News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The shells for 2012

Started by gobbler74, November 11, 2011, 11:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Quote from: Deputy 14 on November 17, 2011, 10:41:11 PM
I'm not sure that I would even hunt grey squirrels with steel shot.

Now steel isn't know for patterning... But it works on geese and they can be tough birds to bring down. I remember some old hunting videos when guys started using lead 7's. I also remember them guys running down a lot of turkeys trying to get away. I think this shell will kill but most hunters look for better performance for their buck. Hevi 4's are a smacker well down range.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteNow steel isn't know for patterning

When choked right, a good steel shot combo can throw some nice even patterns....................at 25 to 30 Yards.  

There's no way that a 1.25 ounce load that is half Steel shot will ever throw 100 pellets in 10" at 40 Yards.  I had trouble getting 100 in 10" at 40 Yards with the dreaded 1 5/8 Ounce Hevi13 #6's.  I also had trouble getting 100 in 10" at 40 Yards with 1.75 - 2 Ounce 3" Lead loads.  It's not so easy to break 100, that people are going to be able to do it with half Steel shot.

Gold Spur

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on November 15, 2011, 08:22:52 PM
They're actually slower than the waterfowl loads...they'll kill a bird sure but the payloads are EXACTLY the same as the waterfowl loads with less pep.  Makes no sense...marketing gimmick and a poor one from a company I buy a TON of shells from. 

Yep, these shells have marketing gimmick all over them. I don't care if they sell for half the price of H-13, I'm not buying any.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

mightyjoeyoung

Talked to one of the Hevishot Pro Staffers on another site I moderate on.  When I posted up about these new loads, he knew absolutely NOTHING about them at the time. :help:  He's a good guy and a straight shooter and is a friend of one of the top turkey guys at Hevi.  He said he would talk to him and get the skinny on them.    He really isn't much of a turkey hunter (waterfowl pro staff) but he agrees that a healthy dose of straight shot or mag blends is the way to go... :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI'm not sure that I would even hunt grey squirrels with steel shot.

Steel shot works fine on squirrels, and ducks too for that matter.

gobbler74

Hey guys I found out some info on this shell..
The load is a 4x6 with #4 steel and #6 hevi. The brochure says #4 because of the need for listing the largest size.

Now for all the current lead shooters wanting to try a little something different.

These turkey shells are going to sell for around $10 per 5.  :icon_thumright:
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

chatterbox

Quote from: gobbler74 on December 01, 2011, 04:54:55 PM
Hey guys I found out some info on this shell..
The load is a 4x6 with #4 steel and #6 hevi. The brochure says #4 because of the need for listing the largest size.

Now for all the current lead shooters wanting to try a little something different.

These turkey shells are going to sell for around $10 per 5.  :icon_thumright:
I'm not interested in this load, but aren't most turkey chokes we shoot through not rated for steel?
Not trying to sound foolish, but what kind of choke could you use for this load. Wouldn't a factory full be inadequate for the #6 Hevi?

Tree Hopper

Been reading through this thread here recently & figure I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Hevi Shot has a  20 GA Hevi-13 "Magnum Blend" load out on the market.
My granddaughter uses it or the Hevi 13 #7shot. 3" 1 1/4 oz.

The New "Hevi Metal"- Turkey Load-is for the working man that want's a piece of the pie.
Not every hunter can drop up to $30.00 on a box of 5 shells.
On a standard long range shot of 40 yards this ammo will K.O. Ole Boss Tom & could get you out to 50 yards.
Hevi Shot has their own Choke Tube Systems now for 12 & 20 GA &
all are made to handle Steel Shot as well as any other metal load.
I use them on all my shotguns.After all they are made by Carlson. :you_rock:
Cabela's,Hevi-Shot & Carlson all make Full, X-Full  & XX Full Chokes for use of Steel Shot- Carlson/Hevi Shot is (X-Full & XX-Full).

I have used Hevi 13 & Hevi 13- Magnum Blend along with a Hevi Shot -Thunder Chicken- Choke Tube with great success.
See no reason why the New- Hevi Metal- Turkey ammo won't be a good economical edition to a turkey hunters success.  
Now the working man can get in on the action with Hevi Metal-Turkey ammo & a Hevi Shot-Turkey Choke Tube or a Cabela's.
If they so wish too.(To each their own!)

