News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

flying with my shotgun and ammo

Started by hipp2412, March 29, 2023, 09:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: wareagle22 on March 31, 2023, 07:33:42 AM
I fly somewhere hunting every year and can tell you that every airline is different.   It doesn't matter what the TSA guidelines are, it's dependent on the person checking you in.   With American and Southwest, you can have your ammo in your gun case as long as it's in a box and not loose.  I always have a lock in every spot available on my case.   This year, I'm flying on Delta so I called to check their regulations.    You CANNOT have your gun and ammo in the same case.   Must be separate and both locked.   They consider it one checked bag so you don't have to pay extra for it.   I would advise calling the airline you are flying and ask them their policy.   In all the years I've travel hunted, I have never had an issue after calling the airline.   I have had cases beat to death during transit and I would also advise not using a cheap case as they do not handle them with care.   I saw sn aluminum gun case at the airport in Denver one year that looked like it fell off the cart and got run over.   It was completely destroyed.
Like said every airline and ticket agent dose some things different just have extra time and wont have any problems. I just got back two days ago from florida to Mn flying Delta return trip. past post was told not to have ammo in case. Well I had my ammo in factory box in gun case with gun going there and coming back no problems. That is the way i have been doing it since 2009, sometime they open and other times not. On return trip I figured i would have to open case this time because I also added the two tail fans and feet in a tightly wrappped bag. The only other thing I do but not necessary, but got coments that they liked was i put one of the cable chamber locks on my gun in the case. The minute you open the case they can see the lock and it make them at ease that the gun is not loaded. On delta when i got to Orlando my gun case had two very heavy duty plastic zip ties all around the case, need a good knife to cut. When I flew back from orlando to Minneapolis my gun case had one little tiny plastic zip tie in one lock hole on the end of case. It was doing absolutely no good a preventing someone from opening that case in a hurry.
So like said there all different, good luck most times its a breeze.

joey46

I just read (three times) Delta Airlines written baggage policies regarding firearms and ammunition.  It is the perfect example of why you never call and ask a phone nitwit for rules that will affect your packing decisions.  Delta does require a lock in anyplace that is designed for a lock.  They also have the normal 11 pound weight limit on ammo and state the ammo can be packed in it's original package or in a container that prevents shifting etc.  I'll probably look again but so far there is nothing about not storing it in the case with the firearm or having a separate locked case that they won't charge for (a real red flag - airlines don't give many freebies regarding baggage).  If anyone can see this supposed rule in the written form from Delta please post.  Beware of any info you receive strictly over the phone.  Delta's rules are more descriptive than many other airlines but that is normal for international carriers.

g8rvet

I have not seen the ammo case exemption (which was most certainly there circa 2006 because I did it on Delta) in a long time.  I have carried my ammo in my gun case via Delta into Canada multiple times.  I am also glad to see the rule is now amended to say every hole must have a lock in it.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

hipp2412

I appreciate everyone's responses. But it is starting to get as clear as mud! lol  I bought a heavy pelican case with good pad locks for every hole, and I am going to have my ammo in the original cardboard box inside the gun case. I feel sure that I will be good to go.. Thanks again
Hipp

WV Flopper

You will be good to go. Have a great trip and I hope you find success in your adventure.

RND1983

I just checked my firearm with Delta. Ammo in the original box in the firearm case. Zero issues and was only asked if it was over 11 pounds of ammo. Also put my knives and pruners in there. I had 2 locks on the case and no tsa locks. My case only has two holes. It is an easy process and if anyone has issues, ask for the supervisor. They didn't even have me wait around for the thumbs up. Now if only the weather will clear up so we can take off...

Spurs Up

Quote from: RND1983 on April 01, 2023, 09:05:24 AM
I just checked my firearm with Delta. Ammo in the original box in the firearm case. Zero issues and was only asked if it was over 11 pounds of ammo. Also put my knives and pruners in there. I had 2 locks on the case and no tsa locks. My case only has two holes. It is an easy process and if anyone has issues, ask for the supervisor. They didn't even have me wait around for the thumbs up. Now if only the weather will clear up so we can take off...

