OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

$1000 budget - Auto 20 gauge recommendation

Started by mdmitchell, May 05, 2023, 01:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdmitchell

Looking for an auto loader, no longer than 24 " barrel. I have a $1000 budget for the gun.

What would you get?

Greg Massey

I would look at the Retay's Gordion Turkey with pistol grip stock.. with a 22 inch barrel and with an Inertia Plus rotating bolt ... regardless of the gun it would have the inertia system... 

HookedonHooks

Franchi Affinity 3 Compact.

If you can splurge a little extra, the Affinity Elite Turkey model.

skimerhorn

Sa20 or stoeger m3020. Good guns and you should have enough left for a red dot and a choke

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

huntinsomd

Beretta A300 Ultima turkey model. Local shop has them on sale for $799. Gun has 24" barrel, fiber optic front sight, drilled and tapped (comes with a rail) and it's offered in 2 camo finishes. I bought one a couple months back and really like it!

davisd9

Quote from: huntinsomd on May 05, 2023, 06:45:33 PM
Beretta A300 Ultima turkey model. Local shop has them on sale for $799. Gun has 24" barrel, fiber optic front sight, drilled and tapped (comes with a rail) and it's offered in 2 camo finishes. I bought one a couple months back and really like it!

Second this but mine is the standard and not turkey model.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WV Ridge Reaper

Weatherby element sure looks like a fine one well below that budget price to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwild835

mdmitchell

Quote from: kwild835 on May 06, 2023, 06:24:18 PM
Affinity compact if it were me!
This might be a dumb question but is the smaller package an issue for anyone? I'm 6'4" and that lop is pretty short. But I'm thinking maybe that's advantageous with the positions we turkey hunt from?

Also - any suggestions for someone who could cerakote in bottomlands?

HookedonHooks

Quote from: mdmitchell on May 07, 2023, 07:37:00 AM
Quote from: kwild835 on May 06, 2023, 06:24:18 PM
Affinity compact if it were me!
This might be a dumb question but is the smaller package an issue for anyone? I'm 6'4" and that lop is pretty short. But I'm thinking maybe that's advantageous with the positions we turkey hunt from?

Also - any suggestions for someone who could cerakote in bottomlands?
You can get a full sized stock for it if it is an issue, but I'm 6'3" and have no issues with it. It's easier to not get your cheek down on the stock all the way with a shorter LoP so you just have to keep that in the back of your mind.

The big companies like Rob Roberts or Koehler Gun Works will be able to do a original Bottomland cerakote for sure. A local company to me, Perry Precision Outdoors, also does fantastic work cheaper than a lot of competitors too and does just as good, they can do an original Bottomland as well.

mdmitchell

Yeah the cheek issue isn't really an issue as I'll be running a red dot.

Just found the compact on kygunco for 789 so I'm gonna bite the bullet

kwild835

I am 6'3" and it isn't and issue with my holosun sight.  $789 seems like a heck of a deal!
Hope you like it.

quackaddict

Quote from: skimerhorn on May 05, 2023, 03:36:12 PM
Sa20 or stoeger m3020. Good guns and you should have enough left for a red dot and a choke

This. You could get the Stoeger compact, a red dot, a Sumtoy mount, a Sumtoy choke, some TSS and have it drilled and tapped for less than $1k
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Gooserbat

SX4 or Retay Gordion.  Two entirely different guns as the SX4 is gas and the Retay is recoil.  Both have impressed me.  Both have shot great and functioned great.  Both are available with out a pistol grip and I hate pistol grips so that's a big plus for me.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.