turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New gun - 20 or 12 if using lead?

Started by mdmitchell, May 04, 2023, 03:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdmitchell

Longtime lurker here - first time poster.

I've used a 12 gauge for years and in the last 5 years I've run the longbeard xrs and been very very happy with my patter. My guns super cheap tho and but I'm looking to upgrade guns.

My initial thought was to get a 20 for the weight and recoil savings. BUT I have 0 interest in going to TSS right now. I can't stomach the cost.

So I guess my question here is - how well do longbeard xrs perform out of a 20? Or if I go 20 do I need to go to TSS? I'm not shooting turkeys past 40.

Or am I better off staying 12 so I can keep using my beloved XRs.

sswv

I have several friends including myself that carry a 20ga with LB's.  all of them but myself have gotten rid of their 12ga guns. I have a 870 20ga and a 301 20ga compact and they shoot waaay better with the newer chokes and LB #6's than any 12ga I know of when I was coming up.  the right choke and a box of LB's make the 20ga a very solid 40yd gun.

howl

Go 20. Use money from old 12 for TSS.

357MAGNOLE

This is Federal GS #5's so you'll possibly get even better results out of 6's from the Longbeards. I tried the TSS loads, they are legit. But I can't justify the cost. Most my shots are going to be under 30 yards and rarely had a clear shot at 40. At $1 a shell vs $10 a shell. It's an easy choice. The one bird I took with TSS this season flopped the same as they do with lead.

image uploader
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

BandedSpur

If I was dead set on sticking with lead, I would stay with the 12 gauge. Most guys that shoot lead out of 20 gauges, if they are being honest, will tell you they are a 35 yard gun, and there is no way that I am going to limit myself to a 35 yard gun. I do not espouse long range turkey sniping, and most of my turkeys are killed under 40 yds, but no more chances than I get in a season, if my only chance comes at 45 yds, I don't want a 35 yard gun in my hands. TSS is the great equalizer. Turns a 20 gauge into a way better gun than any 12 gauge shooting lead.

shatcher

quackaddict

A 20 is a very solid 35 yard gun, but can kill birds to 40 with the right shell/choke setup. But if you're hunting woods birds, I don't see much of a handicap shooting lead out of a 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

SM

I shot one of my birds this year with a 20 and LB #5,only at 20 yards. Hunting timber like I do here,I only need a 30 yard gun. My SA-20 with LBXR's or Federal Grand Slams or Winchester Double X,is a 35 yard gun as is my Stoeger M3020 and 500 Bantum.
I did shoot my 3rd season bird with the M3020 and Apex 2 3/4" #9's at 30 yards,but I could have used either of the lead loads and been fine with those.

The SA-20 puts 140 LB 5's in a 10" circle and 171 on a 12" x 12" at 30 yards with a Trulock .575
and 141 in a 10" circle and 188 on a 12" x 12" target with Winchester Double X and the Trulock .575
That's with the dot sighted in a little high ( I aim where skin meets feathers so set up so shot is a little above )

b wilt

12 gauge with 2 3/4 TSS is my sweetspot. my 21 inch barrel 870 is almost as light as a 20. keep the 12 and use the new gun money for a box of TSS.

strum

Im in the lead = 12 camp.   if I'm using lead I'm going 3 1/2" 12 gauge .
We all say get em close blah blah but there's those times when youll have to make a 35-40 yard shot or let him walk. 20 gauge may not do it.

BHMTitan

I shoot a 20g Weatherby SA-08 with Indian Creek 0.555 choke.  I'll be honest with you... I get over 130 hits in the 10" at 40y shooting LongBeard #6.  This season I've killed turkeys from 15 to 38y, they're all very dead!

Greg Massey

If i was buying a new gun it would be the 20 ga. and set it up with the long beards and in the future if you decide to use TSS you will already have your 20 ga. ... You can always pickup a cheaper 12 ga. in the future ....

the Ward

12 gauge if it were my choice. More ammo choices, more versatility, more availability,especially with lead.I picked up a new auto 12 for this year, Winchester sx4 3.5, and i love it so far. Shoots dead on
with bead and various loads, patterns good, lightweight and good on recoil. Got it under a grand in the fde cerakote and old school style camo. So far, it's been great.

quackaddict

This is a Franchi 720 with 26" barrel and 3" #6 longbeards from years past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

howl

They key point about TSS is that you can get a good enough pattern just using the full choke that comes with the gun. With lead, you may can get it with this or that choke or this or that load. You have to buy all those things and try them to see.

Or you can just buy the TSS shells.