News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bow hunting

Started by North Mountain Gear, August 31, 2023, 05:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranman

Quote from: nativeks on September 02, 2023, 08:04:48 AM
Id like to learn how to process my own deer. Didnt grow up deer hunting, and my father was a quail hunter. I practiced once on a roadkill buck someone hit running off of my place. I can gut them quickly now. I can get the back straps and tenderloins out. I struggle with the rest. Just got my 2021 buck back a month ago from the taxi.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Nice buck.. there are a lot of you tube videos on how to debone deer. It is really easy once you do it a couple times.. key is a good sharp knife and what your fingers.

Turkeybutt

Quote from: Happy on September 02, 2023, 08:30:12 AM
It's pretty simple. My wife and I process all of our deer at home. Check out the bearded butchers on YouTube. They do a decent job of showing how to break down a deer. I prefer to quarter everything without using a saw myself, though. They also show how to make sausage, bologna, ect.

Happy is right, after you have a few under your belt you will be able to knock one out in a short amount of time.
Beautiful mount! Good looking deer, did you get him scored?

nativeks

Quote from: Turkeybutt on September 02, 2023, 09:57:17 AM
It's pretty simple. My wife and I process all of our deer at home. Check out the bearded butchers on YouTube. They do a decent job of showing how to break down a deer. I prefer to quarter everything without using a saw myself, though. They also show how to make sausage, bologna, ect.

Happy is right, after you have a few under your belt you will be able to knock one out in a short amount of time.
Negative. Im a fairly new bowhunter as this will be my 7th year. My first deer I think is bigger, however Im a horrible judge of antler size.

Tail Feathers

Nice buck nativeKS!!! :drool:

My goal is to take a deer during archery season.  Buck would be nice, but a doe scratch that itch too.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

captpete

Now that I'm retired, some new goals are to hunt more during the week, to hunt more evenings/nights and start processing my deer. Another is to not feel pressured to need to kill a deer. I generally take my deer to a processor. Processors are closed by the time I get done hunting in the evening. I didn't want to be up all night processing a deer and have to go to work the next day. I occasionally would hunt Saturday evenings, but I was VERY selective about what I shot. My only option is to quarter the deer and keep it on ice in a cooler until I can cut it up, especially when it is warm out.

My other goals are basically the same. Living in the "Big Buck" state of Iowa there is kind of a hidden, a in the back of your mind peer pressure, mentality you have to kill a big buck....if it's not 150" or bigger you shouldn't shoot it. I went 4-5 years without shooting a buck, passing up several bucks that would have been in the 140" range. because of it. Several of the bucks I shot I remember I almost felt guilty because it wasn't a "big buck". About 7-8 years ago I quit listening to/ falling into that pressure. Now, I shoot what makes me happy and don't worry what others think about the size of the deer. I don't care what a deer scores and I haven't had one scored since changing the way I think/feel. With that said I still won't shoot a 1 1/2 year old buck. Preferably it's 3 1/2 years old, but if it's only 2 1/2 and I like the way he looks I'm taking the shot if I get one. 

JeffC

Quote from: nativeks on September 02, 2023, 01:17:38 PM

Negative. Im a fairly new bowhunter as this will be my 7th year. My first deer I think is bigger, however Im a horrible judge of antler size.

13 scorable points, lacks mass, mid 140"s  pushing 150?  Please post picture of your first "bigger" buck. Great bow buck, like captpete said " don't care what a deer scores" shoot what makes you excited!!
Hunted 13 yrs before killing my 1st buck, shotgun. Now I've become a "horn snob" didn't even buy a license last year, almost strictly bow hunt, bought a license this year...something special is walking.... 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

nativeks

Quote from: JeffC on September 03, 2023, 03:27:26 PM
Quote from: nativeks on September 02, 2023, 01:17:38 PM

13 scorable points, lacks mass, mid 140"s  pushing 150?  Please post picture of your first "bigger" buck. Great bow buck, like captpete said " don't care what a deer scores" shoot what makes you excited!!
Hunted 13 yrs before killing my 1st buck, shotgun. Now I've become a "horn snob" didn't even buy a license last year, almost strictly bow hunt, bought a license this year...something special is walking....
Taxidermist thought he was probably low to mid 150s. The place I took to process him said definitely north of 150 maybe approaching 160". They run a big outfitting service in the area and convinced me I should mount it. Heck I wasn't even going to have it mounted as I thought it was a 130" deer. Like I said horrible judge of antler size.

My first deer has 25" main beams, huge g2 and g3, big kicker, etc. I got on the trail to quick and bumped him. Learned alot. Found him in the creek 2 days later.

Tom007

Wow! Beautiful deer there!

JeffC

Both great bucks nativeks! Thanks for sharing.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Farmboy27

Right now my only goal is to get feeling better asap so I can wrap up some last minute prep work before archery starts. I'm fighting a case of Covid right now and I don't have the strength or stamina to do much!!