turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Far?

Started by GobbleNut, July 15, 2024, 10:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

We've talked a bit about days hunted this spring and that got me to thinking about how far I walked in my daily hunts this year.  I've definitely slowed down some as the years have added up, but I figured that I probably walked an average of about three miles a day this spring, and the most I walked was roughly five miles on one hunt. In the large expanses of public land I mostly hunt...expanses in which the turkey flocks are often scattered apart by significant distances...it is just a given that a guy has to cover some ground sometimes to get into gobblers.

That three-mile average this spring is down considerably from most springs, even recent ones.  It wasn't all that long ago that I would easily put in 5+ miles a day.  Then again, some of the decrease this spring was due to my good fortune of running into cooperative gobblers without having to walk those extra miles to find them.

...Just curious as to how far others here end up walking during your hunts?...

Tail Feathers

According to my phone fitness app, I averaged about 4 miles a day on public land and under 2 miles per day on private.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

King Cobra

Similar to you I usually hunt large expanses of public land and my daily distances are directly related to success or time devoted to setups on individual birds. However, if gobbling activity is low on average I will be walking five or six miles per day.   
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

zelmo1

My best guess would be 4-5 miles per day. I have one spot that is a 2.8 mile walk in, so that puts the average off a bit. But I also have a spot that is a half mile round trip that I hunt with my wife, so it all averages out. Z

TrackeySauresRex

My scouting missions is where I get some serious steps in. Probably anywhere 5/7 miles, but not on the same tract. A couple here, drive, a few there etc, etc. Hunting days never more than 3, only because I run out of real estate.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on July 16, 2024, 07:52:40 AMMy scouting missions is where I get some serious steps in. Probably anywhere 5/7 miles, but not on the same tract. A couple here, drive, a few there etc, etc. Hunting days never more than 3, only because I run out of real estate.

+1
I know the territory well enuf and the parking area are plentiful

mountainhunter1

Whenever I check it by GPS, it is generally around 5-7 miles a day for most places I frequent. I do have some runs I make on public though that will push me beyond ten miles a day. The body knows it more and more each year due to age as the land being hunted is very steep terrain.

One of the biggest reasons I push hard to hunt turkeys is as much for the exercise as well as getting to see some beautiful views every day.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

NCL

If I am hunting public land it is usually between 3 to 5 miles. Because of the nature of the private piece I have access to hunt, not very far, I would say less than half a mile

10th Legionaire

My Garmin watch recorded over 50 miles in about 12-15 days of scouting and hunting. One day was 24,000 steps if I remember correctly
Less is more

Kygobblergetter

It varies a lot depending on when and where I'm hunting. A lot of my trips I'm averaging 5-6 miles a day. Getting off night shift and hunting a couple hours before going to bed sometimes I'm only walking around 1-1.5 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I only kept track of the days I hunted opening week out west when a friend was out with me, we did 79 miles and change in 5 full days and a morning, that didn't count the extra 4 plus I did going back for my jacket and keys one day :-[

Had a couple 20 mile days and a shorty on the half day.

In the Midwest I would estimate the average at 5 plus, of course a lot of days when I kill one quickly I won't cover a mile, one bird this year I walked a total of 300 yds!

My Mom always asks me to track my whole year, one of these days I will.

Tom007

I'll be conservative here, 3-5 miles per day. I do have one spot (on the favorite list) that is a 3.5 mile walk in and out. I really enjoy when I hit this spot for sure.....

Old Swamper

I hunt public, WMA's and National Forest land. Never had to walk more than 400 yrds from any gate or main road, to kill 98% of all the gobblers I have ever killed.

eggshell

I average around 2 miles up to 7. I hunt almost all private that I can drive to withing a quarter mile of any given point, so I typically don't walk a lot. I used to park at the gate and walk it all and average 5-7 miles a day, but I am an old fart now and I tire much easier. I feel like I earned the right to be a bit lazy.

Dougas

First day; 400 yards
Second day; 2 miles
Third day; 400 yards