OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How advanced were they, I love this painting….

Started by Tom007, July 13, 2023, 07:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

Quote from: Paulmyr on July 13, 2023, 11:28:27 PM
Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on July 13, 2023, 03:14:24 PM
They say the Natives used wingbones dating all the way back to 6500 BC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It actually looks like the man laying on the ground is holding a wingbone call in his left hand or a call of some sort atleast.

He's holding a pencil to keep score, the different nations had team competitions back then. It was based purely on how many arrows per turkey to determine the winners.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Paulmyr on July 13, 2023, 11:28:27 PM
Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on July 13, 2023, 03:14:24 PM
They say the Natives used wingbones dating all the way back to 6500 BC!

It actually looks like the man laying on the ground is holding a wingbone call in his left hand or a call of some sort atleast.
Actually looks like he's holding a striker I don't know if they use friction calls then.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 13, 2023, 08:16:08 AM
Don't know the artist of this piece but it appears to be similar work.

I believe that is the same artist for sure....

Tom007

They sure were proficient with those stick bows......

crow

It does look like the mouth piece (radius) bone he's holding, which is probably all they used as a call.
Henry Davis shows an old hunter using just the longer mouth piece this way in his book.

Cur off the ends and cut to a longer length than regular mouthpiece. Your cupped hands become the bell more so than on a 2 or 3 piece call, they sound pretty good.

GobbleGitr

Without being there firsthand and having few accounts, it is hard to know all of the methods employed by Native Americans, but certainly plenty of evidedence turkeys were a critical part of their diet, clothing, and utility items. They used wingbones and in Mexico and some southern states they, as we all know, domesticated turkeys. Paluh's paintings are respectfully motivated and beautifully portrayed. I enjoy the one on my wall.

PALongspur

Second print is also by Jack Paluh, his work is magnificent!

Turkeybutt

I saw this photo and added the caption "What if".
Just think how things could have turned out for the Native American Indians if they had compound bows and not just stick bows..

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 22, 2023, 07:11:18 PM
I saw this photo and added the caption "What if".
Just think how things could have turned out for the Native American Indians if they had compound bows and not just stick bows..

Actually much worse, instinctive shooters have a hard time with compounds because it is a repetitive motion that they use, Draw, anchor, release in one fluid motion, the breakover point would have messed that up, Fred Bear didn't like them for that very reason and said so. Now understand that if it is just one shot that could be overcome, but the way Native Americans would often shoot repeatedly or in close quarters it would have put them at a very serious disadvantage even with the extended range.

Perhaps with the early colonial muskets but even then I think it would have been worse for them for he reasons stated above.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

deerhunt1988

Upon extensive examination, I believe the laying Indian is actually using a joystick to control the motions of his extremely realistic hen decoy. Geniuses! Pioneered modern day turkey hunting!

joey46

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on July 22, 2023, 11:35:59 PM
Upon extensive examination, I believe the laying Indian is actually using a joystick to control the motions of his extremely realistic hen decoy. Geniuses! Pioneered modern day turkey hunting!

Bitter and frustrated. A perfect example of why I started the This Forums Direction post that now has over 2600 views. Good luck in the future. :deadhorse:

joey46

Back on topic an artist named David Wright has several affordable secondary market turkey prints. Web site had copyright warnings so can't add pictures. Google
David Wright The Turkey Hunter it should pop up. Lot of Native American themes also.He is pretty prolific.

crow

David Wright does fine detailed work on that time period.

There is some writings on turkey "spookiness" from that time period. In a book "44 Years in the life of a Hunter", by Meshack Browning, a subsistence/market hunter from Western Md. late 1700's- mid 1800's.

He had bought a smoothbore for his wife to use when he was off on hunts, she would walk right up under roosted turkeys at dusk and shoot what was needed to keep the kids and her fed while he was away.

forgot to add the book was written mid 1800's

camotoe

What if he painted a turkey fan on his head . I love the painting but I think if you had to kill a turkey to eat you would use every trick you could.

deathfoot

I've always loved that painting as well. Always made me ponder how it was back hundreds and thousands of years ago. Great post!