OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which Auto?

Started by GunRunner, July 30, 2011, 04:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

right now  i currenly have a vinci as my only auto loader.i think if i were looking for an auto mostly for turkey and not alot of hi volume shooting i would probably look into a gas operated 3.5 for  the recoil reduction properties.that being said i do love the benelli models for their simplicity, reliability and their lighter weight.

Britton40

Make sure you look at the Winchester SX3 in a 26" barrel.  Light and a pleasure to shoot.

TLT

Super X 2 or 3 Either one will hold their own against any auto loader there.

pcgobbler

Remmy 1187 shurshot.  If you look around you can get in the $850-900 range.  Don't overlook Winchester SX3, Browning Silver, and Benilli M2 American.  I only own the Remington, but have heard great things about the other listed also.

Gobble Nole

I would have to recommend a Benelli for an autoloader.  I currently own an M1 and have recently purchased a super Vinci for both waterfowl and turkeys.  There is nothing that shoulders, cycles, and is as dependable as a Benelli.  I also have an 1187 that is a great gun, but doesn't truly compare to the Benellis in the auto loader category.  I chose the super Vinci over the SBE II due to it being lighter and just liking the way it swings a little better.  The super Vinci tears down in seconds and I truly cannot find anything that I don't like about it.  Oh yeah, the price but hopefully it will last like my M1.  I have had the M1 for 12 years duck hunting all the time, mud, turkeys, boat paddle and have never had to due a thing to it other than clean it...

JUGHEAD

I LOVE the feel of the SBEII's.....for a wing shooting gun.  But, for the life of me, I can't fathom why anybody would want an intertia driven autoloader for a turkey only gun (considering a gas gun will do a much better job of taming recoil).  Does it really matter if a gun "shoulders so good" and won't jam even if you shoot it a million times for being humped up at the base of a tree hunting turkeys and shooting at most 10 times a season?  The logic just don't make a bunch of sense to me though I fully understand why somebody would want one for a do it all shotgun.  Ya'll educate me.     

savduck

Quote from: JUGHEAD on August 01, 2011, 06:00:45 PM
I LOVE the feel of the SBEII's.....for a wing shooting gun.  But, for the life of me, I can't fathom why anybody would want an intertia driven autoloader for a turkey only gun (considering a gas gun will do a much better job of taming recoil).  Does it really matter if a gun "shoulders so good" and won't jam even if you shoot it a million times for being humped up at the base of a tree hunting turkeys and shooting at most 10 times a season?  The logic just don't make a bunch of sense to me though I fully understand why somebody would want one for a do it all shotgun.  Ya'll educate me.     

:icon_thumright: My current 3" stoeger and my old black eagle used to knock the dog snot out of me. The berretta dont kick at all and they have an excellent trigger
Georgia Boy

JUGHEAD

Quote from: savduck on August 01, 2011, 06:05:42 PM:icon_thumright: My current 3" stoeger and my old black eagle used to knock the dog snot out of me. The berretta dont kick at all and they have an excellent trigger
I was told by one gunsmith prior to buying my 935 that he wouldn't touch a Mossberg trigger.  Got a 2nd opinion from a different gunsmith....he worked my 935 down to a zero creep, crisp, 3#......better than some of my not used as often rifles.  I've also been REALLY surprised by how little recoil (relatively speaking) that my gun has too.  I would MUCH rather shoot it with a 3.5" Mag Blend (I hear folks that shoot pumps for turks saying that this round kicks terribly) than I had my 870 slug gun with a hot, 2 3/4" or 3" sabot slug. 

fallsflight

Not sure how much you are wanting to spend, but the Remington VersaMax is a real nice gun in my opinion.  It is a lot of fun to shoot and so far has done what it was designed to do.  Recoil reduction makes shooting the magnum rounds a breeze and the gun will shoot anything you put it in and spit it back out.

beagler

Gotta go with the SBE 2 as well. :z-guntootsmiley:
Never Misses

drenalinld

Quote from: JUGHEAD on August 01, 2011, 06:00:45 PM
I LOVE the feel of the SBEII's.....for a wing shooting gun.  But, for the life of me, I can't fathom why anybody would want an intertia driven autoloader for a turkey only gun (considering a gas gun will do a much better job of taming recoil).  Does it really matter if a gun "shoulders so good" and won't jam even if you shoot it a million times for being humped up at the base of a tree hunting turkeys and shooting at most 10 times a season?  The logic just don't make a bunch of sense to me though I fully understand why somebody would want one for a do it all shotgun.  Ya'll educate me.    

Why would you worry about recoil on a gun you only shoot at most 10 time a season?

It is lighter for run and gun hunting. It makes a difference for those of us who may walk several miles in a day of turkey hunting.
Theoretically, an inertia driven auto will have a higher velocity than a gas operated auto because the bolt stays engaged longer. Admittedly, I don't know how much difference you will actually realize in the field, but it makes me feel better that the energy is going out the barrel and not the action.

For me, the drawbacks of hunting with a Benelli for turkeys are, small bore diameter and price, but I still carry one to the turkey woods a lot.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Benelli, without a doubt, makes the most reliable autoloader on the market.  However, one only maximizes that reliability when they are in waterfowl/dove/ skeet shooting situations where many, many rounds are being fired in one session.

Today's gas autoloaders are incredibly reliable with the same amount of maintenance that one would have to put into a Benelli to keep it functioning propertly.

Furthermore, Benelli's have a VERY tight bore diameter (I think .723 or .718) and they are not the optimal gun if one is desiring a truly impressive pattern at 40 yards and beyond.

Backbored shotguns such as the Winchester SX3/SX2, Browning Silver/Gold/Maxus, or even the Mossberg 935 are by better platforms to start with than the Benelli.

Goodluck in your search.

beagler

Benelli SBE 2 or Beretta Xtrema II.
Never Misses

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: beagler on August 12, 2011, 10:42:37 PM
Benelli SBE 2 or Beretta Xtrema II.

Im gonna pick up a 930.  Great gun for the money.  But you already know how I feel about Mossbergs don't you Beagler?   :TooFunny: 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

JUGHEAD

Quote from: drenalinld on August 07, 2011, 07:06:34 AMWhy would you worry about recoil on a gun you only shoot at most 10 time a season?
Because it sux being kicked in the face with the equivalent force of a young mule?  ;D