you can?  The worst thing that can happen is for you to develop a flinch-so be sure to find your acceptable limit for recoil.

surehuntsalot

never feel the recoil shooting at a bird,so I sling all the pellets that the gun is capable of at them
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

goblr77

3.5" for me. I want all the payload I can get.

chatterbox

Quote from: goblr77 on November 26, 2011, 11:31:14 AM
3.5" for me. I want all the payload I can get.
Same here. The tradeoff is more than worth it to me.
On the plus side, shooting my 3.5 Mossberg has made me a better shooter overall. If you can handle the recoil from those guns, sighting in your avg. deer rifle is a piece of cake.

mightyjoeyoung

I must not be the norm as far as perceived recoil.  I do not think the 835 recoils harder than most other shotguns.  Point of fact, I was patterning my turkey guns 2 springs ago  (An 835 (thumbhole stock, a remmy 870 express magsureshot stock, a buddy's older mossy 500 (field stock) and the old man's 835 (field stock)).  All the barrels are 23/24" with ported chokes btw.  I was patterning the original Federal 3" Premium PB #5s (no FC wad) and shooting the 835s, both of which have stock recoil pads (ventilated black).  The 835s were a pleasure to shoot compared to when I touched off the 870!  It was like getting hit in the face with a 2x4!!  I kept this to my self and let 3 other guys shoot the same loads in the same guns and all three were simply shocked at how much worse the recoil was in the 870.  I have shot .50 cal rifles i the military and for fun that didn't kick like that dang 870 did!  To me, the ported barrel, almost non-existant forcing cone and over-bore barrel do A LOT to reduce the felt recoil of any round in the 835 when compared to virtually any other equivilant weight shotgun shoot the same load.  When you go to those "tactical", M-4 style stocks you are almost ASKING for more recoil...in any gun.  They dont have the correct fit, drop or cast to be used with heavy recoiling turkey loads in shotguns.  Sure they're light and "adjustable" but what you save in weight, come with a price and that is RECOIL.  I challange anyone out there to shoot an 870 with the same load/choke and then shoot my 835 and still tell me the 835 kicks more...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

gob09

im not sayin its not true  in my experience the 835 recoiled harder than anything i ever shot in my exrerience

Longshanks

Beretta urika 3/2/7's. 250 in a 10 @ 40yds

Beretta xtrema 3.5/2.25/7's  300 in a 10 @ 40yds

*recoil not an issue

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Old Gobbler on November 19, 2011, 12:56:46 PM
Quote from: gobblingghost on November 18, 2011, 05:39:44 PM
How many shot 3" in their 3.5"? What the difference in the results?
The results theoretically speaking is .... 12.5% in payload/ performance if the two comparative turkey guns shoot identically efficient

The extra .25 ounce of payload , if you can get that load to shoot efficiently , and although most of the serious members here that shoot the 3.5/12 are able to find that magic combo by trial and error or by having the nice folks on here pass on the information ...thus saving you $$

The extra .25 ounce of payload makes the pressure{= recoil} go right through the sky , that's why everyone here that owns one, that is shooting full 2.25 loads will let you know of its stout recoil -

Some made mention of the Mossberg's and I can tell you that to me they kick me harder than my 10 gauge auto -I am not familiar with the newer Mossbergs but the one I owned , had a horrible recoil pad - I have a 3.5 Bennelli Nova with a limbsaver and it kicks much less than my old Mossberg - I think the difference is not the gun but the recoil pad

But if it shoots tight and hard , to most it is worth the effort to own a 3.5 - If a person is looking for a turkey gun and is weighing the options , most would recommend that you purchase the 3.5 , besides you can always make the choice to shoot 3 inchers if it suits your needs

You can't state it any better than that.

Well said Shannon!

It's very true about the Moss 835 production recoil pad.  That's why they hurt so much after you shoot a 3.5" turkey load.  It's not a gun thing.  Any 3.5 shotgun that isn't a gas operated gun is going to kick hard.  Heck even the 3.5" gas operated semis kick when shooting these shells.  

mossy835

But if it shoots tight and hard , to most it is worth the effort to own a 3.5 - If a person is looking for a turkey gun and is weighing the options , most would recommend that you purchase the 3.5 , besides you can always make the choice to shoot 3 inchers if it suits your needs

You can't state it any better than that.

Well said Shannon!

It's very true about the Moss 835 production recoil pad.  That's why they hurt so much after you shoot a 3.5" turkey load.  It's not a gun thing. Any 3.5 shotgun that isn't a gas operated gun is going to kick hard.  Heck even the 3.5" gas operated semis kick when shooting these shells.  

Now that is a real statement and I have to agree with you the shells kick hard in any gun.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Guys these 3.5" turkey loads kick quite a bit harder than a 458Win Mag elephant gun just so you know.  Anytime you push 2.25oz of lead at around 1100fps your going to feel the thump.  There is a direct correlation between the weight of a payload being pushed and the amount of force felt to the shooters shoulder.  In other words, it takes more powder to push a heavier load 2.25oz load as it would to push a 1.75 or 2oz load.  Not only that but the heavier the object(payload) being pushed the more it resist so to speak the explosion of the powder ignition thus pushing more recoil back to the shooters shoulder.  That's why on centerfire bullets the heavier bullets will actually have more felt recoil.  And also while I am at it I would like to point out a lighter gun will kick harder than a heavier gun.  So actually with a good recoil pad like a Simms the Moss 835 will kick less than the lighter guns shooting these 3.5" turkey loads.  So if your going to shoot a 3.5" turkey load, just suck it up and enjoy the pain.   :z-guntootsmiley:

trkehunr93

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on November 28, 2011, 01:54:57 PM
Guys these 3.5" turkey loads kick quite a bit harder than a 458Win Mag elephant gun just so you know.  Anytime you push 2.25oz of lead at around 1100fps your going to feel the thump.  There is a direct correlation between the weight of a payload being pushed and the amount of force felt to the shooters shoulder.  In other words, it takes more powder to push a heavier load 2.25oz load as it would to push a 1.75 or 2oz load.  Not only that but the heavier the object(payload) being pushed the more it resist so to speak the explosion of the powder ignition thus pushing more recoil back to the shooters shoulder.  That's why on centerfire bullets the heavier bullets will actually have more felt recoil.  And also while I am at it I would like to point out a lighter gun will kick harder than a heavier gun.  So actually with a good recoil pad like a Simms the Moss 835 will kick less than the lighter guns shooting these 3.5" turkey loads.  So if your going to shoot a 3.5" turkey load, just suck it up and enjoy the pain.   :z-guntootsmiley:

:agreed:  The factory pad on the 835 is worthless, first thing I bought for mine was a Simms pad.  This past spring I switched to shooting 3.5" loads and found out that I also needed a Butler Creek comb raising kit because I felt like i got punched in the face after shooting the Hevi 3.5" 6's and 7's while patterning my gun.  Put it on shot the gun again and any worries about the cheek slap (punch) were resolved.  I can shoot the 835 all the live long day now without discomfort.  I really think that Mossberg must translate to "kicks like a mule" because my 500 with the factory pad shooting 3" shells absolutely sucked.

gobbler74

If you like to pattern, pattern, pattern with turkey guns and chokes regardless of the gun or shell..a lead sled makes it so much better. You can stay focused on dialing in your pattern and not the felt recoil. You wont feel it in the field for the most part but that sore shoulder may have more of an effect on your hunting than thought.

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

fountain2

alright mark..whats the results?  i still think 3.5.  set one gun up for turkeys and keep it ready..unless you like me and like to shoot a lot and try stuff :z-guntootsmiley:.

gobblingghost

Quote from: gobbler74 on November 28, 2011, 08:02:21 PM
If you like to pattern, pattern, pattern with turkey guns and chokes regardless of the gun or shell..a lead sled makes it so much better. You can stay focused on dialing in your pattern and not the felt recoil. You wont feel it in the field for the most part but that sore shoulder may have more of an effect on your hunting than thought.

Well I can tell you this if you shot a lead sled with a scoped shotgun it can tear up your mount. I busted 2 B square mounts. Now B square made it good. I sent B square my mount back they were interested in trying find out what happened. I know its not they way it was mounted because it had been on the gun for about three years

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Unless you're hunting geese with Steel Shot, I just don't see the need for 3.5" 12 gauge shells.