OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The shells for 2012

Started by gobbler74, November 11, 2011, 11:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Ok fellas got some info for yall..depending on what you like to shoot you may be interested. Some may have already heard but here goes..
EM is making the hevi metal into a turkey load..half steel, half htl..The 20 ga turkey is 1 oz load of 4 steel x 6 hevi . The 12 ga 3.5" is 1.5 oz of 4 steel x 6 hevi and the 3" is 1-1/4oz of 4 steel x 6 hevi. The 12 ga loads are 1450fps or so advertised. 20 ga is 1250fps. They are still making the 10's in magblend BUT no word on 20 ga magblend as of yet.

I am sure those hevi metal loads will roll one nicely but I'm not a #4 guy  

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

gatrkyhntr70

Wheres the logic in these hevi metal loads???
A # 4 and lighter loads is going to equal low pellet counts and result poor to marginal pattern results!!
Wasnt the whole thing of htl loads increased pattern density and equal energy out of smaller pellets??
Sounds like they want to push off some of the unused shot intended for duck loads on turkey hunters.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Devastator

after 56 beards on the wall i should change,and countless fall birds killed.always looking to improve.ya never know about the new stuff

mightyjoeyoung

#4 steel just won't cut it on a big Spring gobbler in my book.  It bleeds off energy too fast and besides, the Hevi Shot in Hevi Metal is the 10 gm/cc stuff that they put in Hevi Duck, not the 12gm/cc stuff that's in Hevi Goose.  There is a lot less of the htl shot in HM loads than there is steel shot too.  Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE Hevi Metal and use it a lot and it absolutely CHRUSHES geese but that stuff just isn't gonna cut it for turkeys imo.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ccleroy

Uhhhh no, steel shot for turkeys is a bad idea!

CASH

They need to go back to what worked well originally and stop making up all of this crap.  If I want to shoot an ounce and a quarter load, I'll shoot a 2 3/4" shell
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

gobbler74

One thing to be highly aware of with that shell makeup is your choke tube..I personally would use a factory full and NOTHING tighter due to the steel.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Old Gobbler

1400 fps "steel" will end up at 673 fps at 40 yards -Now the hevi portion of that load will be another story --

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

3" 870 Shell Shucker

It will likely pattern fairly well, and kill turkeys inside 40 Yards.  The recoil will be very mild, due to the light payload.  Why are they doing this?

surehuntsalot

those are going to be worthless for turkeys
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mightyjoeyoung

They're actually slower than the waterfowl loads...they'll kill a bird sure but the payloads are EXACTLY the same as the waterfowl loads with less pep.  Makes no sense...marketing gimmick and a poor one from a company I buy a TON of shells from. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteIt will likely pattern fairly well, and kill turkeys inside 40 Yards.  The recoil will be very mild, due to the light payload.  Why are they doing this?

I want 1.75 to 2 ounces of Lead or HTL shot in a 3" Turkey shell. 

I know you get more pellets per ounce with Steel, (they have more volume than density), and that #4 Steel will do a fine job out to 30 Yards on the head and neck of any bird in America. 

But how are they going to make a solid 40 Yard performer out of a 1.25 Ounce shell, that's half-filled with Steel Shot? 

***Not to mention that Turkey Chokes aren't rated for Steel Shot.***

So we're supposed to believe that a 1.25 Ounce shell fired through a Full Choke that is rated for Steel Shot is what we need for a Turkey Hunting Rig?

They'll probably make a fine Duck Hunting load.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on November 16, 2011, 02:22:56 AM
QuoteIt will likely pattern fairly well, and kill turkeys inside 40 Yards.  The recoil will be very mild, due to the light payload.  Why are they doing this?

They'll probably make a fine Duck Hunting load.

That IS their duck load...

3" 870 Shell Shucker

They are just trying to offer a cheaper HTL shell, at a price that will compete with premium Lead loads.  But why not a Lead / HTL shell, instead of a Steel / HTL shell?  This is crazy.

Deputy 14

I'm not sure that I would even hunt grey squirrels with steel shot.