OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Returning to the pump.

Started by Gooserbat, January 25, 2024, 01:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Really thinking about selling the SX4 and going back to a pump.  Anyone have feedback on the new 870? 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

budtripp

If they're anything like the new production 700's I've handled lately they should be pretty stellar. Already scheming on how to buy a bunch of new faster twist 700 ADL's to use the barreled actions for custom projects. The BDL's are great too. I'm sure the new 870s are just as good quality wise but have yet to handle one.

runngun

I really like hunting with a pump. My old favorite is a Ithaca Model 37 Turkeyslayer but it is a dozen gauge.  Last year  I managed to do some trading for a new Remington Model 870 20.  I tagged out in 3 states with a. It worked just like every one that I have handled. I put a Burris FF3 on it and at the end of the season I ordered a Pistol grip stock and forearm (MagPul). I really took a liking to it.  Like I said I have not had any issues and I don't see any cosmetic issues with it .I did change the trigger spring from MCarbo reduced the pull to just under 3.5 pounds. Reduced by 2 pounds.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

shaman

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 25, 2024, 01:45:43 AM
Really thinking about selling the SX4 and going back to a pump.  Anyone have feedback on the new 870?

I settled on a Mossberg 500 after hunting 20 years with Rem 1100.  I'll tell you, there is no reason to have an auto out in the field for turkey, besides personal whim.

I'll go a tad farther:  Turkey hunting is  not the best place for a factory-new shotgun.  I like my dedicated turkey gun to have mileage on it, because

a)  I'm going to put more miles on it myself
b)  Every scratch and ding I add won't bother me.
c)  I'm only shooting a few shots a year.

Were I looking for a new turkey gun, I'd go used. I'd stop by Walmart on the way home and buy 4 cans of camo Krylon and have at it.  That way, I'd never get used to any aesthetics left on the gun.   When I got in at  the end of season, I'd get rid of the residual mud, sand the scuffs and cover them over with more Krylon.

That is what I think of when I think turkey gun.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

RMP

The new 870s are really, really nice.  The Fieldmaster is a great impovement over the older Express.  Better stocks, fit and finish, and the action is very slick and feels broken-in already compared to previous models.  Remington (RemArms) did it right.  I like that they are drilled and tapped already.

I agree with you about pumps.  I love pumps.  My go-tos are Browning BPSs.  They aren't drilled and tapped, and tend to come with a 26" barrel as the shortest option (unless you have a rifled slug barrel).  But they are very well built and a joy to shoot.  With a steel receiver, they are bit on the heavier side.  But it is what it is.  I have BPSs from 10 gauge to .410 and all are perfectly reliable.

If you can get one, Ithacas built in Upper Sandusky may be the best made pumps out there right now, and the best to wear the Ithaca name.  Just fabulous in every way.  All steel, including the trigger group.  Triggers that rival good rifle triggers.  Slick actions.  And mine shoot to point of aim.  True 50/50 guns.  They are a bit heavier than previous interations of the Model 37, but they make up for it in improved quality.  They can still occassionally suffer from the M37 malady of getting out of timing - a somewhat common issue with M37s regardless of where they were made.  I've sent one back for timing adjustment.  I got it back working perfectly in about 2 weeks.  Ithaca's customer service is among the best CS I've experienced ever, regardless of the type of business.  But they are hard to come by now, since Ithaca is pretty is a low volume producer concentrating now on filling vast backorders.

Tom007

Here's what I found Sam. Seems to have pretty positive reviews. Good luck in your search...

Cowboy

I've heard good things on the 870s. Personally,  I haven't picked up one, but hearing good feedback.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I enjoy them all , and it especially depends on the gun manufacturer .... NEVER sell your guns. just buy you another one ... IMO

capecodmike

My brother has a browning bps predator.  Nice blind gun.

b wilt

The Fieldmaster I fondled had a smooth action and as stated above is drilled and tapped.

mountainhunter1

Gooserbat - I really took a long look and read a lot of reviews and took the plunge and bought a new 20 gauge compact synthetic 870 Fieldmaster. Got it cerakoted and have a delta point pro. So far, I am very pleased with it. The fit and finish is much better and the trigger on mine is around four pounds which is very doable. Love that it is drilled and tapped from the factory and they said it has a lifetime warranty. Guess we will find out what that means if something goes wrong. I really feel that Remington is back to making some good guns again. And everyone that I know who has bought a Remington of recent is also pleased. Looking forward to killing a few turkeys with it this spring, - and who knows, it may become my primary gun.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

highball

Everything about the new ones seem to be upgraded.The finish is very good on the express, machining is very good on the action.Thumbs up to remarms.

PALongspur

All of the new 870s I've been able to handle in the past year have been superb!

Howie g

Nothing but good things to say about my new field master 20 ga ,,
I hunted mine this past spring .

Old Swamper

Never seen any good reason to leave my old 870.