North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3in or 3.5

Started by knightrider, February 15, 2011, 12:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which do you shoot and if you would leave me a reply why?

3 in
35 (38%)
3.5 in
57 (62%)

Total Members Voted: 88

knightrider

thanks guys, just wondering every ones prefference, i shoot 3 i dont see the added advantage compared to getting the snot kicked out of me by a 3.5. :z-guntootsmiley:

decoykrvr

Over the years, I've hunted turkeys w/a 10 gauge, 12 gauge 31/2" and now primarily w/ a 3".  The innovations during the last 10 years in shotshells and choke tubes for turkey hunting have elevated the performance level of the 3", 12 gauge to the point that a 3" load is all I need for a light run n' gun shotgun. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at a gobbler @ 45-50 yards w/ the patterns I get w/ Hev-13, 7's and 6's, and have killed birds stone dead at those ranges.

hookedspur

I use a 20 most times but if I use a 12 it will be a 3.5.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bowhunter2k9

well besides patterning, I never feel the added kick.  When I'm hunting I never feel the kick unless its like 5 shots ha. So 3.5 is worth the extra umph for the added pellets
Romans 8:38-39

R AJ

I have em but the 3" does all I need and more. 3.5 in my Baikal MP-153 is like a dream compared to my Rem 870 SM.

njdevilsb

3.5 here.  Like has already been said, while hunting, the kick doesn't bother me.  Sighting in you'll start to feel it, but if you have a good pad or shooting rest, it isn't bad.  I like sending those extra few pellets at them.

mcgruff1533

My Turkey shotgun has a 3.5" chamber, but most often, I shoot 3" shells.    It's nice to have that ability to shoot the longer shells and not be stuck with a shorter chamber.   

I mostly shoot 3" shells, but will shoot 3.5" shells if the pattern is better.     It just depends on shell and choke selection.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

3" 12 Gauge offerings cover the full gamut of applications very well.  Plus, the recoil isn't abusive.

Basser69

I marked 3.5" which is what I shoot in the 10 GA. and the 12 GA. But if the kids are with me, they will be shooting a 3" so you need to add a both choice  :angel9:

new2turkey

shad309

Hognutz

3.5'' for me. I like having the snot kicked out of me. The reason I shoot 3.5'' is because they don't make a 4''..Ooh Rah..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Gobble!

3.5 inch the kick does not bother me and it has more pellets

HogBiologist

my gun wont handle 3.5, so i shoot 3"
Certified Wildlife Biologist

goblr77

3.5. More pellets at the same velocity.