OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thinking of getting some new decoys HELP needed

Started by bcuda, May 06, 2023, 12:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

I've got an Avian X jake and a couple of hens I've used for 7 years.  The jakes been hit several times (he rattles) but I shoot some fix-a-flat in him and he's good to go.  Honestly I don't think decoys need to be super lifelike to be effective.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

HookedonHooks

Buy once, cry once. Avian-X HDR or DSD's are the only way to go.

I run Avian-X HDR series, they're lighter weight and a hard body that can't deflate like the LCD series decoys. The DSD have a "self-healing" A.C.E material and can take a broad head or flyer pellets. Both are very good options, and while they're expensive, they'll likely be the last turkey decoys you ever have to buy.

jb1069

Quote from: guesswho on May 06, 2023, 06:51:01 PM
I don't use them, but If I was going to I'd probably use The Primos Lil'gobstopper combo.   I like the idea that they are smaller in size than other decoys, something like 20-30% smaller.   But my advice on
decoys is worth about what you paid for it.

I 2nd this. Very seldom use decoys because they have hurt me more than helped. But I just purchased this Hen and Jake combo for around $50. I also like the idea of smaller. The jake looks very good and the hen looks good enough. Bought them for field use at the house. Probably end up collecting dust but for 50 bucks it will be fun to try with.

Will

DSD. Yes they may be pricey but this Jake mounted this DSD for over 2 hours and no damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bbcoach

I'm an Avian X guy.  A little heavy but very realistic and they work period!  I've been looking at the Higdon Decoys.  They aren't as pricey and realistic as well but hard bodied (not collapsible if you want to run and gun).  Flextone maybe.  DSD Pricey.  Plenty of REAL Decoys out there, the question is how much do you want to Shell out. 

chipper

The wife got into turkey hunting last year and bought the Higdon's and I must say that they look really good in the fields.

Tom007

Primos Photoform, proven killers.....super light, easiest to carry....

Sir-diealot

DSD came out with one with a hen preening, I think that along with my feeding decoy would be good at putting them at rest for my photography.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Kylongspur88

I'll cast a vote for DSD. They are a little cumbersome but they're the best looking decoy out there. I won't lie. There's been a few times I've taken a little nap and when I wake up a get a start thinking there's a bird standing in front of me when I see my dsd.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: rakkin6 on May 06, 2023, 12:42:12 PM
Dave Smith Decoys. I currently have two of them and are the most realistic decoys and the paint stays on the best. They are great decoys and can take some use. They are also hard bodied and the most expensive.

Agreed. I use them when I hunt with decoys, and the gobblers love them. Well worth the money.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Will on May 08, 2023, 08:52:49 PM
DSD. Yes they may be pricey but this Jake mounted this DSD for over 2 hours and no damage.

Funny you mention that. My best friend came up to hunt with me. I let him borrow my DSD leading hen. He had a jake come in, strutted for the deke, mounted it, then hung around the decoy for the next 2 hours.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

zelmo1

DSD are the best in my opinion, but there are always drawbacks. They are heavier and more expensive. I am ordering a couple more, lol. I want what works. The 3/4 strut Jake has thinned a few gobblers out in my area. Z

Tnandy

The Avian X have been good for me, whenever I use them. I do use the cheap foam ones in the woods sometimes before it greens up just to hold a tom's attention long enough for me to get on him. I like the light weight.  In open space, I use a Avian hen and an old B Mobile from Primos.  They have aided in some outstanding "shows" and hunts through the years. Been the death of several big toms

Jim K

Avian x aren't what they used to be since their manufacturing went over seas. Had another one break this spring. The tube came loose inside. I'll stick with quality made in the USA dsd decoys myself.

stinkpickle

A DSD jake will work great by itself.  Carrying two or more of those dekes might be a pain, but hauling one around ain't too bad.