turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would you shoot?

Started by SouthernThunder, November 16, 2011, 03:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthernThunder

If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, "Roll, tide, roll!"
                                                        -Bear Bryant

drenalinld

That is a beautiful deer. He is young and if I thought there was a decent chance of him making it a season or two longer, I would not shoot him.

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

turkey slayer

guesswho

Most days I wouldn't even think about shooting him, no beard or spurs they usually get a free pass from me. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

chatterbox

I would kill him in a second. That is a great deer for where I live.

catdaddy

FANMAN

These "would you shoot" posts are all relative to where you are hunting.That deer would be a trophy in a lot of places.If you would be proud of him...SHOOT.

SouthernThunder

This is a North Florida deer so.......probably gonna kill him!   :z-guntootsmiley:

If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, "Roll, tide, roll!"
                                                        -Bear Bryant

hookedspur

I grew up shooting WV bucks ,and that would be a Trophy so Yep !! :fud:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

njdevilsb

I would shoot him without a second thought any year, but especially this year.  I have only seen a 3 point and a spike horn as far as bucks go.  They both got a pass.

Flydown

Tail Feathers

Around here it may be illegal.  State law, 13" inside spread or wider.  I'd probably pass to be on the safe side.
He will be a for sure shooter next year...if he makes it that long.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Houndstooth Game Calls

If I got my bow with me probably would have shot the 6pnt that came through 10minutes ahead of him! :toothy12:Lyle

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Not a chance.

Killing a deer just to say "I killed a buck," or because "The neighbor might shoot it," are horrible reasons to harvest an animal. You have to give an animal a chance to mature and terminating him now prevents any chance of that. Contrary to the opinions of some on this site, to me, hunting is far more about the challenge of harvesting mature animals and less about blasting everything that moves. That being said, mature is a geographically relative concept.

If he would be your best deer then let er rip and don't look back but you can never shoot a good deer if you kill all the decent ones and you can never shoot a great deer if you continually harvest good ones.

I'd take the chance and give the deer the opportunity to blow into something special for the area in which you live.