only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I did something 99% of you have not

Started by WV Flopper, April 09, 2023, 06:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

I have a feeling he won't be so lucky next time........ :fud:

Southernson13

I have done it... About an hour after the first time. (Facepalm). This was before I learned much about poi/POA and how different chokes impact differently. I was shooting a foot to the right and a foot over him both times.

Marc

With turkeys...  I no longer remember all the times I have connected...  But...  I sure remember those MISSES! :character0029:

Don't worry...  Ten years from now, you'll be able to laugh at this. :toothy12:
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

callmakerman

I've missed the same bird twice in the same morning four hours apart. I wasn't laughing to much but got over it and yes, the gun was on. All I can say is it happens and field birds are hard to judge distance. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Badger

Great story.  More hunters miss than you think.

Flatsnbay

Great story! I can't wait for the next story when you get him.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

True Confessions Time, I see...
Circa 1981...High in the mountains of New Mexico. Early morning.  Set up with back to a stump with several roosted gobblers spread out over a mountainside above me.  Soon have a gobbler march down to me, stopping at around twenty yards in the wide open.  I shoot.  Gobbler flies off untouched.  Sit back down and mope for a few minutes.

Another gobbler sounds off.  I call.  He struts down the hill to the same spot the first bird stood.  I shoot, gobbler flies off untouched.  I mope again.

The End....

...Oh wait,...Not The End...    I've had similar incidents a couple more times over the years.  Thanks for bringing this topic up and reminding me! ....NOT!  ::) ;D :angel9:

Turkeyman

Somehow I think you're percentage figure is way on the high side!

eggshell

You been hanging out on Old Gobbler too much....missitis is contagous and some here have it. I know for a fact I caught it from a certain poster here last spring! Drove 1600 miles and hunted hard for three days only to miss a perfectly good shot on a nice merriams. The only thing I could think of was I got too close to a certain forum member that had missitis the day before I got there.....not mentioning any names, that would be nuts

GobbleNut

Quote from: eggshell on April 10, 2023, 10:48:48 AM
You been hanging out on Old Gobbler too much....missitis is contagous and some here have it. I know for a fact I caught it from a certain poster here last spring! Drove 1600 miles and hunted hard for three days only to miss a perfectly good shot on a nice merriams. The only thing I could think of was I got too close to a certain forum member that had missitis the day before I got there.....not mentioning any names, that would be nuts

You really gotta watch who you hang out with around here....   ;D :angel9:

ejhandler

Couple years ago I missed presumably the same bird twice.  First time was after playing cat and mouse for 2 days.  Third morning I tried to get ahead of him but couldn't get to where he wanted to be in time so I listened to him gobble his head off 75 yards away for nearly an hour.  Then he went silent.  Figured he was moving, and he was.  Caught movement out of the corner of my eye, he circled wide to my left.  Let him work behind some obstructions and turned toward his last seen location, let out some light calling.    He circled back around to my now right side, coming on a string right down a path behind me.  I had a hell of a hide in a blown down tree top, so good that there was no way to make a good turn on him.  He got to about 15 yards when I decided I had to take my swing.  Spun around, stood up to a knee, took a running shot and missed.

Fast forward to the following weekend, got in early and set up on the route that i thought he had been taking all last weekend.  Gobble time comes, and he's roosted in the same spot.  15-20 minutes after fly down his hen comes walking past at 20 yards.  I picked an open spot down an old grown-in logging road and trained my gun on it, waiting for him to follow.  Here he comes a couple minutes later full strut on the same route as the hen.  He gets to about 35 yards right on the edge of the old logging road and comes out of strut picks his head up and tucks his wings.  What the--  I hadn't moved an inch!  What did he see?  6th sense maybe?  Took the shot through a little bit of junk at that moment and again, missed!  Three more steps and I'm confident that hunt has a different outcome. 

WV Flopper

I am proud of your guys honestly. "But very disappointed" in you guys, you suck! Running around and missing turkeys lick that!

There is no reason to miss a turkey, twice, that's just plain out unexceptionable.... For the same turkey anyway.

I have had my share of craziness that's for sure, I hope it stops before I can't hunt anymore. I have missed twice one day, two different set ups, different turkeys, funny...same property as this weekend.

I am thinking the guy in the office may have made me sick today, he coughed and hacked and just plain out made noise all day long. I sware he was grunting while breathing. "I did ask if he were ok". Seriously, dude sets right in front of me with plexiglass between us.

So, with his junk I am thinking it will hit me Wednesday morning. Now, I was raised if you were sick you were sick and you may as well be at work making money while your sick. " Your sick regardless." I have lived by this for 30+ years with exception to one time when I had puked till my ribs were sore and my butt was raw.

But, maybe I will bend this one time, in the era of COVID, and self monitor in the woods on Wednesday... MAYBE.

Thanks for all the great stories guys!

WV Flopper

If things have a turn in luck I will post a picture, at least this bird kicking my butt ain't a Jake. Probably a two year old, but hoping he doesn't make to three by my hand!

Spitten and drummen

Well look on the bright side. At least you got to shoot at one. I know some guys who go a full season and never gets a shot at one. I have whiffed a few over the years. Use to make me sick at my stomach and had a hard time getting over it. Fast forward in my turkey hunting career and I have let good birds I could kill walk off. I still kill them but I get a sick feeling when it's over because I know I will never hear that bird gobble or play the game with him ever again.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gobbler428

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 12, 2023, 04:51:30 PM
Well look on the bright side. At least you got to shoot at one. I know some guys who go a full season and never gets a shot at one. I have whiffed a few over the years. Use to make me sick at my stomach and had a hard time getting over it. Fast forward in my turkey hunting career and I have let good birds I could kill walk off. I still kill them but I get a sick feeling when it's over because I know I will never hear that bird gobble or play the game with him ever again.
True, True I feel the same way, agree 100%