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteBeen reading through this thread here recently & figure I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Hevi Shot has a  20 GA Hevi-13 "Magnum Blend" load out on the market.
My granddaughter uses it or the Hevi 13 #7shot. 3" 1 1/4 oz.

The New "Hevi Metal"- Turkey Load-is for the working man that want's a piece of the pie.
On a standard long range shot of 40 yards this ammo will K.O. Ole Boss Tom & could get you out to 50 yards.
Hevi Shot has their own Choke Tube Systems now for 12 & 20 GA &
all are made to handle Steel Shot as well as any other metal load.
I use them on all my shotguns.After all they are made by Carlson.
Cabela's,Hevi-Shot & Carlson all make Full, X-Full  & XX Full Chokes for use of Steel Shot- Carlson/Hevi Shot is (X-Full & XX-Full).

I have used Hevi 13 & Hevi 13- Magnum Blend along with a Hevi Shot -Thunder Chicken- Choke Tube with great success.
See no reason why the New- Hevi Metal- Turkey ammo won't be a good economical edition to a turkey hunters success. 
Now the working man can get in on the action with Hevi Metal-Turkey ammo & a Hevi Shot-Turkey Choke Tube or a Cabela's.
If they so wish too.(To each their own!)

I'll ask first.

Employee, or Pro Staff?

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Tree Hopper on December 05, 2011, 11:44:10 AM

A 10 count box of Winchester Supreme 3" LEAD at a whopping $9.00 a box will do the same thing...and probably better imo.   :z-winnersmiley:

Tree Hopper

3" 870 Shell Shucker-Both.

-By far it should be tested like all other turkey loads before hunting. :agreed:

mightyjoeyoung- Hevi-13 vs Win lead... no contest.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Tree Hopper on December 09, 2011, 09:03:54 PM
3" 870 Shell Shucker-Both.

-By far it should be tested like all other turkey loads before hunting. :agreed:

mightyjoeyoung- Hevi-13 vs Win lead... no contest.

Guess what though?  It isn't hevi-13 they put in those shells...it's hevi duck which weighs equivilant to lead anyways so if the steel is #4 and the hevi is sized to match the density of the steel, what's that make for the hevi pellet size?...yup, you guessed it, about the equivilant of #6 lead.  Not sure why you're singing the praises of a load that number one hasn't been proven in the field yet (I know this first hand btw), and number two, has a 1.25 ounce payload in 3", half of which is STEEL SHOT.  Makes your statement that hevi wins over lead every time that much easier to disprove.  With all the talk of, and the PROMOTION of "callin em in close", which to me means 30 yards or less, where is the benefit of this round over say a 1.75 once load of hardened, copper-plated, bufferd #5 lead that can and more to the fact HAS killed more turkeys, and at ranges easily exceeding 40 yards, than you can shake a stick at?  Just to be clear here, I LOVE HEVI SHOT!!!!  I sing the praises of the stuff and of the hevi metal waterfowl loading to any and all who will listen.  But this load is nothing more than a tuned down waterfowl load and I think there's gonna be an awful too many stories of guys who as per the norm and the majority in the turkey woods, misjudged the range and "rolled the bird, but he got right back up and ran off" stories than there are gonna be success stories.  Not the slickest move on EM's part if you ask me and if there are any pro-staff on here that could maybe bend some ears there, you might save more than a few crippled turkeys next spring.  I know you won't have to for me as I'll be using the stuff that I know works...

Tree Hopper

Guess will just have to wait a see what the out come of this new turkey load can & will not do.

bigdale

I feel like these shells will put a hurtin on a bird inside 35 yards. Which is where I prefer my birds anyway

Gadget

Quote from: bigdale on December 13, 2011, 05:01:34 PM
I feel like these shells will put a hurtin on a bird inside 35 yards. Which is where I prefer my birds anyway

I'm with ya, kill most of mine 20-30yds, I'm sure they will do the trick on anything less than 40yds.

Don't see any advantage over lead other than being non-toxic which could make them multipurpose, have to see how they pattern.