OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

This Thing We Do....the good, the bad and the ugly

Started by eggshell, July 21, 2024, 06:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

It's that time of year where we reflect, debate, hope and plan. We don't have a lot of hunting to post about so I thought I'd take a few minutes and share some thoughts about this thing we do called turkey hunting. Having done it from it's infancy in my region and for 52 plus years, I think perhaps I can share some perspective on the full experience.

Turkey hunting has brought me the full gambit of feelings. From joy to peace, to excitement, to anger to frustration. It has saved my life and almost literally cost me my life. I have made it an idol and  my healing balm, and I realized it's just not that important.

In the early days as a novice I was in it for nothing more than a new experience. My first encounters was so extraordinary they were like a drug, I had found my magic mushroom and I was hooked. I set about determined to learn everything possible about hunting these bastards of the woods. I had hunted many animals but none of them built a fire in my gut like this loud mouthed devil of the hills. The very experience of having a conversation with him was like walking into a fantasy. I took countless butt kickings and it seemed I would never win a one on one match, but I did. The very first time I looked down the gun barrel at a gobbler I thought my heart would burst and I couldn't hold my gun still. I was so nervous I could not even write my name. Pure adrenaline ravaged my body and mind. If there was a drug better than this I doubted it.

The ensuing years found me honing my skills and letting turkey hunting take over way too much of my life. Like any other drug I hurt others to get my fix. I only tell this part of the story as a warning to those who may be falling into this trap as a young turkey hunter.

Years passed and I learned success could be expected with rising populations ad developed skills. I learned sharing my skills was a lot of fun too. I still count my best experiences helping others and enjoying companionship in the woods.

I think we all have to have a certain amount of success before we can settle into just enjoying the hunt and I pray that comes sooner than later for those still on that path. It took me a very log time to get here but I did. It all came down in a year when trial and tragedy came crashing down on me and I became a broken man. Depressed and beaten I entered the fall season. I was so ill with depression that I couldn't even work. So I went hunting, the woods was the only place that these burdens never followed me. It was my only solace and comfort. Very early in that season I had a chance to fill my only tag, but I couldn't, because then it would end. I passed up 57 birds that fall and it remains my only unfilled fall tag in Ohio. What I learned was I didn't need to hunt these birds to kill any more I needed them to heal my soul, they are a blessing from God. Those days ended my must kill to succeed mentality.

As much healing as I found in the woods, I also found tragedy. A close friend was killed in a turkey hunting accident. I couldn't imagine ever going through it myself, but fate comes calling. In the fall of 2009 I was shot during a turkey hunt and I lay dying on a forest floor. BY God's grace I survived and I live to hunt again. I almost lost it all'

Although this post is long. I could write many pages on my journey, but I won't. All I want to say is let's take a moment in this off season and reflect on who we are as turkey hunters and people and who we want to be. I see way too much griping, anger and consternation among my hunting buddies. I realize some of the concerns have valid points, but let's work towards friendly and beneficial solutions. I never want to have another spot argument, I will concede anyone the spot. There will be another day and another bird, but we are all brothers and we should Love one another. I will always cherish the healing powers of this sport, but I resolve to no longer let it be a poison.

Thanks for listening to the musing from an old man.

Tell me a good reason why you do this thing we do....

Kygobblergetter

I always enjoy reading your posts. You have such a way with words and expressing feelings and emotions that I struggle with. Thanks for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Cobra

Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Badger

I enjoyed the story and makes one reflect on many years of hunting. One can never be too cautious and careful. I as well am aware of a few individuals hurt in hunting accidents

GobbleNut

Great write-up, Dana.  Your philosophy on these matters is, and has always been, similar to mine...as you know.  In the outdoor world, spring gobbler hunting is the passion of many of us here.  However, it is best to keep it in the proper perspective, and relationship, to the rest of our lives and the people that are in it. 

There is a fine line between having a passion for something versus having an obsession that overwhelms and overrides other things in our lives that perhaps should be higher priorities. Recognizing the balance that is needed can at times be difficult.

Having said that, I don't begrudge folks whose circumstances in life allow them to follow this passion to whatever degree they wish to.  Admittedly, over the decades there have been plenty of times in my life that I, too, have wished that I was out turkey hunting rather than having to deal with my personal circumstances in life that kept me from being there. 

Curiously, when I reached the point a few years back where I had/have the time and wherewithal to turkey hunt as much as I want to, I came to realize that I did not want to give up the other "things" and relationships in my life to do so. But, like you infer, maybe that attitude is just an age-related thing. If so, we certainly fall into that category...   ;D  :D

NCL

That is a very powerful message. Thank you for sharing those thoughts. I agree with Gobblenut that insight probably comes from age and certainly experience. I have not killed many turkeys and do not feel diminished by lack of success due to the incredible times I have been a field

Happy

Good explanation, Dana.
For me, it was an infatuation with turkeys. Everyone in my family deer hunted. Turkeys were an enigma as well as the select few that hunted them. My personal thrill has always come from getting close and beating an animals senses. Not to get preachy, but I like technology less than the average hunter. It takes away from my challenge and sense of fair play. I was just born to hunt them. I can't explain it more than that. However, as a kid growing up without a father, I was determined to do a better job for my kids. I have always put family first. I never missed my kids' games or family functions for hunting. I never wanted to. For many years, I worked a lot, most weeks being gone at least 4-5 days. It was what I needed to do to give my wife and kids a good life. I would prioritize my time home to my family, maybe getting to turkey hunt 4-5 days a year. Now that my kids are older, i actually have more freedom than ever. I have been fortunate to kill a good many and will kill some more. But just being in the spring woods, hearing a gobble, watching my youngest shaking with excitement as a gobbler approaches or watching my buddy try and light a cigarette after he just had a gobbler in his lap is enough. It's a very deep passion and my favorite outdoor activity. But it isn't about numbers, having an audience, getting a reputation as a "killer" or anything of that nature. It's about the personal satisfaction of being able to go into the woods and put my skills to test.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WV Flopper

I do this thing we do.... Because it's what I love. Preparation , scouting "My own way", planning, travel. I love the process, the birds tweeting, the crows crowing...the anticipation of a gobbler gobbling.

I love moving in, setting up, positioning, getting ready. Finally, when I make a call, if a response is given, my heart is racing. The back and forth, the turkey gaining ground and then backing out. I love the battle. I think I love getting beat more than success. But, getting beat only drives me more.

I am fortunate, I have ample Vaca time and don't miss work to hunt. I have a women that knows the mountains rejuvenate me, As do the rivers! She has told me before to "go to the river to fish/listen to the water". When I need to clear myself. " Must go thank her now for that."

Thank you for the OP! I mean that. I like it, and you are correct. It made me think back through my past as a turkey hunter and what I have evolved from and what I have evolved too. I have some work to do.

Dougas

When I first began turkey hunting, I was already an accomplished deer, elk and bear hunter in archery, muzzle loader and modern fire arms. My desire to hunt turkeys and upland birds at the time, stemmed from being a full time taxidermist that wanted to expand into mounting birds. I needed specimens to practice on. When I saw how good the meat could be, I was hooked.
I hunt for three reasons. Most importantly, to get meat. Secondly and oddly enough, to experience a link to the distant past, when hunting was a way of life for most and not a pastime. I guess for nostalgia reasons, even if just to feel a link to a time when my dad and my grandfather were carrying the guns and I was a tagalong. Finally, because I am good at it. Not great. Not the best. Just good at it and I figure that if you are good at something you should do it.
Although, I enjoy every aspect of the hunt from the planning to the pot, those things do not fall into the reasons category, but into the results that hunting leaves on my psyche category. I feel incomplete when I do not hunt. It is as much a part of me as my blood, flesh and bones and I could never separate it from me or me from it.

arkrem870

I was called to the principals office when I was around 12. I walked around a corner and saw dad standing in the lobby area in his green army fatigues holding a gobbler. Everyone was crowded around looking at it. Arkansas turkey hunting was just starting to boom and some what new. I became obsessed that moment.

Killed my first turkey during that falls season. My second the following spring. And two more gobblers the next spring. Then went on to Missouri to extend my season. Then the following year to the early opener states. At 19-20 years old we were hunting mid March til the last day of May every chance we got.  Tags were cheap. Gas was cheap.  Pressure was low. We were straight killing turkeys. 

Fast forward 20 years later. Kids. Ball games. Small business owner. Etc I still hunt every chance I get. This past spring I hunted 6 states on short trips.

The hunting landscape has changed tremendously.... The loss of opportunity is hard to grasp. The way it used to be to what we have now is sickening.

I'm starting to feel bad about killing them. With 10x the pressure these weary old gobblers don't have much of a chance and the majority of the turkeys I shoot on public lands have stray pellets from past run ins with hunters.

The last few seasons my feelings toward Tom have changed from my enemy I was set out to kill to more of a friend of sorts. And I do have a little regret and embarrassment over the amount of gobblers I've killed.

That said I'm looking forward to the next chance I get to watch the woods awaken and sit quietly in anticipation of Toms gobble.  It fills my soul and still gives me butterflys

LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Tom007

I really can't add anything better to this fine story. Thank you for sharing, it has significant meaning to all of us...

TrackeySauresRex

Another great read. You have definitely been on some path and I hope you continue to find peace, strength and enjoyment in doing this. One of the biggest things I've learned in life when you love something like this, you don't ever want it to feel like a job.
The wisdom from "an old man" is our greatest tool in life. We better be listening.
Thank You
B-Well
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Zobo

I agree with you, the enjoyment we receive from this activity we all love so much is a blessing from God. But there are so many blessings to enjoy and be thankful for.
  This is recreation we are talking about, an advocation for most of us, and only as important as the importance we place on it. So keeping that in perspective is necessary, thank you for reinforcing and pointing that out.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

3bailey3

Wow some how I had missed this! Thanks for sharing! Egg you had posted on a thread I had posted about my son and it meant the world to me! Thank you sir!

Greg Massey

One of my biggest reflections of the pass is remembering all the hunts and getting to see those sunrises that the good lord has created. The first morning gobble is something I wish everyone could hear and what comes next is the rush and hope to be successful in your chase of him. I do agree with others it's not always about the kill, but carrying a gobbler over your shoulder is a great accomplishment. In my opinion never take it for granted.