Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How advanced were they, I love this painting….

Started by Tom007, July 13, 2023, 07:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Jack Paluh, a famous wildlife painter produced some of the most beautiful turkey hunting scenes. It's amazing to imagine how the early settlers hunted the Wild Turkey with the primitive equipment they had. This painting imagines a Native American trying to harvest a turkey with his stick-bow. Notice the turkey feather-fletched arrows, some sort of fur-hide type blind/cover, and the hen decoy? We can only imagine that with an abundance of birds and these somewhat advanced techniques, one can say they probably were very successful. Have a safe summer......

aclawrence

Cool painting. I love turkey artwork.  I'm sure the Indians found ways to be successful on their turkey hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC

Cool painting Tom, thanks for sharing. I would think that most hunting they did would be by chance/ luck, they hunted to survive, walk woods and kill 1st thing that gave them the opportunity.   
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

Thanks, I can only imagine the first settlers seeing huge flocks of birds...wow

Turkeybutt

Don't know the artist of this piece but it appears to be similar work.

zelmo1

Very cool artwork. I enjoy those types of paintings/ drawings. Z

Happy

Pretty sure that's a rock that they are hiding behind. And I am pretty sure that killing turkeys was for survival and not sport. So yeah, tip the odds in your favor as much as possible in that case. I sure would. They also ran buffalo off of cliffs and drapped deer skin over themselves to crawl towards deer. There was a lot more game and fewer people as well, so it didn't affect things much.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Thanks for sharing the art/pictures, this will make you have a different perspective of those times and the wild turkeys ....Remember the pilgrims

guesswho

In the first picture.   Is that a DSD on the bottom right?   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

crow

Nice art work,
Him and Robert Griffing did some cool work from that time period.

I think it's a rock also, unless it's one of those mirror blinds reflecting off the rock behind it

jhoward11

Would love to have this painting on my wall! Just think how far they could have shot with TSS arrowheads. Had to go there didn't I. It's the off season!!!

bbcoach

Great Pics Tom!  What NO camo, TSS or decoys?????  NOPE, just WOODMANSHIP!  We mess this up and we don't eat!

Happy

I am surprised Guesswho didn't notice the double beard in the second picture. He would have changed his answer.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Lone Star Eastern

They say the Natives used wingbones dating all the way back to 6500 BC!

Paulmyr

Quote from: Lone Star Eastern on July 13, 2023, 03:14:24 PM
They say the Natives used wingbones dating all the way back to 6500 BC!

It actually looks like the man laying on the ground is holding a wingbone call in his left hand or a call of some sort atleast.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.