OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Browning A-5 is back.

Started by allaboutshooting, October 07, 2011, 02:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

"I do have a better understanding of why they came out with this new choke system after our conversation."

Cool.  I think everyone's biggest question is, how is the new design better than the well proven INV+ design? 

(Are the patterns better, and is the design bulletproof?)

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: natman on October 08, 2011, 11:46:15 AM
It's not really an A5. It's pure badge engineering, i.e. they made a new and different shotgun that shares a few styling cues with a real A5 and reused the name:

QuoteYou may notice a family resemblance, but let's get one thing straight, this ain't your Grandpa's Auto-5. In fact, the iconic humpback-shaped receiver is the only thing this new Browning autoloader shares with its legendary namesake.
http://www.browning.com/library/infonews/detail.asp?ID=372
Agreed.
Anybody seen America lately?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on October 13, 2011, 12:11:01 AM
"I do have a better understanding of why they came out with this new choke system after our conversation."

Cool.  I think everyone's biggest question is, how is the new design better than the well proven INV+ design? 

(Are the patterns better, and is the design bulletproof?)

Those were my exact questions to the Browning folks. The Invector+ choke system has generally been regarded as one of the best by many shooters. The chokes are "sturdy" and rugged. What possible advantage could be gained by putting the threads at the muzzle end of the choke?

After my conversation, I better understand their reasoning. Here's what I learned and some of my conclusions after that conversation.

It's really all a part of what began with the Maxus and the Vector Pro lengthened forcing cone that's about 2" longer than other factory barrel forcing cones. That seems to have worked pretty well for them with the .742 i.d. barrels and the next step was to make a much longer choke with a longer forcing cone and longer parallel section.

They decided to put more of the choke inside the barrel. A thinner choke allowed them to keep the "bulge" at the muzzle end to a minimum. The DS feature, at least from their engineering point of view, gives them 2 points of contact, kind of like having threads on both ends of the choke, to prevent escaping gas and possibly debris from going around the choke if or as it loosens. (Most of us have noted that gas does escape around the gas skirt of most chokes, even if they are tight.)

Escaping gas around a choke tube can cause very bad things to happen as you know. Pressure problems can cause chokes to collapse with resultant damage to the choke and possibly the barrel.

I have not yet had a DS choke in my hands but hope to soon. Reportedly, it has a "spring-like" action that really seals it at the internal shoulder and keeps it tight. That would be a very good thing of course.

It all seems to make sense and I can see the reasoning behind it. Longer forcing cones - chamber to barrel and a longer forcing cone in the choke plus a longer parallel section in the choke normally produce better patterns.

The down side of course is that it adds another "choke system" to an already crowded field. That makes it pretty tough for after market choke tube manufacturers to keep up and for retailers who may not be able to meet the demand of their customers...if the design takes off with the consumer. The many designs of Beretta chokes, the Pro Bore Chokes from Remington are all examples of this.

Time will tell how this new design is accepted by shooters and hunters. I suspect that if better patterns are the result, it will sell. If not, it won't. The marketplace will decide.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

3" 870 Shell Shucker

"The marketplace will decide."

Thanks for all of the information, Clark.  Maybe it will be an improvement, but most people are going to be sceptical about it at first.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on October 14, 2011, 05:14:54 AM
"The marketplace will decide."

Thanks for all of the information, Clark.  Maybe it will be an improvement, but most people are going to be sceptical about it at first.

You're welcome. It will only be in 2 shotguns initially, so the folks who try those will be able to see how they work for them.

Thanks,
Clark

gobbler74

What group of hunters they target wil also decide if it stays. I hope so.We always need more guns
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

allaboutshooting

Quote from: gobbler74 on October 14, 2011, 09:10:15 AM
What group of hunters they target wil also decide if it stays. I hope so.We always need more guns

Yes, I'm sure that's correct. New guns are always interesting. Some I like and some I don't but it sure is fun trying to find out which they are.

Thanks,
Clark