turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

flying with my shotgun and ammo

Started by hipp2412, March 29, 2023, 09:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hipp2412

I will be flying with a firearm for the first time. I understand needing the hard case and locks for every lock hole but I'm still not sure about the ammo. Can I keep a box of turkey loads in the same case as the shotgun, And in the original box ? or Do I need to keep the ammo separate from the gun in another locked box?
Thanks
Hipp
Hipp

Sir-diealot

Bud your smartest move would be to call the airline you are flying with, every airline is different and may have different rules.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Notsoyoungturk

I have flow with a gun but no ammo.  I don't think you have to have a lock in every hole.  I flew with 2 locks and 4 holes.  Here is what the TSA website says:

Firearms

When traveling, comply with the laws concerning possession of firearms as they vary by local, state and international governments.

If you are traveling internationally with a firearm in checked baggage, please check the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information and requirements prior to travel.

Declare each firearm each time you present it for transport as checked baggage. Ask your airline about limitations or fees that may apply.

Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. For civil enforcement purposes, TSA also considers a firearm to be loaded when both the firearm and ammunition are accessible to the passenger. For example, if an individual has a firearm in accessible baggage and ammunition in his/her pocket, or any combination where the individual has access to both, the firearm is considered "loaded" for purposes of assessing a civil penalty. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

Bringing  an unloaded firearm with accessible ammunition to the security checkpoint carries the same civil penalty/fine as bringing a loaded firearm to the checkpoint. You may find information on civil penalties at the Civil Enforcement page.

Firearm parts, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.

Replica firearms, including firearm replicas that are toys, may be transported in checked baggage only.

Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage.

Ammunition

Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).

Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.

Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.

Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

hipp2412

Well there's what I was looking for. Thank you Notsoyoungturk
Hipp

Magdump

I fly with firearms all the time and these days, to be safe (to help eliminate the chance, whatever airline helper and TSA person you get, that they require you to leave your ammo behind), it is a very good idea to bring your ammo packed in a factory box.  The ammo does not need to match the box.

Good luck !

TurkeyReaper69

You can have ammo in same case as gun. Have ammo in original box

joey46

Whew!  Here we go again.  Every airline will have a web site and flying with firearms/ammunition fully explained. TSA will also (see post 2).  Not a hard process but may take some extra time so allow for that.  Last May I flew from Tampa (in a very "red" state) to Denver ( in a now very "blue state) without problems.  My 870 and a box of Apex TSS was in a well locked sturdy case.  The locks were NOT TSA locks and I kept the keys.  TSA x rayed the case in both locals but never opened it.  I stayed in the screening area until given a thumps up.  EZPZ.  If this thread evolves half of what will be posted will be wrong.  Good luck and have a great hunt.

silent tom

A lock for every hole just to be safe.
Ammo in some sort of secure box whether that's a factory box or one of the plastic boxes handloaders use. 

PalmettoRon

TSA does NOT perform their routine in a standard fashion from airport to airport. The airlines do NOT have the same standards and the individuals working at check in for the same airline and even at the same airport do NOT perform their task in a standard fashion.

I've flown with firearms and ammunition dozens and dozens of times.

The safest bet is indeed to attach a lock to every place on your hard case that has a hole to lock. I had a buddy that almost missed his flight as he had to go to the gift shop and buy some cheap locks to lock his 4 hole Pelican case.

I've brought my Pelican locked sometimes with two locks and then was told I needed 4 locks. I had 2 inside the case and placed them on the case smiling at the airline worker who thought they had me in a bind.

I personally put my ammo in the original box in my other check in bag although it should not matter. It's legit to place the ammo in it's original box inside the locked gun case, but again I've seen individual airline workers create a ruckus over this. You definitely have to check it and not bring it on board.

It's even kosher to place the ammo in a hard ammo case instead of the flimsy paper original box, but I have had push back on this too from some airline workers.

Since unfortunately TSA does their thing differently at almost every airport I've been to and the airline employees as a whole often don't know their own airline rules and occasionally there are anti gun and/or antihunter airline workers just looking to make your day difficult, the best course of action is to have a lock for every hole and pack your ammo in another bag in it's original packaging.

Now, doing all that will not prevent someone from insisting that you break open the breech on your muzzleloader at check in. That one took a laughing airport police fellow hunter to resolve.

joey46

Told ya.  Lol.  Allow an extra hour and if paranoid print the airline's printed regulations and any applicable TSA guidelines. A supervisor from either will resolve any misunderstandings. Imo there is/was never a four lock ru!e.  This may have come up when some tried to fly with cheap plastic cases that could be twisted to the point of accessing the edges.  A decent case won't do this.  It is a shame so many are intimated by this simple process and resort to spending their time and dollars driving thousands of wasted miles.

Ranger

Enough locks for any and all holes that are made for locks, ammo goes in same case as gun, and can only be in a manufacturer's original box.  So if you have TSS that's handloaded, get a brand name box and put them in.  Simple as that and that's all there is per TSA which is over all airlines' policy concerning firearms.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

joey46

Don't worry if the printed TSA regs shown in post #2 don't read this way concerning shotgun ammo being only in the original box.  The longer these threads go the more confusing and contradictory they become.  Too bad.  It isn't a tough process.

g8rvet

I have flown both nationally and internationally. 

Lock in every hole.  The point of emphasis that TSA was told to make is that you should not even be able to get a finger inside the case and locking every lock ensures that.  You will not see this published anywhere, but locking 2 or locking 4 only takes a few extra seconds.  I was not stopped from flying but told by the agent (about 5-6 years ago) that I would be in the future. 

Keep published rules in your carry on.

STRONGLY suggest painting your cell phone number on the outside of the case.  It only takes a minute and TSA can then call you if there is a problem.  Has helped me make my flight twice.

Check with airline and state you are flying to.  I have never had more than a mild annoyance and it was in Toronto.  Avoid that airport if you can.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

WV Flopper

I will put it like this.

I value my guns, I have a nice, sturdy case to carry mine in. Buy one! Not some junk 39$ Plano case, spend a few bills a get a quality case. Mine comes back bent in new places every time it flies. Bent, not cracked, not broken, bent.

Read the AIRLINES requirements, read the TSA requirements, they most likely will differ slightly. Pay attention to that and go beyond!

I fly with my ammo in a hard plastic pistol case locked, in side of my metal gun case, locked. I have been nothing but complemented on my packing.

Joey is right, it's not that hard. Just read the airline and TSA regs.

wareagle22

I fly somewhere hunting every year and can tell you that every airline is different.   It doesn't matter what the TSA guidelines are, it's dependent on the person checking you in.   With American and Southwest, you can have your ammo in your gun case as long as it's in a box and not loose.  I always have a lock in every spot available on my case.   This year, I'm flying on Delta so I called to check their regulations.    You CANNOT have your gun and ammo in the same case.   Must be separate and both locked.   They consider it one checked bag so you don't have to pay extra for it.   I would advise calling the airline you are flying and ask them their policy.   In all the years I've travel hunted, I have never had an issue after calling the airline.   I have had cases beat to death during transit and I would also advise not using a cheap case as they do not handle them with care.   I saw sn aluminum gun case at the airport in Denver one year that looked like it fell off the cart and got run over.   It was completely destroyed.