OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pocket Knife: Past / Present / Hunting

Started by Greg Massey, August 10, 2023, 10:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgarner1

I always carry an outdoor edge with the replaceable blades while hunting, Normal everyday carry is a case yellowhandled trapper that my father in law gave me for a wedding present, and the one I always keep with me while working is an old timer hawkbill

captpete

I carry a pocket knife all the time. About the only time I don't is when I'm lounging around in sweatpants. My current EDC is an assisted open  Kershaw Leek. Before that was a Gerber Mini Para-frame. My "Sunday-go-to-meeting" knife is one of several that mom gave me when my dad passed away or one that one of my best friends gave for being the best man in his wedding.

I used to use Buck 110 that I bought back in the mid '80's for gutting deer and cleaning turkeys. I retired it a few years and started using an in-expensive Buck fixed blade with a bright orange handle for gutting deer. It's a lot easier to find and I don't feel so bad when I leave it laying in the timber. It's also a lot easier to get the deer "gunk" off of it than the folder.

For cleaning turkeys, Pheasants, small game, etc., it's either an old Rapala fillet knife or a Shrade Old Timer Sharp-finger that one of my best friends gave me for my birthday in the late '70's.

Here are my "Sunday-go-to-meeting" knives. The green knife was given to me from the same friend that gave the Shrade knife. As you can see dad's knives have been used a lot.

Resized_20230216_085329_01(1) by K Pete, on Flickr

Turkeybutt

This is what I carry. It's the cats meow! Ya'll need one; and I bet truth be told Crow, Tail Feathers and maybe Greg Massey already has one.
I ain't never lost it yet!

Zobo

The knife I carry depends on the season. During the summer and early fall I'm either carrying a mushroom knife because of the profusion of mushrooms that flush in my area during that time OR a fishing knife. In this case, a spyderco saltwater folder with a hook sharpener.
    The mushroom knife is from Italy and has a folding brush. Ive been collecting and eating wild mushrooms for over 35 years.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

tal

You have to be a real man to wear a Mickey Mouse watch or carry a pink knife....

Turkeybutt

You have to be some sort of crazy to carry a pink knife or a really bad man!
You know something serious is about to happen when " Pinky" comes out!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Turkeybutt on August 14, 2023, 05:16:05 PM
You have to be some sort of crazy to carry a pink knife or a really bad man!
You know something serious is about to happen when " Pinky" comes out!
The color pink is pretty on some people if you know what i mean ... LOL....

Greg Massey

Zobo - until you posted that picture of the mushroom knife i had never seen one or knew they existed ....

Turkeybutt

Greg I understand. Some guys just can't pull it off!

topnotch

I carry a buck folding lock back as my daily knife. On Sunday I carry one of Case or 1930s Remington knives. During hunting season I carry a handmade knife my cousin crafted several decades ago and gave me. It took some getting use to carrying a knife after retirement. During my working years I got out of the habit of carrying one daily after TSA at the airport relieved me of a couple of my favorites.

Turkeybutt

You guys let me down! I thought you would be all over me for posting my pink knife photo. I was sitting back waiting for all the comments and a good laugh.
Here is what I typically carry.
The top one a Buck 503 I bet is 50 years old.
The middle one is a Bear MGC and is pretty old
The bottom one is a Buck Alpha Hunter. I always have one of those with me hunting.

Greg Massey

They don't make the Alpha Hunter anymore ... I have one new in the box with the gut hook ... awesome knife ...

Happy

Quote from: Turkeybutt on August 18, 2023, 08:00:37 AM
You guys let me down! I thought you would be all over me for posting my pink knife photo. I was sitting back waiting for all the comments and a good laugh.
The bottom one is a Buck Alpha Hunter. I always have one of those with me hunting.
I have spent too much time looking for a knife I laid down in the woods to give you grief about that one.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Zobo

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 14, 2023, 05:25:00 PM
Zobo - until you posted that picture of the mushroom knife i had never seen one or knew they existed ....
Yes, there're lots of them, I've collected a few through the years, most are European, France, Italy, Germany, Spain etc. They're crazy about mushroom hunting over there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

JeffC

Quote from: Happy on August 18, 2023, 12:49:41 PM
Quote from: Turkeybutt on August 18, 2023, 08:00:37 AM
I have spent too much time looking for a knife I laid down in the woods to give you grief about that one.

I have a nice Buck knife I found years ago upland bird hunting, was stuck in a tree, right where someone put it so they wouldn't lose it...
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr