turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Setup

Started by Lone Star Eastern, May 20, 2023, 01:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Eastern

How do y'all sit when your planning on being set up for a while? I have a hard time being comfortable in one position too long. When I slide down to keep my gun on my knee, my tailbone goes numb. If it sit with my legs straight out, I'm not as ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

A lot of the time i take a nap... with a gun beside me ...

3bailey3

A turkey chair, you can sit as long as needed.

doublespurs21

i was looking at those chairs, they where too big and heavy to be carried anywhere, so i passed on them,, but they did look very nice to sit in..

mastevt

I got one of those turkey lounges.  Darn good investment IMHO.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

lunghit

Turkey lounger chair made a world of a difference for me. I can sit still for much longer periods of time and stay drier and warmer. Great for a nap as well. Well worth the extra weight to carry around.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

bbcoach

Turkey chair, PERIOD.  Being patient plus being comfortable equals SUCCESS IMO!

Tom007

On vest cushion, big tree background, legs up, gun resting across legs using sling to prevent it from sliding. You have to be ready for a quick encounter for sure. If I am working a gobbling bird, gun is on knee ready to just put my cheek on the comb.......this works for me......

Prospector

No right way. If I'm going into an area to set up, I like the chair. Otherwise it's a small pad like comes with a vest. Sometimes I'm more comfortable leaving it behind my back...Truthfully IMO, you are going to move some to restablish blood flow and comfort. For me: I hate wide open woods. Mississippi gobblers oftentimes advance on your position (silently much of the time) and periscope you . If they're out of range when they do, and he doesn't see the object of his desire, he pushes the Ol Fade button. All this to say, choose your set where you most likely can move some especially into shooting position before this happens. If you could stay at 100% alert and ready comfortably I assure you, he would come in from the other way, LOL
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Paulmyr

Here's a pic of how my vest sits when deployed. When I'm up against the tree I'm slouching so to speak. My butt does not sit squarely on the ground. It's held off the ground by the straps connected to the side of the seat pad. The padding is actually not needed while sitting like this and the straps on the pad actually support the upper portion of my hamstrings.

My tail bone rests on the ground. My lower back rests on the small pack that has my rain pants and later in the day maybe my jacket or a hoody stuffed in if it gets too warm. If it's warm to begin with the rain jacket and pants start out in the pack. The middle and upper back rests against the tree.

By sitting like this the pressure point that is usually just on the butt cheeks gets spread across the backside of my body from the back of my upper legs up through the back of my body to a point between my shoulder blades.

When I sit like this the gun rests on my shoulder and knee pretty much parallel the the ground almost at eye level.

Pretty comfy, actually almost to much so as I find myself falling asleep instead of fidgeting trying to release the pressure on my numb but cheeks.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

Here's a pic of me sitting with the vest on. The pad between my shoulder blades is actually a zip out game pouch. Most of the weight is spread evenly along my lower back, tailbone and upper butt cheeks with more weight seemingly taken up by the pack on my lower back. I'll have to correct myself a little as a small portion of the seat padding cushions my upper butt cheeks and tailbone.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

worth612000

My gun is either laying lengthwise along my leg on ground or across my lap. I have never had the need to sit with my gun in the ready position. I only do that when I see or here one coming. I could imagine the discomfort sitting like that for an extended period of time. One of those turkey chair would help

Paulmyr

Quote from: worth612000 on May 21, 2023, 04:45:06 PM
My gun is either laying lengthwise along my leg on ground or across my lap. I have never had the need to sit with my gun in the ready position. I only do that when I see or here one coming. I could imagine the discomfort sitting like that for an extended period of time. One of those turkey chair would help

I couldn't sit like I am in the pic above without having the vest set up as it is. There must be some article of clothing in the pack to add support to the lower/middle portion of back. I'm guessing it's like sitting in the turkey lounger some here talk about. Every pressure point has padding and the pressure is spread out instead of concentrated in one area.

My arms aren't always up like in the pic. The gun rests on my knee and against/on my shoulder on top of the front pocket that has strykers, a pruning shears, and a can of bug spray in it adding support for the stock to rest on. The gun in usually rolled on its side. All I have to do is slide my hands into position and roll the gun and it's ready to fire.

I can sit like that with the way the vest supports me for a long time. I usually have to get up and move because I'm too sleepy and not focusing or I roll over and actually nap because I can't sleep in a sitting position.

If a gobbler comes in from the off hand position its no problem too roll to my right enabling me to cover my right flank without much movement. Same can be said for a bird approaching from behind except I'll roll to my left to allowing me to cover my rear posistion. If I feel in have time I'll spin my position on the tree. If I don't I'll roll to my side. If he's there before I can roll I'll give him a nod and let him walk.

Like I said the pack needs clothing in it. If not, I'm suffering from a numb butt because sitting like in the pic won't work.

worth612000

I don't knock the way someone hunts. I know movement is your #1 enemy, but I know myself I couldn't  keep my knees raised for long, I have back problems. There's  no right or wrong way and members throw out some of their experiences and others may or may not use any of it. I get butt hurt too sitting at a tree and have to shift my body often

Tail Feathers

Hate to carry the lounger but hate not having it worse.  I deal with it for the comfort factor.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!