OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New gun - 20 or 12 if using lead?

Started by mdmitchell, May 04, 2023, 03:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage

Gooserbat

Get a nice 20... Notice nice not expensive and buy some tss.  The cost is not cheap but in reality will you shoot a box of 5 in a season. Unless you travel to hunt multiple states you won't except you spend time patterning or miss a lot. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jhoward11

20g for sure. Like gooserbat said. maybe 2-3 TSS shells a season if you hunt different states. Unless you miss a lot, in which case you may want to re-think some other things. That 20g is probably going to be cheaper than the 12g, so use that savings to buy TSS. Good luck

Farmboy27

How important is a pound of gun weight to you?  I have always carried a 12 and never minded it. The first few years my son hunted youth season he shot a 20 and I carried it when we were moving. Never once did I feel like giving up my 12 for a 20. If I ever do however, I would most likely switch to tss for the 20. But for now at 42 years old the heft of my 12 gauge doesn't bother me in the least and still feels right in my hands. I like the feel of a bit more forward weight when aiming. But for snap shooting rabbits and grouse, I wouldn't give my 20 gauge 11/87 up for the world!