OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pocket Knife: Past / Present / Hunting

Started by Greg Massey, August 10, 2023, 10:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upfold99

I carry a yellow handle case trapper every day. I keep it sharp and its cleaned many a deer and turkey.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: eggshell on August 10, 2023, 06:41:07 PM
My every day pocket knife is a casse XX that I have had for years, but it's about my third one as I usually hone them away to nothing or break/lose them.

My game knives I clean turkeys with is another story. I have two Scagle style lives made by my wife's late uncle and one of my best hunting buddies ever. If any of you are collectors you may have heard of Holbert Knives. He made these especially for me and I cherish them deeply. He made me promise to use them and not just stuff them away as collectables. I honor his wishes and clean my turkeys with them, but they don't get everyday use, no way that's happening. Here they are:
Those are beautiful and thanks for sharing them with all of us... What memories ....

Ranman

Love knives.. my edc is a Spyderco Para 3, and sometimes a Boker Automatic. If I'm dressed in slacks/dress pants, I carry a small Gerber lockblade, Super light and thin. My wife found an old wooden tool box that I use to hold all of the knives I've collected over the years. Some I bought, and several passed on by my grandfathers and my father. To clean turkeys, I recently purchased a Cold steel Canadian belt knife. Works great.

jhoward11

Always a knife in the pocket when in the woods or fields. Have several different small and med. size knifes I carry. Been carrying one that slides on belt loop lately with my sons name on it . He passed a couple years ago.

Muzzy61

Everyday carry is my dad's Buck 303.
Kershaw clip on for hunting.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Hook hanger

Every day carry during turkey season is just an Outdoor edge 3.0

g8rvet

I only have a pocketknife if I have my pants on.  Shorts or long, I have a knife.  I have learned over the years that because of this, I tend to lose knives, so my everyday is just what strikes my fancy - must be cheap, locking blade and small and light.  Like 3" blade or less.

For hunting I often carry a Case XX 6111 1/2 Bone Cheetah Swing Guard that I got as a kid.  We used to go to gun shows with my dad (he was a dealer) and my brother and I would wheel and deal with knives.  We worked our way up over a year or so to swap/sell to get enough to get one of these for each of us.  I don't always carry it, but when I do I am careful as I have owned it well over 40 years. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Sir-diealot

One of the top three year round and the Wyoming type blade during deer season though I did get the gut hook blades for the third knife down but I have not had the chance to try them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

nitro

EDC is a Microtec Dirac or Chris Reeve LH small Sebenza.

For turkey or other bird hunting it's a Case Sodbuster Jr or a circa 1975 Buck bird knife.

Big game ? Scott Davidson or Wayne Hendrix drop point style.
Royal Slam 2008

Ranger

Case Medium Congress pocket
Case, Buck, or Queen Steel folder on the hip
Both knives, always

Clean birds with Bird and Trout knives of various custom makers.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Gobbler428

For many years i carried an old case XX but had to quit when the airlines no longer allowed you to carry.  When I retired and quit flying I started carrying again.  EDC is a Benchmade Mini Crooked River and my hunting knife is a Benchmade Griptilian with a sheep foot blade and an orange handle.  Both are lock blade folders with pocket clips.

GobbleNut

As one who attended dozens of conservation banquets over the decades, I have so many knives I could outfit an army. I have several in my truck, as well as in various places all over the house...and several drawers and shelves piled high with them.  I have given away more knives than most folks probably acquire in a  lifetime.  Most have blades that have never touched anything, much less a game animal.

For years, way back when, my go-to knife was a folding Buck...until my youngest son "confiscated" it.  Nowadays, I have a fixed-blade Browning that I carry in my pack, and grab whatever folding knife is handy for the pocket whenever I think I might have a need.  I've never been one to carry a knife around on a daily basis, although there have certainly been a few times I wish I did. 

Happy

Typically carry a Case sodbuster. Some days It's a different one. Growing up, it was just assumed that every guy carried a pocket knife. I also have my wife's grandfather's pocket knife that he carried overseas in WW2. I carry it occasionally. For deer, I carry a knives of Alaska alpha wolf. It's almost perfect for me, and I don't know how many deer I have gutted, skun, and quartered with that knife, but it's a pile. 

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Upfold99 on August 10, 2023, 07:04:25 PM
I carry a yellow handle case trapper every day. I keep it sharp and its cleaned many a deer and turkey.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Can't go wrong with a classic like that.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Badger

I carry a utility knife a good bite of the time to save my knives; however, I carried a Camilluis #3 folder that I got from parents when I was 18 and still get it out and look at it approx. 50 years later.  I currently carry a Benchmade NorthFork folder when hunting as it has a lot of backbone.  I also carry a Gene Ingram straight blade in my gear when hunting and hiking.  I like knives and have several other brands but don't carry but a few different knives.