OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Returning to the pump.

Started by Gooserbat, January 25, 2024, 01:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

I don't like autos but love pumps. My favorite shot gun is a 28 gauge LW frame 870  express. With TSS it is great on turkeys. I have an 870 Supermag, BPS, Win 1300, 835 , Win model 12, Win model 42 and probably some more that I can't think of at the moment. No question the best built is the BPS. The 835 has killed the most birds.

OJR

I have gone the other way.  I am swapping out my trusty 12 gauge 870 that has been with me all over the country for the last 20+ years and going to a 20ga semi-auto. Going for a somewhat lighter, recoil friendly option.
I'm sure the old 870 will get pulled out from time to time.

captpete

Quote from: OJR on February 06, 2024, 01:44:52 PM
I have gone the other way.  I am swapping out my trusty 12 gauge 870 that has been with me all over the country for the last 20+ years and going to a 20ga semi-auto. Going for a somewhat lighter, recoil friendly option.
I'm sure the old 870 will get pulled out from time to time.

Same with me. After having surgery on my shoulder for the 3rd time less than 2 weeks ago. I'm going to be looking for a 20ga. auto with a softer recoil than my 870SPM 12ga.

rt2bowhunter

I have always been a fan of pumps for many years the bulk really that's all i used. The old 70's wingmaster and the 835. They accounted for many a meal over the years. Not long ago i bought a Benelli Supernova for Duck and Geese hunting and thought i'd make it a Turkey gun too and with a carlson 640 choke and a red dot its a shooter and recoil aint that bad i was really surprised how light it felt shooting a stiff TSS load. I bought the gun as a all weather kinda let it rain who cares gun and the red dot kinda flies in the face of that IMO.

I'm a blind hunter any more my running and gunning days are behind me. So a camo gun (back in the day i never had one or a bind) really isn't important to me. Anyway i got a nice Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga with a Jebbs .555 choke that throws a great pattern with #9 TSS a warne rail mount and a nice Holosun  green dot circle reflex sight. Its lightweight very dependable and never failed to work perfectly. I think i'm going to make it my dedicated Turkey gun.

And if i want to carry the Supernova i'll just use the bead. Same with the Over Under 20 ga. A man has just gotta have a turkey choke for all his shotguns :).

Timmer

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 25, 2024, 01:45:43 AM
Really thinking about selling the SX4 and going back to a pump.  Anyone have feedback on the new 870?

Gooserbat, can you share why you are considering going back to a pump?  I have been salivating over a new semi-auto in 20g for about 2 years now.  The reason I started looking was that I am nearing my mid 50's and my longstanding pump shotgun really started feeling heavy the last couple of years when I put on the miles sneak hunting.  I have a long 12g SuperNova with a pistol grip and it's about as heavy of a turkey gun as you can get.  I was thinking I could shed a lot of weight by going to a semi 20g.

There is a bit of a positive update for me, however.  I had a defective heart valve that recently gave up altogether.  It probably had been affecting me for the last couple of years without me knowing it (i knew about the bad valve, but didn't know it had taken a turn for the worse).   I now have a new mechanical valve. I'm being told I will feel 10+ years younger in a few months.  I am going to put off on my new purchase until after this season as I can't shoot a gun due to my recent surgery where they cut my breastplate.  Even if my old gun ultimately doesn't seem that heavy anymore, it's hard for me to shake new gun fever once I've got it!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Gooserbat

Quote from: Timmer on February 09, 2024, 08:57:30 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on January 25, 2024, 01:45:43 AM
Really thinking about selling the SX4 and going back to a pump.  Anyone have feedback on the new 870?

Gooserbat, can you share why you are considering going back to a pump?  I have been salivating over a new semi-auto in 20g for about 2 years now.  The reason I started looking was that I am nearing my mid 50's and my longstanding pump shotgun really started feeling heavy the last couple of years when I put on the miles sneak hunting.  I have a long 12g SuperNova with a pistol grip and it's about as heavy of a turkey gun as you can get.  I was thinking I could shed a lot of weight by going to a semi 20g.

There is a bit of a positive update for me, however.  I had a defective heart valve that recently gave up altogether.  It probably had been affecting me for the last couple of years without me knowing it (i knew about the bad valve, but didn't know it had taken a turn for the worse).   I now have a new mechanical valve. I'm being told I will feel 10+ years younger in a few months.  I am going to put off on my new purchase until after this season as I can't shoot a gun due to my recent surgery where they cut my breastplate.  Even if it ultimately doesn't seem that heavy, it's hard for me to shake new gun fever once I've got it!

Ok to answer the question of my choice it boils down to i simply like a pump and an 870 in particular.  I've had several turkey guns and I always come back. Im just curious about the new ones mostly because they are drilled for a scope base.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Franklin7x57

I know it probably doesn't matter to most because they will put an optic on their gun. The walnut and the Synthetic stock have a different drop at the heel. The walnut stock, I'm looking right down the barrel, with the synthetic stock I seem to be pointing up.

Bowtie747

Decided on a new .410 this year, wanted more shots than the 301 had to offer. Went with a Mossberg 500. Wasn't sure I trust Turkey to help me kill turkeys lol wish Mossberg made it and made it in the us. The price would probably be a lot though. Anyways just hard to beat the feel of trust a pump shotgun has to offer. Has me wanting to go to a plain jane 870 as my backup gun this year