Last I flew Delta with a firearm, they required me to go to the baggage claim office at my destination to retrieve the gun. I welcomed that as added security against theft or loss on an otherwise open conveyor belt.

bwall3220

Quote from: hipp2412 on March 31, 2023, 09:44:00 PM
I appreciate everyone's responses. But it is starting to get as clear as mud! lol  I bought a heavy pelican case with good pad locks for every hole, and I am going to have my ammo in the original cardboard box inside the gun case. I feel sure that I will be good to go.. Thanks again

All of these guys are giving you good sound advice bud, better safe than sorry! Every employee and airport will be different guaranteed
I've flown with a gun probably 20 something times and it's a breeze, actually checked in and waiting on the plane as I type (with delta)!
Have a GOOD solid/hard plastic case (not a cheap plano) I always fly with a pelican. Have ammo in original box, i've always had ammo and gun in same case but separated from each other so they can see on x-ray machine. The rule has always been a lock on each corner, one in each hole might be new but it wasn't brought up to me this morning....i'd put all 4 in to be safe cause another airport might be stricter. You'll have to "declare a firearm" to the agent at the ticket counter and sign a card and put inside the case. Once you arrive at your destination your gun won't be at the baggage claim, it will be at your airlines baggage office and you'll have to wait for it there. You'll have to show your drivers license and get it and go! It usually does have zip ties all around it as one guy said.
Carrying your meat and beard/spurs back is easy too. I always carry a soft yeti cooler and you can carry it right on the plane.
Safe travels and good luck!

joey46

Picking the gun case up in Delta's baggage office is described in their written guidelines. Southwest does this also.
Btw - anyone that actually bothers to read Delta's printed guidelines will notice the instructions for the locks required is highlighted so it can't be easily overlooked  ::)

bwall3220

hipp2412

So my best friends told me to call them before I arrive at the Harrisburg airport and just have my shotgun slung on my shoulder when I arrive. They said they wanted to watch the news when I arrived..LOL  good friends huh? 
Hipp

joey46

See what you started hipp.  If I hadn't seen this on multiple forums  for dozens of years I would have a hard time believing the misinformation that is posted on this topic.  Read the airlines web site and Contract of Carriage.  Read the TSA guidelines.  Allow an extra hour and have an enjoyable trip.  Remember if it isn't written it is worthless. It doesn't matter what "Betty Sue" tells you over the phone.  If it's written it's gospel.  If it isn't written it is someone's opinion.

hipp2412

I see the trouble I have started and Im a new guy!!  dang it...  Well you know there's the "letter of the law and then there's the spirit of the law".  I just wanted to get the consensus from guys and gals that fly with their hunting rig. I feel more confident getting through with no issues because of you folks that responded..
Hipp

hipp2412

So I made the trip to Florida. Going down no problem at all. Coming back I forgot to take my ammo out of my turkey vest. My gun was checked in with no problem. We go through the security checkpoint and they pull my wife aside and they patted her down and checked her hands for explosive residue. I couldnt stop laughing, she was so embarrassed. So we get on our way and as soon as we get to the gate we both get paged to go back to the ticket counter. The lady said they found three shotgun shells in my checked bag. She gave them to me and told me that I needed to turn them into a LEO. The LEO took them. Unfortunately they were 3 rounds of Fed TSS.$$$ So we head back up to the security check point and they pulled my wife aside and checked her all over again. LOL.  So it was my dumb mistake for having the rounds in my checked bag. But I did get an Osceola and thats the main thing. If my wife went to jail it still would have been a great trip!! LOL  Oh goodness the look on her face, Priceless.   Thank you Osceola Dreams for getting me a bird. 
Hipp

hipp2412

Hipp