OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Far?

Started by GobbleNut, July 15, 2024, 10:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

First day about 50 yards

Second day about 60 yards

Done finished tagged out ...

Up Before daylight several mornings with listening, scouting and not pressuring the turkeys until the season opened.

SwampRooster17

My range was around 3-9 miles with an average of 6 miles a hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYturkey

It definitely varies from year to year, but 8 miles seems to be an average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungGobbler

I hunt Agricultural land and i don't even need to walk more than a few hundred yards back and forth...

Turkey hunting is not the hunt where I walk the most.

Happy

It's hard for me to say. A lot of mine are straight up or straight down. On areas I know well, I usually don't travel far at all.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

deerhunt1988

My mileage is all over the place and depends on a multitude of factors.

-How long I have to hunt that day: Before work hunts I'm not going to be walking near as far as an all-day hunt.

-Private vs public land: My public land spots around home typically require a bit more walking than my private land spots. I have a couple public spots that are 2+ miles one way. Average spot being ~0.75 miles. None of my private spots are more than a mile one way.

-Season timing: Early season I try to pick off the birds closer to roads/access before others get them or they get really pressured.

-Infrastructure: If the infrastructure allows me to "listen" to a lot of ground, I may do as much riding and listening/calling as walking.

-Species/Geographic Location: Some species/locations i'm more efficient covering ground by truck rather than pounding miles and miles on foot.

All the above considered... An "average" before work hunt would probably be 1.5-2 miles. An average day hunt ~5 miles. With some major outliers at both ends.  An average day of hunting while traveling would be higher than my local days.

YoungGobbler

If you can hunt and walk 1 to 2 miles before work... You have a lot of time before work!

Kylongspur88

In the national forest 3-5 miles is common. On private land not so much. Bird #2 this past spring was killed about 200 yards from the truck.

LB75

I keep track of every hunt each spring. This year it was 158 miles walked while hunting not including scouting. Average about 3 miles a day but some days I walked  a total of one mile some days 6-7, depending on where I am hunting.