turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Insuring call collections

Started by troutfisher13111, January 24, 2024, 08:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

Does anyone have any experience insuring your call collection? I am looking for guidance and advice on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

YES, I insure my collection with plenty of lead ....  :popcorn:

Tom007

Maybe this is worth a try Terry. I do not have experience with these guys, but might be an option for you. Good luck!
"Solo hunter"

troutfisher13111

Well I like my guns like everyone else but unfortunately I have to work for a living. And even when I am home I'm not sure how big a fire bullets  can put out...

Yoder409

:toothy9:

I have never spoken to my insurance guy about it.  I'd be interested to see how they'd even handle the valuation.  Pretty certain my agent (and MOST agents) wouldn't know the difference between a $19.99 Walmart Flextone and a $250 custom box.   Pretty certain they wouldn't have any idea how or where to find an accurate appraisal, either.   Seems like it'd be a pretty big hassle for all the more calls I have.
I really don't have a "collection" per se......... but rather an "accumulation".

I guess my best insurance is the 2 "boys" in the yard and the gun safe in the house.  Take a pretty desperate individual to run that gauntlet for a few turkey calls.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

Quote from: Terry on January 24, 2024, 09:26:48 AM
Well I like my guns like everyone else but unfortunately I have to work for a living. And even when I am home I'm not sure how big a fire bullets  can put out...

All kidding aside, you'll get some real good answers here for sure......
"Solo hunter"

greentrout

I would talk to your insurance agent and maybe even ask for the number of a claims adjuster to find out exactly what your company's requirements are. Documentation is very important and would obviously need to be kept separate from your collection in the event of a fire/tornado/flood etc.. Pictures of your calls, receipts or copies of checks/money orders to verify your purchase price if it's a large collectible item. Any references you run across of similar calls selling for an appreciated value to use as comps. You may ultimately be asked to have them appraised and I wouldn't even know where to start there.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Yoder409

Quote from: greentrout on January 24, 2024, 09:51:52 AM
Documentation is very important and would obviously need to be kept separate from your collection in the event of a fire/tornado/flood etc.. Pictures of your calls, receipts or copies of checks/money orders to verify your purchase price if it's a large collectible item. Any references you run across of similar calls selling for an appreciated value to use as comps.

This is BIG.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Ranger

Documentation is key, pictures and details in an inventory sheet and you can be covered if something happens. No different than a woman's jewelry case, biggest problem there is there is usually no documentation of the actual jewelry, authenticity, and/or value. With custom calls you can establish all three. Pictures with numbers and those numbers corresponding to your inventory sheet, you're good to go.  Both digital and hard copies of both of course

Knew people in the late 90s that had CD collections covered in case of car break ins and them being so valuable, same thing....documentation
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

runngun

I am going to check this out with my insurance company which is Farm Bureau. I have a safety deposit box at my bank and I keep a few of my oldest calls especially when I am going to be out of town.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Greg Massey

I'm afraid to get all of mine out for a picture or pictures, it might cause me to stop buying anymore calls ...  :TrainWreck1:   But I do have them all logged in a book with history, dates and what I paid .... including builders etc...

RMP

Your calls will be covered under the contents, or unscheduled personal property, portion of your homeowners policy.  I am not aware of any limitations on turkey calls like there is on cash, guns, etc.  You should be covered up to your contents limit.  Getting what they are worth will be dependant on the quality and amount of supporting evidence you can provide to establish their value.  Of course, to be covered, they must have been lost due to a covered peril.  Read your policy.

I am an insurance adjuster with over 31 years experience. 

greentrout

Quote from: RMP on January 24, 2024, 03:38:43 PM
Your calls will be covered under the contents, or unscheduled personal property, portion of your homeowners policy.  I am not aware of any limitations on turkey calls like there is on cash, guns, etc.  You should be covered up to your contents limit.  Getting what they are worth will be dependant on the quality and amount of supporting evidence you can provide to establish their value.  Of course, to be covered, they must have been lost due to a covered peril.  Read your policy.

I think if you're worried enough about your collection to consider them collectibles then they would need to be listed specifically on your policy or have a rider for your collection. I think contents may cover original purchase price on some of these, but when they appreciate in value I think you would be SOL in the event you need your insurance.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Alabama556

I use collectibles insurance for my gun collection. They are easy to deal with but I have never had a claim.

Alabama556

Quote from: RMP on January 24, 2024, 03:38:43 PM

This is a great answer. Read your policy carefully for any restrictions or exclusions. I have been a broker for over 20 years but on the commercial side.