turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

It Will Come A Day!

Started by WV Flopper, July 18, 2024, 10:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

....When your family vacation is derailed. When, where you have went on vacation the residents decide there are too many Nonresidents there for them to be able to enjoy their area.

When the residents start to complain they only have a day or two to enjoy these areas. That Nonresidents are always there, they can never enjoy it alone.
They don't get to experience the whole picture without competition to a spot. That Nonresidents should be restricted, so they can have unlimited access at will.

Think of this as a beach. As a destination, that you have always wanted to see. Think of this as America, Public land. Land that your tax dollars subsidize, but a small number don't want you to see/enjoy.

SD is doing that now "Along with many other states". I really wish all states would reciprocate this.

The locals are pissed. They are pissed because they can't kill a turkey! "By the reported numbers" 69% of Black hills turkeys are killed by Nonresidents. Think about it! Why?

Turkey hunters travel to go there. They intend to kill a turkey. That is their goal. The locals are upset when they see a Nonresidents license plate parked. They live there, go hunt... Stop the crying and whining, and so for all the other states.

I don't really care if you only have X amount of vacation and can only hunt on Saturday. I have vacation and can get another job tomorrow if needed. I intend to turkey hunt when season is in to the best of my wallet.

I really feel the local and state biologist should be setting the regs for all to follow and not the good ole boys in the back of the room.

It really irked me to read the SD B.S. the other day. The added part from one of their turkey hunting organizers really summed it up for me, "We want it to ourselves" was his message.

I hunted in the BH's, didn't see a soul. Yes, there where other people hunting, I heard them shooting in the distance, that's everywhere you go! Especially the first day of season.

Entitlement is all it is, plain and simple. And No, they are not entitled to it more than anyone else as long as the resource can sustain it!

Sorry, I read this article a couple days ago. And it did bug me. I will most likely never hunt the BH again regardless. But limiting everyone because Joe Smo hasn't evolved enough to kill a turkey is not the answer.

Go and Hunt and hunt harder when that doesn't work.

deerhunt1988

I hadn't heard the news so went and found it.

https://southdakotasearchlight.com/2024/07/12/resident-v-nonresident-dispute-yields-plan-limiting-out-of-state-hunting-licenses/

Basically, SD Game and Fish has proposed to cap the # of NR turkey tags for the Black Hills. They chose a number 30% lower than the amount of NR licenses solid this year to get it more in line with historical normal NR license sales. Good for them.

This year residents obtained 346 FEWER licenses than NR. And NR killed 69% of the turkey.

For folks upset about it, you REALLY should be upset with the YouTubers and social media hunting bros who have continually been pimping out areas left and right all over the nation. They are the reason for the massive spikes in hunting pressure to specific destinations and the non-resident restrictions we keep seeing implemented. If you interact with their content, you have noone to blame but yourself.

What state will be next? Kentucky has discussed it in the past. Missouri is knocking on record levels of NR turkey hunters. Florida is actively discussing it. Exciting times!

deerhunt1988

Some data I found on Black Hills turkey. So bout 500 more NR licenses sold this spring vs last spring. And 6,000 licenses total sold. To further put it into perspective: Non-residents acquired 3,170 licenses this spring and in 2015 only 3,877 TOTAL licenses were sold. So NR acquired ~82% of 2015's total during this past spring season.

mookyj

It is the damndest thing that if paralleled to other things we do as American citizens that what if we were told that our driver license's were possibly invalid outside our home state depending on how many others drove there before we did. That the residences had first dibs on the road resources? 

How about right to carry that is not universal across the nation?  My home state of NY is one of the worst for that. Are we only state citizens, not American citizens? Sorry but last time I checked my passport it says I am an American Citizen, What say you?

Do any of you have the notion that the right to hunt is a basic right? Yet we yield to all these fees, and 100's of laws to hunt. This is on top of what is paid in taxes to fund wildlife management and research. Foolishly I could argue that I don't need to pay taxes that fund wildlife management or research in your state? Don't worry, I won't be taking that position. Yet some of you have a holier than thou attitude and pissed off about neighbors that won't let you hunt their property. Maybe that is a microcosm of resident/non-resident discussions.

The epidemy of self entitlement and exclusionary thinking.
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

slicksbeagles1

That's ok when they loose enough revenue from licenses, supplies, lodging, etc. they may change their minds! I agree with WV Flopper it is all BS!

Hook hanger

Some of the states with 130,000+ turkey hunter's must be saying only 5500tags sold in that state let's go there!

merriamsman

Wow, some of you have an attitude of entitlement that is misplaced. South Dakota, and every other state, has a responsibility to manage its resources for the benefits of the residents of South Dakota. Residents of a particular state accrue benefits of that state by their living, working, and paying taxes in that state. Nonresidents simply do not have the same rights and privileges as the residents of a state. When a limited resource is being stressed and restrictions are needed then a state has the obligation to limit nonresidents before limiting residents.

Happy

I am all for the residents taking priority  when it comes to the natural resources in their state. Good for them.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Old Swamper

Quote from: merriamsman on July 19, 2024, 12:45:23 PMWow, some of you have an attitude of entitlement that is misplaced. South Dakota, and every other state, has a responsibility to manage its resources for the benefits of the residents of South Dakota. Residents of a particular state accrue benefits of that state by their living, working, and paying taxes in that state. Nonresidents simply do not have the same rights and privileges as the residents of a state. When a limited resource is being stressed and restrictions are needed then a state has the obligation to limit nonresidents before limiting residents.
;)

WV Flopper

As a Nonresident of 49 states I really don't see it as entitlement. Once I plan, make preparations, and ultimately, LEGALLY, spend monies to obtain a state and local license. I do, at that point feel entitled to be able to enjoy what I paid for. Nothing else.

As stated originally, State biologist should be doing their job and setting a harvest number to protect whatever game animal is being targeted. I am hopeful we are all in agreement with that, very simple concept even the nonreading comprehensive people should be able to get.

Living in a state has nothing to do with first choice in BLM or National Forest Lands. Those are the people that believe they are entitled. I am still of the mindset that if someone beats me to the spot they have the spot for the day. No more, no less.

WV Ridge Reaper

I think its great,it will cut down on the garbage of chasing the 49...It will show who's in it for the fame and who's not.

Im sure all the you tubers will get vip passes tho,so maybe those who are hurt by this can watch,maybe by then it will be live stream..Fingers crossed for you guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

Curious, how will it cut down on those that are chasing 49?

WV Ridge Reaper

People give up..if they have to draw tags or don't make the deadline..Like i said it will show who's in it for fame and who's not

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on July 19, 2024, 10:25:41 PMPeople give up..if they have to draw tags or don't make the deadline..Like i said it will show who's in it for fame and who's not

Maybe Sd should do a points system like lots of states do for elk and other big game?!?!?

Open the wallets up,it will sniff the true born out but i figure the youtube crowed with all the sponsors,it wont slow them down...Money and jealously is the root of all evil...i have traveled been threw the phase its great...But give me two weeks in my home state and i can be just as happy,a turkey is a turkey to me coast to coast

I think its cool that people can do the 49 but do it for the right reasons...RESPECT the animal...you do you and ill do me !!!

Sir-diealot

Not surprised, I have even had people say they want them for themselves here on this site, horrible attitude to have. It really bugs me when you have states with say 6 tom take in a season and people think non residents should not get the chance or new people should not get the chance because they are the reason for the decline but don't want to drop the amount of turkey they can take in a season to help prevent the loss of the turkey. Nothing be greed and MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE! Reminds me of a six year old.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."