OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

boy is sick

Started by harvester, February 14, 2011, 07:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

Tell me bout it. If people would stop sending there kids to school with fevers and everything that would deter alot. Seems like alot of the parents use the school as a babysitter. My wife works at the school and I dont even like talking about it anymore, just makes me mad.. Kids coming in there with no jackets, no socks and with short sleave shirts on in the winter time. Then you see their parents, all new clothes and have a brand new $40k vehicle and only worried about their appearance. I just hope the youngest doesn't start running a fever, I thought he had last night but we got lucky. Well off my soap box now. Thanks everybody, I hope I can say the flu shot my wife took works.

mfd1027

Well being grandparents we kind of catch it all the way around.   We have the grandkids everyday so we get whatever they drag home and then we're also where they get dropped off when they're too sick to go to school!  I've already started warning everybody that we're out of here from about Mar. 24th til-- well I'm saying "June" but I know that won't happen.   It could happen if we get called out for catastrophe work but I doubt it will happen for Grampy to go chase gobbler's around.  lol   
Dan

harvester

How many states do you plan on hunting this year Dan?

mfd1027

Fla.,Ga.,Ky.,Tenn. and I've starting looking at flights to NH.  If that happens I could add NH and Vt.  I love hunting in New England.   I'll be hunting in the mtns. in N. Georgia so maybe that will make up for NH and Vt. but I doubt it.  If you look at the "dead turkey" thread it's pretty easy to pick out  the one's in NH and Vt. 
Dan

harvester

Quote from: mfd1027 on February 15, 2011, 05:42:29 PM
Fla.,Ga.,Ky.,Tenn. and I've starting looking at flights to NH.  If that happens I could add NH and Vt.  I love hunting in New England.   I'll be hunting in the mtns. in N. Georgia so maybe that will make up for NH and Vt. but I doubt it. 

Holey Cow! Man you sure do some traveling. Where you huntin at in Tn? How many birds do you usually kill during the spring season?

mfd1027

If I hunt tenn. it will be Ft. Campbell.   The best deal in the country.   I can buy my Ky. license and hunt Ft. Campbell with it and they use Tenn. regulations.   This will be my first year hunting Ft. Campbell.   With one 200.00 out of state lic. - Kentucky,  I could kill 7 birds "if I was good enough" and had a lot of luck.   I usually average 3-4 birds a yr. but have killed as many as 13 but I've also had a lot of years of eating tag soup.    Rick and Wes killed 4 each last year,  JJones kills 7-8 every yr.  We've got some killer's on our team.   We're actually a "sleeper" team.  You guys have all been great additions. 
Dan

harvester

Quote from: mfd1027 on February 15, 2011, 06:07:24 PM
If I hunt tenn. it will be Ft. Campbell.   The best deal in the country.   I can buy my Ky. license and hunt Ft. Campbell with it and they use Tenn. regulations.   This will be my first year hunting Ft. Campbell.   With one 200.00 out of state lic. - Kentucky,  I could kill 7 birds "if I was good enough" and had a lot of luck.   I usually average 3-4 birds a yr. but have killed as many as 13 but I've also had a lot of years of eating tag soup.    Rick and Wes killed 4 each last year,  JJones kills 7-8 every yr.  We've got some killer's on our team.   We're actually a "sleeper" team.  You guys have all been great additions. 
I should have killed more but i have missed 3 in the pass two seasons cause I get all worked up. I really don't know how but I do. Missed the last two birds two years ago, one of them was with a 20 gauge at 25 yards,I just knew it was dead. Missed the first one out of the gate last year, had him a 25-30 yards in some thick stuff and finally got a shot and killed two small pine limbs and blistered a maple right in front of him. I thought about changing something but didn't. Figured it was just me. 5 out of 8 aint real good but I will take it.

gob09

what kind of sights are you useing dustin or is it a bead i understand about getting worked up i get that way and for me the best way to get through it is go down the check list i know it seems chessy as hell but it works for me
1. is gun loaded think back and remember (check)
2.is safety off
3.make sure cheek is firmly planted to the stock
4.have i got a good shot can i see sights good
5.repeat 1 thru. 4
6. fire

unclerick

Let me tell you, Wes gets worked up big time when a bird is near, he'll shake so hard that the tree he sits against shakes, his breathing gets so eratic he almost stops breathing, his eyes even start to jump around in their sockets.... :TooFunny:
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

gob09

Quote from: unclerick on February 15, 2011, 08:18:44 PM
Let me tell you, Wes gets worked up big time when a bird is near, he'll shake so hard that the tree he sits against shakes, his breathing gets so eratic he almost stops breathing, his eyes even start to jump around in their sockets.... :TooFunny:
have i missed one yet though

unclerick

Quote from: gob09 on February 15, 2011, 08:27:58 PM
Quote from: unclerick on February 15, 2011, 08:18:44 PM
have i missed one yet though
NOPE!!!!!
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

harvester

Quote from: gob09 on February 15, 2011, 07:41:51 PM
what kind of sights are you useing dustin or is it a bead i understand about getting worked up i get that way and for me the best way to get through it is go down the check list i know it seems chessy as hell but it works for me
1. is gun loaded think back and remember (check)
2.is safety off
3.make sure cheek is firmly planted to the stock
4.have i got a good shot can i see sights good
5.repeat 1 thru. 4
6. fire

Its a bead. One of the birds I shot at was running, shouldn't have shot but caught up in everything, had 7 jakes and 1 longbeard coming in. I was trying to crawl up to a tree out in the middle of the field to get setup but couldn't get there, the birds had me pinned down. So when I rose up to my knees I put the bead on the first one and it was a jake, I pulled off of it and found the longbeard but he was running. I shot at him bout 30 yards and just missed. The second one was with a 20 ga, my wife was with me that day and she had the 12 ga bout 150 yards away. They were feedin straight to her, so I told her that I was going to slip around the other end of the field just in case they came back that way. Well they did and I got settled in behind an old ivy bush. When he got to bout 25 yards I shot and he just rolled, then jumped up and flew away. I thought what the heck. Needless to say I was pissed. It had a superfull choke and 3 in shell. More than enough to kill a bird. Last year opening weekend had one coming in and two hens came up the holler and intercept him bout 30 yards out. It was thick, I was able to see him breed one of the hens though, He kept struttin back and forth threw an opening, so I figured I could get a good shot on him. I had two small limbs off of a pine bout 15 yards in front of me that I thought I could shoot over. Well that is where I was wrong. As soon as he stopped in the opening I let her fly. Klled the two limbs and he got away. Thats turkey hunting.

keyser12ga

Dustin, If you've got a vent rib, look in to those Williams Fire sights.  They are pretty sharp and give you a good two points to line up with.  I know alot of it is the excitement and fast shooting.  And I wish someone had been there to tape my last spring bird coming in.  I've done alot of shooting and know to control breathing during a shot, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack and hyperventilate at the same time.

gob09

those fire sights are bad a$$ i want a set for myself

mfd1027

You guys need to get that Clint Eastwood attitude when a bird is approaching and know that it's not a matter of whether he'll die or not it's a matter of  when.  :chucknorris:  :smiley-char092:  Most of the time you have time so "try" to be completely calm and seal the deal.   THEN GO NUTS!!!!!!   :z-guntootsmiley:   Learning to control your nerves is just as essential to becoming a complete turkey hunter as scouting, calling, etc.   
Dan