OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Browning A-5 is back.

Started by allaboutshooting, October 07, 2011, 02:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

For all of us who loved the old humpback A-5 Browning, there is good news. The A-5 is back but new and improved.

You can read about it at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=509

Browning is introducing several new lines that look very interesting as well as bringing back the A-5.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

gobbler74

I hope other gun companies follow suit. There sure are some nice guns needing a remake..
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

allaboutshooting

Quote from: JohnDoe on October 07, 2011, 03:21:48 PM
When? No info on website.

That press release was hot off the press, maybe 10 minutes or so, when I published it. I'll be talking to those folks next week and I'll see if I can get an approximation of the shelf date.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Quote from: gobbler74 on October 07, 2011, 07:34:06 PM
I hope other gun companies follow suit. There sure are some nice guns needing a remake..

Agreed. It seems that Browning is on a roll, reintroducing several "new" guns that were very popular, discontinued for one reason or another and now coming back. The A-Bolt and now the A-5.

They're also coming out with a new choke design "The Invector Double Seal" Choke System.
You can read about it here http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=511

This is a whole new design for Browning guns.

Thanks,
Clark

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The Invector DS Chokes look like a long "Mobil choke" with a Brass Band at the entry end.  I appreciate the effort to seal off gases, but isn't the need for that only increased by muzzle-end threads on the choke tubes?  It's sort of like creating a need for a fix, and providing the fix, all in one design.

Since Invector and Invector Plus chokes are threaded on the entry end, as well as RemChokes and others, I would think that there isn't such a great need for a Brass Band to be added to their design.

This sounds like something a design engineer came up with.

FWIW, I hate the Mobil choke design, based upon a previously owned Nova.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on October 08, 2011, 01:07:48 AM
The Invector DS Chokes look like a long "Mobil choke" with a Brass Band at the entry end.  I appreciate the effort to seal off gases, but isn't the need for that only increased by muzzle-end threads on the choke tubes?  It's sort of like creating a need for a fix, and providing the fix, all in one design.

Since Invector and Invector Plus chokes are threaded on the entry end, as well as RemChokes and others, I would think that there isn't such a great need for a Brass Band to be added to their design.

This sounds like something a design engineer came up with.

FWIW, I hate the Mobil choke design, based upon a previously owned Nova.

They appear similar to several chokes that thread at the muzzle or near the muzzle. The Remington Pro Bore chokes, Benelli Crio, Beretta and some others.

I will be speaking with the Browning folks next week about them.

Thanks,
Clark

Old Gobbler

I like the looks of the gun , I checked it out ant they tip the scales at 7 pounds and 3-5 ounces indicating it ill have handling qualities equal to some of the newer European Auto's - I think it is a good move for Browning to make that gun

I have reservations about any choke system that has threads at the very end of the choke , due to bad experiences with friends not maintaining them and the choke becoming a permanent addition to the barrel - perhaps the bronze bushing is the fix for the residue clogging up the treads resulting in a stuck choke?

I am unsure who will be willing/able to make aftermarket chokes due to the complicated design incorporating a bronze bushing

operator error in my opinion but every time I see a new hunter in the woods with a Beretta or Benelli I recommend they clean /lube it after every use 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Old Gobbler on October 08, 2011, 09:29:11 AM
I like the looks of the gun , I checked it out ant they tip the scales at 7 pounds and 3-5 ounces indicating it ill have handling qualities equal to some of the newer European Auto's - I think it is a good move for Browning to make that gun

I have reservations about any choke system that has threads at the very end of the choke , due to bad experiences with friends not maintaining them and the choke becoming a permanent addition to the barrel - perhaps the bronze bushing is the fix for the residue clogging up the treads resulting in a stuck choke?

I am unsure who will be willing/able to make aftermarket chokes due to the complicated design incorporating a bronze bushing

operator error in my opinion but every time I see a new hunter in the woods with a Beretta or Benelli I recommend they clean /lube it after every use 

Excellent observations. Over the years when I've seen problems develop with muzzle-end threaded choke tubes, it has normally been because the choke has loosened in some way. It really does not take much. They are not as forgiving as choke tubes that are threaded in the gas seal area.

A small amount of gas escaping around the gas seal can create pressure problems and of course also allow particles of powder, wad or even shot to come between the choke and the inside of the barrel, resulting in "bad things happening" at times.

Most, if not all, muzzle-end threaded chokes are also very thin walled, as apparently are the new Browning DS chokes. That does allow a more even barrel profile and as the press release points out, reduces the need for muzzle flare.

The problem has always been that the combination of a thin wall choke, muzzle-end threads and the tendency of chokes to shoot loose has lead to some problems. If you add to that the variance in possible barrel i.d.s it can become complicated in a hurry.

The addition of the "brass band" at the gas seal and the fact that Browning should be able to control the variances in the i.d. of their barrels could allow a real improvement in this design. That will of course remain to be seen with actual use.

The other side of this is that it is another choke tube thread design. Apparently the only guns that will accept this design are the new ones from Browning, including the new A-5. I would expect Browning to introduce new sporting, trap, skeet guns, etc. that will use this design as well. Time will tell.

Thanks,
Clark

LBSS

Id love a A5 in 10 ga with a 26" barrel and in mossyoak duck blind 3+1

muddy

I have an old humpback 20 gauge and love the thing, always wanted to pop on a 12 gauge but they're usually in the "premium" section at most gun shows or stores and cost quite a bit.  I then save up and buy a SBE2 and Browning says they're re-releasing the A-5?  I wonder if they'll "get it right" the first production round or two?  I love my old A-5 so much I'd consider returning my SBE2 today and waiting for the new production.

Naaaaa...  I'll just keep the SBE2 and hopefully get a new A-5 a few years from now after they work the kinks out!

natman

It's not really an A5. It's pure badge engineering, i.e. they made a new and different shotgun that shares a few styling cues with a real A5 and reused the name:

QuoteYou may notice a family resemblance, but let's get one thing straight, this ain't your Grandpa's Auto-5. In fact, the iconic humpback-shaped receiver is the only thing this new Browning autoloader shares with its legendary namesake.
http://www.browning.com/library/infonews/detail.asp?ID=372

Old Gobbler

Absent is the  Prince of Wales/broomstick grip on the old Belgian A5's and I would have like to seen that also on this new auto

Eyebrow raising is the ease of removing the magazine plug ....I am sure some folks that are a fan of ghost loading the Italian autos with a 4th round  to skirt the 3 shot migratory restriction will stretch their necks at that  feature - I will refrain from commenting on that feature any more to avoid controversy     
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI think it is a good move for Browning to make that gun

Oh yes, indeed.  I just wish they would have used INV+ chokes.

ncturkey

I watched the video. I think it is funnny having a duck hunt in the summer time with all the leaves on the trees and the brass was really green for a fall duck hunt. But the gun looks good. I do not like the choke system at all.
Quote from: natman on October 08, 2011, 11:46:15 AM
It's not really an A5. It's pure badge engineering, i.e. they made a new and different shotgun that shares a few styling cues with a real A5 and reused the name:

QuoteYou may notice a family resemblance, but let's get one thing straight, this ain't your Grandpa's Auto-5. In fact, the iconic humpback-shaped receiver is the only thing this new Browning autoloader shares with its legendary namesake.
http://www.browning.com/library/infonews/detail.asp?ID=372

allaboutshooting

I had a long conversation with the Browning folks this week about the A-5, the 735 and the DS choke system. I hope to have one of those new DS chokes in my hands soon so that I can see first hand the innovations of that system.

I do have a better understanding of why they came out with this new choke system after our conversation.

The A-5 should be available next spring and the 735 prior to year-end.

Thanks,
Clark