turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thinking of getting some new decoys HELP needed

Started by bcuda, May 06, 2023, 12:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcuda

My decoys were some cheap ones I bought and do not seem to have much of a realistic look to them.
So I am thinking of getting a better set of decoys that look somewhat real.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you !

rakkin6

Well it depends on your budget, just my opinion but three options I would go with starting from cheapest to most expensive in what I have used in the past.

1. Flextone decoys are very good especially for the price. They are hard bodies though as the color comes off a little easier but still quality decoy

2. Avian X. I currently have and use these , they are very good and they are inflatable and deflatable. They are very very lifelike. Only downside is since they are inflatable they can spring a leak and you have to be careful you don't hit the decoy when you shoot. I had a laydown hen that sprung a leak on me for no reason and fixed it with show goo.

3. Dave Smith Decoys. I currently have two of them and are the most realistic decoys and the paint stays on the best. They are great decoys and can take some use. They are also hard bodied and the most expensive.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Hope this helped brother and stay safe.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Greg Massey

The ones already mentioned and i will add the Higdon decoys ...

Tail Feathers

Roger's has the three pack Photoform dekes 77% off right now.  They work ok amd look pretty good. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

310 gauge

Deception Decoys have worked well for us when we decide to carry some.

Notsoyoungturk

I use Avian X and they work well.  Have not tried Dave Smith.  The question is how realistic do they need to be once you get a quality decoy.  Are they critically evaluating the decoy or are they just looking for a realistic turkey imitation that would make the sound they are hearing.  Look forward to personal input from the group.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Greg Massey

It's the silhouette and posture of the decoys that attract the gobblers / hens .... I've seen them work with very little calling ....

guesswho

I don't use them, but If I was going to I'd probably use The Primos Lil'gobstopper combo.   I like the idea that they are smaller in size than other decoys, something like 20-30% smaller.   But my advice on
decoys is worth about what you paid for it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

slicksbeagles1

Dave Smith are good decoys but are cumbersome and a little heavy to carry especially if you run and gun. S

WAGinVA

DSD, pay once cry once and be done with it.  I hunt a lot of field birds and have a DSD upright hen that I have had for 12 years, I also have a 3/4 strut jake that I have had for 9 years.  Neither has been repainted and they look damn near as good as the day I bought them

ElkTurkMan

Another vote for DSD decoys here. They are second to none and the detail is unreal.  I purchased mine back in 2017 and they still look as good as the day I purchased them. I don't always use them but the times I have ,I have had some fun hunts.

albrubacker

Quote from: 310 gauge on May 06, 2023, 06:26:22 PM
Deception Decoys have worked well for us when we decide to carry some.
For us also. Normally only use when hunting with the kids. Had one for 4-5 years now and still looking great!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Lone Star Eastern

I like how my Flextone Combo has attached stakes that fold into the decoys for storage. Never have to worry about losing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief Razor

For what its worth, heres my opinion. Short of a taxidermy bird in a field the DSD is about as close as it gets. If I hunted blinds on a field edge and just carried them once, thats what I would do. The collapsible Montana decoys is what my buddy carries in his vest and for a running and gunning decoy set up, it think its the best option. Take it with a grain of salt from a guy that doesn't carry decoys.

jhoward11

I agree with the DSD. Even running and gunning I can still carry a hen with a stake and it's not that bad. Would a collapsible work better that was as realistic looking as the DSD? You bet, but haven't found that yet. I still use a vest with a bigger pouch in the rear, so I could put a hen and stake in there for running if need be.