turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Setup

Started by Lone Star Eastern, May 20, 2023, 01:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

The straps on the side of seat take the weight of my legs and transfers it to the waist band of the vest acting as a lumbar support for my lower back. There is no holding my knees/legs up as the vest does it for me in just need to make sure the straps are adjusted properly. To tight and it's hard to get the seat to flip into the sitting position, too loose and they don't support your legs. I actually keep the seat in the sitting position as I'm walking through the woods. It stays tucked close my body and I hardly know it's there.

There was actually quit a bit of thought that went into the designing of this vest. In Didn't realize it at the time of purchase. I bought it because I was looking to upgrade my old Old Tom vest because I kept losing stuff out of the pockets because I'd forget to zip them and I was trying to stay away from the bulkiness of the full body type vest.

Took my a while to realize that the pack was not just a fanny pack. With the way it hangs only attached at top and with clothing inside could be properly positioned in the gap between the ground, the tree, and my back giving me the proper support for that area. It's moveable and can be placed exactly where needed for support and still be attached to the vest.

After realizing this I started messing with the seat and the straps and found with the right tension on the straps and most of the seat raised off the ground it cradled my lower body kinda like a cross between a chair and a hammock.

I'm not one to tell another man how to hunt either but feel you'd be doing this vest a disservice because you think it looks uncomfortable without actually trying it.

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

g8rvet

I got stuck on the bare ground, awkward lean on a tree with hens and a gobbler around me for an hour 2 years ago.  I was literally sore for a week - back, thighs, knees.  I was 58 at the time. 

This year, got stuck for an hour with 2 hens and 2 gobblers in visual range off and on and was sitting a Millenium chair and was not sore in the least.  I have to have my arse up off the ground or my legs go numb.  I was not flexible when I played football at 16 and 17 and it ain't got any better.

I do not keep the gun up, but I keep it shouldered and across my legs. Unless the bird is close.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bbcoach

I do not keep the gun up, but I keep it shouldered and across my legs. Unless the bird is close.

Here is some advice, USE a chair and get comfortable for a more enjoyable hunting experience.  When sitting in a chair, set with your knees up and lay the stock of your gun sideways on the top of your shooting shoulder and the barrel on the off knee.  You will be hands free to use both hands for calling and your gun will ALWAYS be at the READY with very minimal movement.

Lone Star Eastern

I'm definitely getting a chair before next season. I'm glad y'all reminded me of those.

I used them a couple of time last year (my first season) during a weekend in AL. I actually killed my first turkey from one.

I just didn't what the extra weight, because I have to so much walking. But this weekend in KS involved doing a lot of "deer hunting" a flock of turkeys that didn't want to play. I think I was too restless most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deathfoot

If I know I'm going to sit for hours...it's the turkey lounger, hands down. Worth the weight regardless of how far I have to carry it. There's been some great posts of many other options you can look into. But for me, I still have the original turkey lounger from cabelas. It broke this spring, still workable but I'm going to look at other chairs this off-season.

If I think I'm going to run and gun. It's the cushion on my vest and I'll make it work. I've made it work a ton. But the older I get the more I like my chair.

Lone Star Eastern

So what chairs do y'all recommend? Excuse my ignorance, but I figure they're like camping chairs, and all about the same, and that I'd go with whatever Academy is selling.

g8rvet

Depends a lot on your weight and height.

The lounger style are great.  They take a minute to deploy and you have to sit and rise carefully if you are a big guy.  I broke a bunch over the years and got tired of buying a new one every few years.  I went with the MILLENNIUM OUTDOORS FIELD PRO TURKEY SEAT.  It is cumbersome at times, but slung over and behind it is not that bad.  I have hunted it for 2 years and think I will need to work to break it.  I am happy with it, but it is not for everyone.  I got it on a mega sale (like $40) and decided to try it.  Still have a lounger style, but I find myself grabbing the millennium. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bbcoach

Alps, Browning are quality turkey chairs.  Many will be on sale this time of year to clear out inventory.  Check your local Walmart for the Mossy Oak chair clearance as well.  Normally $30 or less.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 20, 2023, 03:53:51 PM
A turkey chair, you can sit as long as needed.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Uncle Tom

Lone Star Eastern, I have one I made like 25 years ago. It has legs of tube alum.... cannot break or bend...3" wide web seat and web back that folds over for carrying....legs like 4" front and 3" back...that way your legs up a little and not perfect level. Weighs like 4 lbs so real light. I carry it with a strap that snaps together around my upper chest hanging to my right side. Both hands free when walking and when I want to sit just unsnap....it drops down ready to sit. Need to market it because I know it would sell but never have. Only chair that I could sit in all day and never get tired or butt/legs hurting. By being all welded there is no noise. Sit with gun in lap. range finder hanging around neck, mouth call so no hand movement when working a bird. Can shoot off either shoulder if need be.

bbcoach

I just came back from my local Walmart and ALL of their Turkey stuff is marked down.  The Mossy Oak chairs were $25 and they had their Flextone decoys marked down as well as all the calls.

Meleagris gallopavo

I've eventually ended up using a chair.  I have to be comfortable to enjoy a hunt.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Zobo

If I think I'll be sitting for some time I bring this little folding stool. It's about 7 or 8" off the ground which makes a huge difference in comfort and circulation to legs and back while I sit still. It's made a big difference in my comfort level and doesn't weigh too much. When I use it, I leave my vest cushion up on my back and that provides a nice comfortable backer against the tree bark.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Capt long beard

Most of my kills in the last 6 or 7 years have found me with the gun across my lap sitting in a lounger when the bird comes in silent, if he gobbles of course the gun will be up on my knee but usually they're coming in silent and there's always been an opportunity to get the gun up and get a shot, I know it will cost me one day but being comphy is so important in keeping still.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: Paulmyr on May 21, 2023, 03:07:17 PM
Here's a pic of me sitting with the vest on. The pad between my shoulder blades is actually a zip out game pouch. Most of the weight is spread evenly along my lower back, tailbone and upper butt cheeks with more weight seemingly taken up by the pack on my lower back. I'll have to correct myself a little as a small portion of the seat padding cushions my upper butt cheeks and tailbone.
I'll have to give this a try!