turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which Auto?

Started by GunRunner, July 30, 2011, 04:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

I have used a Browning BPS pump since I started turkey hunting 10 years ago and it has been trouble free and reliable. No issues at all with it....but I have been interested in buying an automatic turkey gun for the last several years.
I would like to hear from all of you on which auto shotgun to buy. The Benelli SBE is a little expensive but if it is the best I would certainly find a way to get it. What do ya'll recommend?

Thanks in advance.

GunRunner

vaturkey

IMO the Benelli SBE2 is the best. You would never ever have to buy another turkey gun. I've had & shot lots of turkey guns in my life & Benelli wins hands down. Just my 2 cents ! Good luck with whatever you choose !

vaturkey  :newmascot:
Vaturkey

kdog

I dont own one but i have heard the Benellis are the best as well.I have owned a Beretta A390 and own a Remington 11-87 and i had no problems or failures with them.

mossy835

Most likely any current new shotgun that is taken care of will out last the shooter or at least it should! To me the feel of the gun as I hold it up and work the action is important and personal preference is where it is made, if there is one made in the USA that weighs heavy now with me. Your choice your gun enjoy it in good health.

drenalinld

I'm an SBEII guy, but think it's just whatever feels right when you shoulder it. The gas autos shoot great but get dirty much quicker because of the gas coming back in the action. The SBEII is so simple and reliable you can't go wrong. That being said they are a little finicky for heavy turkey loads because of the small bore diameter. I would check out the Browning Maxxis as well.

OLE RASPY

My opinion the benelli are to high priced just to be strictly a turkey gun.They are great guns though.I like mossberg so im reccomending a 935 mossberg.Mossberg has always shoulder real well for me and feels good in my hands.What ever fits u best u need to buy.Good luck with whatever u choose.

davisd9

Not an auto kinda guy but the 11-87 and 935 are two that I would look at.  Good Luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hookedspur

Benelli,    SBE2 if your shooting 3.5" -- M2 if your going to shoot 3"  :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

dirt road ninja

Quote from: davisd9 on July 30, 2011, 07:36:26 PM
Not an auto kinda guy but the 11-87 and 935 are two that I would look at.  Good Luck!
:agreed:

Devastator

i have a sp10,3 1187's,an 1100, and a model 48 sportsman model 16 gauge that kick's worse than an 835 mb.no kidding.recoil opperated.wow that little thing pounds ya.and i have never had a problem with any of them.i guess all products from all the big dogs have there trouble.

Devastator

Quote from: timb on July 30, 2011, 09:34:09 PM
i have a sp10,3 1187's,an 1100, and a model 48 sportsman model 16 gauge that kick's worse than an 835 mb.no kidding.recoil opperated.wow that little thing pounds ya.and i have never had a problem with any of them.i guess all products from all the big dogs have there trouble.
KEEPTHEM ALL CLEANED!!!

savduck

I have owned 1187, Super black eagle, beretta extrema, stoeger m2000, Ithica model 51 featherweight and a beretta 390. By far, I think the 390 is the best.

you can still get the older 390s, but my suggestion would be to get a 3901 citizen. It is the new version of the 390...has a timney worked trigger and is half the price of the benellis. I owned a beneli  and wasnt all that impressed.
Georgia Boy

nflorek

I had a SBEII when they first came out it was a nice lite gun but a few years of duck hunting with 3.5's and the forearm and forearm cap would get loose. It would make a nice turkey gun mine just did not hold up too a lot of shooting with heavy loads.

WyoHunter

Beretta 391 or the new A400 Xplor
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

allaboutshooting

You've already had a lot of excellent suggestions. I own a number of self-loaders and  I think it comes down to what feels right to you when you shoulder it, balances well in your hands and makes economic sense.

You may want to consider looking for a good used SBE, the original model. They are tough, well made guns and can sometimes be found for very reasonable prices.

The gun that seems to fit me best these days in the Vinci. It also has very little muzzle jump, in the event that you need a second or follow-up shot. Mine is the original 3" model and it's really a fine gun.

The good news is that there are many excellent guns out there. I wish you well in your search.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."