turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bow hunting

Started by North Mountain Gear, August 31, 2023, 05:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Mountain Gear

The time has come boys, archery deer season will be opening in most places this month or early in October. Let's use this thread to talk about 1 goal we each have for this fall and how we plan to capitalize on it, I'll start.

My biggest goal for this fall is to kill a mature buck on public ground without the aid of any technology. No trail cams, no internet mapping. Using woodsmanship alone to dial in on fresh sign and hopefully find success. *disclaimer- nothing against those tools as I have used them a lot in my life, I just think it will be cool to hunt without them this season. 

What is your biggest goal for this fall?

Brinkcalls

Shoot a nice buck off my farm. I haven't since I was younger. I've just been hunting the in laws or public and shot some good ones. I put in a bunch of plots and food for em.

I was going to go to kodiak island again and hunt but I can't this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief Razor

I just hope to be able to enjoy some time with family and friends. No goals in particular, just looking forward to some down time in the woods.

Happy

Kill some deer and fill up the freezer. That's my only goal.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Yoder409

Two goals :

Get out and relax.

Have a mature buck do something dumb in front of me.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

WV Flopper

Kill a couple yearly does here soon off of damage permits with a rifle, oh, you said bow. Sorry, mine hasn't been drawn in 15 years, case is probably holding it together.

You guys enjoy your bow season, it is a great time to be afield. Good luck!

mcw3734

Getting back into bowhunting this year after a 13+ year layoff. And here in Idaho, that means bugling elk. Opener was Wednesday and I'm heading up tomorrow to meet a buddy and give it a go this weekend on a hill with a lot of elk.

Goal? To learn and gain experience hunting them. And the opportunity to kill a dry cow or a bull, that's the ultimate.

I'm not as proficient with my bow as I should be, so range will be short. But I'm excited about trying to call and just getting into animals. I've had terrible luck hunting elk since moving out west, but I've made a new commitment to learn all I can about elk and hunting them. So... it'll take a while, I'm sure, not unlike turkeys, but it all starts this weekend.

Even though it's frustrating, it's also kinda fun being 'new' at something again, especially at my age.

Howieg

Bow only for deer for last 25 years . Been very blessed to gather my share of good bucks and make some great memories.  Looking forward to my 10 year olds lst bow season . Hopefully get him a few opportunities at some deer and hogs . We ready  !

Tom007

Last year walking down a ravine to head back to my truck at my hunting ground, I jumped a huge buck bedded in a blow-down. I found several large rubs and scrapes in this core area. Last March, I set a stand in the ravine. I saw very large tracks in the snow traveling past the blow-down in late Feb. He has been spotted this summer close to this area. I plan on targeting him, I have to pick the right conditions to slip into this stand. I am not using a camera, I won't enter this area till I am ready to sit him out. I'll probably only have one chance at him, so I have to be careful to make it my best chance. These bucks do not slip up much, one or two days a year when the ladies drive them crazy......can't wait.....

Turkeybutt

Just get out in the woods and bow hunt. Oh I'm serious enough about it and very fussy about odors. I wear rubber boots, wash all my clothes and use some type of scent blocker etc.
I practice with my compound ( Mathews set at 60lbs using Rage broad-heads) as well as with my Raven Crossbow( It's dead on at 50 Yards) I checked all my tree stands and life lines a month ago changing out anything I deemed unsafe. Trimmed out a few limbs to open things up a bit for a better shot.
I would like to shoot a Pope and Young or a Booner and I'll hold out and keep hope alive. Have photos of a nice 10 and some good looking 8's but haven't seen the Booner from last year of camera yet!
Truth be told that last week if I haven't filled my buck tag if something legal comes by it might be taking a dirt nap.
A doe or two might hit the dirt as well to help fill the freezer.
Ya'll be safe!

Tom007

Good luck and safe hunting for all.......

topnotch

That's an honorable goal, if you succeed than you truly have a trophy !
My goal is going to deer camp and enjoy some old friends, maybe swap lies and share some good camp food !

Tom007

Quote from: topnotch on September 01, 2023, 02:45:59 PM
That's an honorable goal, if you succeed than you truly have a trophy !
My goal is going to deer camp and enjoy some old friends, maybe swap lies and share some good camp food !

Amen, having fun with friends at camp is what it's all about!

nativeks

Id like to learn how to process my own deer. Didnt grow up deer hunting, and my father was a quail hunter. I practiced once on a roadkill buck someone hit running off of my place. I can gut them quickly now. I can get the back straps and tenderloins out. I struggle with the rest. Just got my 2021 buck back a month ago from the taxi.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Happy

It's pretty simple. My wife and I process all of our deer at home. Check out the bearded butchers on YouTube. They do a decent job of showing how to break down a deer. I prefer to quarter everything without using a saw myself, though. They also show how to make sausage, bologna, ect.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club