turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I did something 99% of you have not

Started by WV Flopper, April 09, 2023, 06:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

And if your in my 1% with me, I am sorry for you. Here is how it goes.

Yesterday I get out of the truck at 541 start walking up the hill and here an owl, its still pretty dark. The third time he gives a hoooo a turkey gobbles right where they have been for the last 12 years. I just keep walking. I know where to go.

Turkey gobbles good at the owl, chickens, dogs, whatever, he is proud of himself. "He did sound good." I slide up behind him and get seated and wait.

It finally gets to a point I feel safe to let out a couple soft calls and shut up. I see him fly down right below the crest in the ridge between us, as they have many times.

My gun is trained to the right beyond where I anticipate his presence to be made and wait. I am ready. I am studying for any movement on the crest above where he pitched out and just can't make him out. 5 minutes-10 minutes maybe, tic, 90 degrees to my right. I very slower turn my head with my eyes looking at the side of my skull and my nose and see him standing there, 13yards, strutting.

I am pinned down tight and don't move, he made a great decision and went to his left, my right, behind me. I let him go turning my head as he went. When he strutted I turned but didn't do the best of jobs. He came out of strut and I flat out missed him.

I am going to fast forwarded from the miss to this morning.

So, I arrive 5 minutes earlier this morning and start walking. I get right to the bottom of the ridge they like and he gobbles, same spot as yesterday. It's dark.

I slide up there and set on the crest today. I am ready before I set down, waiting. I am going to guess on this but would say at 620 he flew down. I seen him come down off the limb. I hadn't made a peep yet. When he hit the ground I ran off a yelp and seen him blow up. Kind of like a glob, a glob of black 75 yards away.

He strutted his way right on up to me, I would say at 35 yards a hen yelped behind me to my left. The Tom started heading that way and I clucked softly a couple times and he honored that.

At 30 yards he was perfect. I started applying pressure to the point that I snap the trigger. Somewhere right in that moment he moved just a tad and I flat out missed, AGAIN! Two days in a row I missed the same turkey, he and I will have another date together. He is one lucky dude.

I did learn one lesson but am not sure how to resolve. FFF3 on lowest setting puts a heck of a blur on a gobbler when it's not a natural time for them to be on the ground!

After the swing and miss yesterday I went to the other end of the property and called up two long beards. No excuse from the gun, it was sighted in on Friday and hadn't moved in the 12 hours before season. I didn't miss on the one I picked out.

That other one, he has a golden horseshoe tucked up something.
You know your getting old when you laugh at this if it happens to you. There was a time not long ago, I would not have laughed.

Happy

Sorry bout your run of bad luck. I prefer to laugh about others' misfortunes. When it comes to turkeys, it takes a few days until I can laugh at myself.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

I've never missed so I can't comment on that aspect.  But I once fired two warning shots in less than an hour, but that was at different turkeys.   I do laugh at myself when warning shots are fired, but I laugh louder when someone else is on the trigger.   His days are numbered.   Good luck.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Shiloh

I've gotten to where I fire more and more warning shots!!

WV Flopper

I should take that advice, "Warning shots". He needs educated or someone is going to kill him. He is overly eager for sure, and lucky.

I think no more warning shots are warranted from me. 

runngun

Yes, sir!!! I am so glad you said something about the FF3. Two days ago, I had a similar story about the same thing,  A MISS!!!
I live in Louisiana, and it's always humid, but 2 days ago, I couldn't hardly breathe. I ran my air conditioner in the truck,  got to the spot, and he played the game exactly what I wanted him to do. 40 yards, wide open, and I see him great, but for some reason, when I looked through the FF3, BLURRY. I have MS, so I thought at 1st my eyes were playing tricks on me.  The dot also seemed bright to me as well.
After the miss, I came home to check on my gun. Again, I ran the air conditioner in the truck on the way home. I got out and I put a target on the backer, and I got my gun out, walking to the bench, I looked down at the FF3, so much moisture on the lens I absolutely couldn't see through it!¡! 1st time using the red dot, it's not good so far!!!
Shot my gun, and it's on, no doubt about it, a clean miss. At the shot, he just slicked off and just walked out of my life.  FOR NOW ANYWAY!¡
WHEN HUMIDITY TURNS TO HUMILITY!!!
Also 1st time shooting a 20 gauge, turkey hunting.

Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo
Tomorrow is going to be a better day!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Paulmyr

I'm not so sure about that 99 percent number. Thinking you might be giving us way to much credit!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

NO shame in missing, we have all did it with pride... I love the story ....

sbbow

Great story an I believe his days are numbered! We need pics when his luck runs out .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sswv

I know that stinks but at least you know where there's a gobbler that likes you. WV season opens the 17th and I can't wait. I hope I just get to hear and see what you have so far. You'll get him next time and we'll be complimenting your picture of that ol bird in a day or so.

bwall3220

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 09, 2023, 07:32:37 PM
I'm not so sure about that 99 percent number. Thinking you might be giving us way to much credit!

Amen! When you've hunted turkeys long enough you've either had your share of misses or you're a liar about them, haha

One of favorite quotes on this subject....it'll be alright, you'll forget about it in about 25 or 30 years

ChesterCopperpot

I missed hell out of a bird I've chased for three years a week ago tomorrow. First shot opportunity I've ever had on him. I just flat blew it. A few days later I got on him again but he wouldn't slip up. He seldom slips up. That to say, if you've hunted any length of time at all, it happens. And with regards to yours, third time's the charm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Timer

That`s turkey hunting! I feel your pain. I withhold any advise because I have fired warning shots also. But in reality I think turkey dinner will be served soon.  :newmascot:

Gooserbat

I guess that's one way to savor the hunt and keep it going.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like he's a creature of habit. That should work in your favor...... as long as you aren't a creature of habit and miss again. Best of luck to you!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk