OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you wear a watch when hunting?

Started by mcw3734, August 06, 2023, 12:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

I'm not an everyday watch wearer. But, when turkey hunting, I did like packing a cheap one that I placed on the ground so I can keep track of time when working a bird. It might seem funny, but I feel it helps keep me patient. Recently, I've become accustomed to wearing one on my off hand with the face on the underside of my wrist (strapped over my outer cloths layer). This way when I'm holding my gun off the knee, it's kinda right there facing me.

How many out there use a watch, or otherwise track the passage of time when engaged with a bird?

(As I write this, it makes me think that if I could find a high quality, classic looking wrist watch, I might start wearing one everyday. It might give me one less excuse to reach for my phone.)

nativeks

I wear my garmin watch everywhere. I feel weird without it.

Sir-diealot

To be honest I have a not been able to find one to fit my wrists comfortably. I have been looking to get one the last coupe of years but have not found one in a price range I like for a watch I will only wear during turkey season, that and large wrists have kept me from buying one. I did set my cell so I could set it on the ground and tap it with my toe and it would show the time, nice in a blind anyway.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Yes most definitely during turkey season, i don't like looking or messing with my cell phone to see the time etc... I Use a Casio Sports Watch with a nylon band and it has the Illuminator light so i see the time in the dark etc...  It's a model W94HF-3AV and costs around 25 dollars on Amazon ....  Turkey / deer season is the only time i wear one anymore .... after that i put it back in the cabinet and just use my cell phone ...

Paulmyr

I'm not a watch wearer. Never have been so no watch for me. I used too for hunting only until they started making these nice little mini computers called smartphones.  A couple states I hunted back when I wore a watch had midday closings. Needed to know when legal hunting time was over.

The cell phones comes out nowdays when I need to check my location. I don't use it to track time while working a gobbler/hunting. I hunt by feel. I call when I feel I should be calling and move when I think I need to move.

Turkeys don't have a schedule. They go by instinct. They might have a routine/ pattern but it's not set in time and that routine can change at any moment.

If he's gobbling, I call as often as I feel necessary based on his actions. I don't pigeon hole myself by keeping to a schedule and calling every 10,15,20 minutes. A watch for me would be redundant.

If there's no gobbling, I call from areas I feel are good set ups when I get to them and not based on the fact my watch tells me to call. Not saying my way is the right and only way to but it works fairly well for me and my turkey hunting personality.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

joey46

Yes -  life long habit.  Have a Timex Expedition that must be 25 years old.  Often time how long I'll sit in a spot if they aren't gobbling.  From game camera pictures have an idea of some birds patterns.  If they showed on camera in a certain field at around 10 they often do that consistently.  Wouldn't hunt without one.  Nice to know legal times also.

Turkeybutt

I wear a Fitbit my wife bought me so we all know how that goes; I have to wear it! That is until it breaks anyway.
I thought I did it in the other day jumping in the pool with it on but the darn thing is water proof!
It tracks my steps, heart rate, miles walked and calories burned and tells time so I stay legal getting out of the woods.

roberthyman14

I set my phone on my lap or right beside me. I use my stop watch feature in split time.  1 starts when I setup on a bird. The other is rest everytime he gobbles.  And if the weather ain't good. I'll have my radar showing instead. 

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

eddie234

Yes, I also have a fit bit. Tracks my steps and how far I've hiked. Helps me keep track of how long I've been sitting, I'll normally sit still 30 minutes after my last sequence before moving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tail Feathers

Hunting is pretty much the only time I wear one. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

PalmettoRon

Never quit wearing one, so no reason to not wear it turkey hunting. Time is difficult to track and a quick glance is all I need to be sure I'm being patient. Patience kills a lot of birds and without a watch, I would probably move too soon.

Carry a smart phone for OnX, but don't want to have to pull out the phone and as sure as I laid it on the ground, I'd walk off without it.

bwhana

Garmin Instinct goes on every hunt and every hike/bike ride/workout.  Rarely wear a watch anytime else. Also use it to mark the truck parking spot as a backup on new ground in case the cell gps has issues, like the Black Hills and Ohio most recently.

ChiefBubba

I've worn a watch daily since I was about 12 or 13. My father in the 60's and 70's was working with NASA in Cape Canaveral and he would get the watches for the Navy divers recovering the rocket stages. I have a Zodiac Sea Wolf that is who knows how old. I wear an Apple watch when out in the woods because it has a cell coverage and I can make calls on it. Being over 60 now I thought that was a good idea. But wear different watches for different occasions. Bubba

Tom007

I don't. I'm a lefty shooter, don't want any possibility of my sleeve riding up exposing anything shiny. I use cell for time.

guesswho

I never wear one.  Just something else for me to lose. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff