News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Snake bite / rubber boots

Started by GD1656, August 09, 2023, 05:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

Quote from: tha bugman on August 13, 2023, 10:05:14 PM
I got the Lite brand rubber boots this year.  Lightest boot I have ever owned and would not be concerned at all about stopping a strike.  They seem a little thinner than La Crosse and I have worn those for years as well.

I have seen those and thought about picking up a pair to work on the farm and maybe to use in the woods as well - but wondered how comfortable they are. If a person walked in them in the woods for 8-10 hours at a time turkey hunting, what would say as far as the comfort level?
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

YoungGobbler

Wow... Reading your stories with snakes that could be everywhere in the woods makes me enjoy the 5 foot of snow that we have in winter.

g8rvet

After reading this, I had a bunch of points on my Bass Pro card and ordered the Redhead Bayou III Waterproof side zip snake boots.  They are waterproof leather with nylon uppers and I wear western work boots every day, so always have plenty of mink oil on hand.  Old ankle injury on left leg makes it hard to step into deep boots, so I thought the side zip might work.  Will let every one know my impressions.  Buying snake boots is like buying a coffin - you hope you never need it.  Born and raised in Florida and have had a few close calls. 

My favorite story was my nephew was lighting p-burn (wildland firefighter) here in N Florida in the thick palmetto and gall berry and he felt something hit his leg - his partner screamed at him and he looked down to see a 5 foot rattler hanging from his pants by the fangs - NO SKIN contact!  In a reflex move he hose it down with the fire can and the snake hauled arse, when he did, it set the woods on fire encircling him.  He had to step quick through the newly lit area to get out of there.  Boots would have made no difference for him though. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

tha bugman

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on August 16, 2023, 11:30:21 AM
I got the Lite brand rubber boots this year.  Lightest boot I have ever owned and would not be concerned at all about stopping a strike.  They seem a little thinner than La Crosse and I have worn those for years as well.

I have seen those and thought about picking up a pair to work on the farm and maybe to use in the woods as well - but wondered how comfortable they are. If a person walked in them in the woods for 8-10 hours at a time turkey hunting, what would say as far as the comfort level?
I walked many miles in mine this season and they were so comfortable.  You won't believe how light they are.  I never had any foot fatigue.  A really nice feature is that they dry out so fast.  I never used a boot dryer.  My buddy stepped into a deep slough with his.  He dumped the water out and put them back on.  We came back to my house after the hunt.  He took them off that afternoon and they were dry before we got up to hunt the next morning! Very light and comfortable.  You wont be disappointed.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: tha bugman on August 17, 2023, 09:21:44 PM
Quote from: mountainhunter1 on August 16, 2023, 11:30:21 AM

I walked many miles in mine this season and they were so comfortable.  You won't believe how light they are.  I never had any foot fatigue.  A really nice feature is that they dry out so fast.  I never used a boot dryer.  My buddy stepped into a deep slough with his.  He dumped the water out and put them back on.  We came back to my house after the hunt.  He took them off that afternoon and they were dry before we got up to hunt the next morning! Very light and comfortable.  You wont be disappointed.

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to give them a try.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Capt long beard

I don't think lite brand boots sells any snake boots, I could be wrong but didn't see anything about snake boots on their website.

bwhana

I have Tingley boots and the Lite brand appear to be a knockoff to their original design.  Here are a few key things to consider:

- I stepped on a saw briar and a thorn went straight through the sole in the thickest spot on the forefoot sole, so a snake would easily go through on any part of the boot!

- They are super lightweight and waterproof and made from a material similar to Crocs, and they even self heal from small punctures without future leaks.  The uppers are VERY stiff and make a clomping sound as you walk as the top opening hits your shins and calves with each step.  Tucking in your pants calms that a little. 

- If you have plantar fasciitis or any foot issues, they are crap unless you buy a larger size and use your own custom orthotics or fitted insoles. Even at that, they are just tolerable and ok for short distance hunts.

- They have poor traction and are slippery in muddy conditions, icy ladder stand rungs, or leaves in the steep mountains.  I wore mine 1x on a mountain turkey hunt and never again!

TBoo

I'm with YoungGobbler.  I stick with the possibility of snow rather then get hit with a hammer and a 6 figure bill and other repercussions!

Tail Feathers

Rubber boots may help, but they aren't even close to fangproof.  Just the extra rubber with pants tucked in may offer some protection from a smaller snake.  The big ones, I doubt they stop it.  I've always read how hard a big snake hits the target.
I wore snake boots for many years until they fell apart.  Lost a sole in a mudhole and kept hunting for a few hours.   :)
I recently bought some snake gaiters that are fairly light but in spite of having them through a season, I haven't tried them in the field.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tha bugman

Have you worn the Redhead Bayou III's and if so what are your thoughts?
Quote from: g8rvet on August 16, 2023, 07:27:59 PM
After reading this, I had a bunch of points on my Bass Pro card and ordered the Redhead Bayou III Waterproof side zip snake boots.  They are waterproof leather with nylon uppers and I wear western work boots every day, so always have plenty of mink oil on hand.  Old ankle injury on left leg makes it hard to step into deep boots, so I thought the side zip might work.  Will let every one know my impressions.  Buying snake boots is like buying a coffin - you hope you never need it.  Born and raised in Florida and have had a few close calls. 

My favorite story was my nephew was lighting p-burn (wildland firefighter) here in N Florida in the thick palmetto and gall berry and he felt something hit his leg - his partner screamed at him and he looked down to see a 5 foot rattler hanging from his pants by the fangs - NO SKIN contact!  In a reflex move he hose it down with the fire can and the snake hauled arse, when he did, it set the woods on fire encircling him.  He had to step quick through the newly lit area to get out of there.  Boots would have made no difference for him though.

roberthyman14

Quote from: tha bugman on August 27, 2023, 08:59:47 PM
Have you worn the Redhead Bayou III's and if so what are your thoughts?
Quote from: g8rvet on August 16, 2023, 07:27:59 PM

If they are not leather or rubber they will leak.  I had rockys for a few years, then Irish setter vapor trek.   They both leaked within a year.  Switched to rubber lacrosse snake boots.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

g8rvet

They are leather.  Mixed feelings after trying them on-but first fit they feel comfortable. Gonna be hot I am sure, but should not be any worse than the neoprenes I always wear.   I will report back after working them in next season.  I'll try to wear them for some dove hunts this year too to break them in. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

misfire

I got nailed by a big cane break a few years ago, wearing Alpha Burly rubber boots, however, I do believe that is a snake boot. Nevertheless, fangs did not penetrate the boot.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

wchadw

I got some Russell turkey hunters before Covid. They have the turtle skin lining. Supposed to be snake proof. Always wondered if they would actually stop a gang from coming thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Not to hijack, but ..........

I have a pair of Irish Setter VaprTrek snake boots brand spankin' new in the box with tags   Too big for me.

Size 13

PM me for more details.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.