OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you wear a watch when hunting?

Started by mcw3734, August 06, 2023, 12:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notsoyoungturk

I do.  Unfortunately, I don't have too many days just dedicated to hunting.  I have one with a dark face so I don't have to worry about it spooking birds.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

3bailey3

I have never worn one, sun straight over head it's noon.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

misfire

When a watch gets on my wrist, it never comes off till the battery dies
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Mossberg90MN

I have a couple seasons ago and I agree that it has pros and cons.

On one hand it lets you know that you haven't been sitting there for 20 min. It's only been 8, but it feels like 20 min. In a way it helps with patience there, and legal shooting times, roosting times etc...

I can see where it can be a hinderance by creating a mental deadline. You tell yourself, I'm gonna give it an hour... only to walk away and bump the bird that was coming in or hear him gobble some 10 min after you left.

I didn't use one this year and I used my phone. It was a little bit too distracting for me as I found myself scrolling social media when it was slow.

I also feel like I move to much when checking the time on my phone versus slightly moving my wrist to see the watch on the underside.

I think I'm going to go back to my watch, in efforts of keeping me away from the phone. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but a lot of turkey hunting is being mentally in the game, if having a watch is going to put you there mentally, and get you in your zone, do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhoward11

Wear one every day, but not while hunting. Just the Iphone.

Crghss

Wear my Apple Watch everyday. Amazing how reliant I've become on my watch, meetings, texts, email notification. Even use it as my dive computer.

Use it a lot while hunting, time of sunrise, track my distance, real time weather, spots I've mark with OnX.

Does any of it really help harvest turkey? Probably not. But keeps me entertained while sitting in the woods. Plus hate to keep pulling iPhone out of the vest, it stays safely stowed in a zipped pock.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Hook hanger

Not while hunting. Don't want to know how much time is truly spent while hunting.

turkey_picker

Yes, I do. I have always worn a watch every day for over 50 years, no need to change this late in life. 

NCL

I always wear a watch. When I was in law enforcement a watch was a critical piece of equipment but I had the habit before entering that  field. I probably became a full time watch wearer when I started scuba diving as it was also critical in that endeavor,

Tail Feathers

Quote from: NCL on August 08, 2023, 12:30:42 PM
I always wear a watch. When I was in law enforcement a watch was a critical piece of equipment but I had the habit before entering that  field. I probably became a full time watch wearer when I started scuba diving as it was also critical in that endeavor,
I wore a watch most every day of my adult life.  When I retired from the job after 36+ years I stopped wearing a watch outside hunting. But I would have felt naked without one, now, nope.   :funnyturkey:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Ranger

Seiko SKX6039 or the SKX007. One has jumped out of planes in 9 different countries at 40,000 feet, been around the world and has been ticking since 1986. Indestructible tool watches. Nice to keep track of time spent on a bird, time between gobbles, how often a distant bird is gobbling and needs your attention, marking a distant shot for Intel purposes later, and all around being a man that uses a watch instead of looking at a screen or swiping his techy watch. 
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

wchadw

I usually wear a gshock "rangeman" every day unless I'm going to a formal event or church
G shock has been pretty much indestructible it's solar battery charge so I don't have to worry about battery dying. Bonus it's got a compass in case my phone gps doesn't work in a remote area
Easier than digging around for phone to see time.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: wchadw on August 08, 2023, 06:45:36 PM
I usually wear a gshock "rangeman" every day unless I'm going to a formal event or church
G shock has been pretty much indestructible it's solar battery charge so I don't have to worry about battery dying. Bonus it's got a compass in case my phone gps doesn't work in a remote area
Easier than digging around for phone to see time.

Very interesting didn't know that.

WildTigerTrout

I guess I am old fashioned but I wear a watch all the time.  My current favorite is a Wenger Swiss Military.  It's titanium, matte finish and really lightweight.  I have had it about ten years. My previous watch is also a Wenger Swiss Military and it is also titanium.  That one still works today and it is over twenty years old! The metal band broke on it and I replaced it with leather.  I still wear it from time to time.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!