OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snake bite / rubber boots

Started by GD1656, August 09, 2023, 05:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GD1656

I have worn snake boots for many years, however i have always wondered if regular rubber boots would stop fangs of a rattler or moccasin. Has anyone here had experience or heard true story of anyone hit on rubber boot ? We hunt florida and south ga and are always careful but i am just wondering  Thanks

Ranger

Theres a member on here that was bitten by a timber rattler wearing green Lacrosse boots. He said the fangs went through the rubber like a hot knife through butter. He also stated the price of the treatment was close to $90K if I remember correctly. And he wears snake boots now of course.

I had an old pair of boots from the late 80s that were the kind of black rubber that I'd have a hard time believing a snake could penetrate, but they don't tend to use that kind of rubber for boots anymore. They could make a blister in the garden in 30 minutes if you didn't have good socks on, some of y'all might recall the rubber I'm talking about.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

zelmo1

Hunting Florida next year and I will be wearing my snake boots. I ran into a copperhead in Missouri and I have all reason I need. Why take a chance. Z

btodd00

I got hit in 2020 by a moccasin while walking through a replanted clearcut in north Florida. I was wearing lacrosse alpha (not snake boot) and the hit felt like someone hit me with a good sized stick, actually surprised me how hard it was. I did not know it was a snake or that I had walked right over him in a small puddle of water, I looked back more to see what just slapped me in back of the leg and he was coiled and not happy. Im not sure if snakes always strike with the intent of a bite or he just hit me with his mouth closed to prove a point but he was a healthy arm sized cottonmouth and I consider myself very fortunate this is the only time ive had a really close encounter

Yoder409

Rubber (non-snake) knee boots won't stop fangs.

Tey are better, obviously, than tennis shoes, in that they could deflect a strike and there IS generally some space between the inside of the boot shaft and the skin as a buffer zone.  But, I ain't wearing them in snakey places.   No way !!!

Snake boots are very cheap insurance against a 6-figure hospital bill.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

joey46

Having lived in Florida for close to 20 years and wear the strap on snake gaitors.  Cover from ankle to knee.  Almost never see a snake but it only takes one.  We have had a pygmy rattler in our garage.  They are very mean spirited.  For whatever reason saw many more snakes when we lived in western KY than in FL. 

GD1656

joey--we have been in sw fl since 99 . Came from se fl--when we built ,pigmy's were everywhere .I kept a chart and killed over 20 in one year. Have had 3 eastern rattlers over the years. We hunt down here and s georgia. We wear snake boots but i have always wondered how hard a snake hits. Above post about how hard the moc hit makes me rethink reg rubber boots !

Muzzy61

I hunt in North Florida mostly swampy areas. I have both regular and rubber snake boots. I don't step in the woods without them on.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Muzzy61

Quote from: GD1656 on August 11, 2023, 10:38:38 AM
joey--we have been in sw fl since 99 . Came from se fl--when we built ,pigmy's were everywhere .I kept a chart and killed over 20 in one year. Have had 3 eastern rattlers over the years. We hunt down here and s georgia. We wear snake boots but i have always wondered how hard a snake hits. Above post about how hard the moc hit makes me rethink reg rubber boots !

A few years ago my boss came into work on a monday with a slight limp. He said that he had been hit by a 5 to 6 foot rattlesnake. Luckly it was a dry strike. When he rolled up his pants leg to show he his shin, it has a knot on it and a dark purple bruise. He said it felt like he had been hit with a ball peen hammer.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

joey46

Secret tip - if on a trip and you've forgotten your snake boots or snake gaitors almost all home stores will have strap on leg guards in the department with the chain saws.  Work the same although almost always in black. They'll stop a spinning chain they'll stop a fang.

dah

mountainhunter1

Snake boots are a good thing to spend your money on. The reality is that a lot of folks will go three to five years at a time without seeing a rattle snake, etc. - I know guys who have hunted ten to fifteen years stretches without seeing one (maybe other parts of the country that would not be possible). Yet, the one day you run up on one at some point and you are possibly two-three miles from the truck, it is just a good chance that it is not going to end well.

If you dislike the way some of them fit, try the lightweight Rocky's, after about the first two days in the woods to break them in a bit, they are pretty darn comfortable. I actually prefer them over regular boots. The only time snake boots get on my nerves is if I find myself in a cutover or a place with a lot of trees on the ground and I am constantly having to step over deadfall. Snake boots are not much fun if you are constantly having to lift your leg over something several feet high every other step.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Sir-diealot

Wish I could wear them but I can't, never seen any in a EEE and left lower leg has a defect that won't allow me to wear tall boots anyway. Sure wish I could though, those I know that own them say that they are very comfortable and wear them even though we don't have a lot of venomous snakes in my area.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

roberthyman14

Living and hunting in nwfl  I wear snake boots if I'm not in a subdivision.  Moccasins are everywhere  even in dry areas as they travel.  Rattle snakes are in all types of environment. It's nice not having to watch every step I take.  This last turkey season I stepped right over a 5ft coach whip  never knew he was there until my buddy got my attention. Luckily it wasn't a venomous and angry snake.  Mostly only worry about Moccasins and pygmy rattlers. Easterns are really docile and try to avoid any conflict

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

tha bugman

I got the Lite brand rubber boots this year.  Lightest boot I have ever owned and would not be concerned at all about stopping a strike.  They seem a little thinner than La Crosse and I have worn those for years as well.