OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WORST State?

Started by bwall3220, March 28, 2023, 12:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dixiemagnum80

Illinois has gone way down hill from what it used to be. River counties don't have near the birds they had 10-15 years ago. Central Illinois is the joke it's always been. Populations have never got any better in the middle of the state since the seasons opened in the mid-90's. I travel out-of-state for this very reason.

paboxcall

Quote from: Happy on March 28, 2023, 05:43:09 PM
I haven't seen many hunters in the last 2 years. Have seen a ton of people running around the woods with guns and at least 3 cameras strapped on their bodies. Talking to themselves as if they think somebody cares. Most of them haven't seen me, which is surprising as it is hard to laugh quietly.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

dzsmith

All places have their challenges . I've been to the highest density turkey county in Texas and didn't kill a bird ... few years ago .over cast, hot, high winds , and zero gobbling turkeys in a wide open 1200 acre mesquite flat. The birds were simply on other properties in the 2.5 days and those flocks do fly the fences . It probably didn't help that 36 had been killed there prior to me showing up...... I don't care "HOW GOOD" you think you are.... When you aren't in the game you just aren't in the game .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Delmar ODonnell

The worst experience I have ever had was in Nebraska, by a lot. While we have the benefit of hindsight, it is incredible how the state marketed and regulated their turkey population into a fraction of what it was. It seemed to me like it became the destination for every person wanting to travel for the first time. Pair that with relatively small acreage WMAs, with a large percentage visible from a road, and it is a recipe for disaster.

Plus it came a destination for every traveling poacher.

In Mississippi, my home state, the public lands are poorly maintained, or rather the local population has no respect for it, riding ATV's and dumping trash like they own the place. Those same people have no semblance of etiquette when it comes to turkey hunting either. But I may be biased.

Zobo

I haven't seen many hunters in the last 2 years. Have seen a ton of people running around the woods with guns and at least 3 cameras strapped on their bodies. Talking to themselves as if they think somebody cares. Most of them haven't seen me, which is surprising as it is hard to laugh quietly.

They're desperately looking for purpose, legitimacy, importance, a soul, to be liked, to prove something to others, mostly strangers.  It didn't happen for them if they can't post it. It's very sad. But I'm getting old so...  But there's no question how unbelievably annoying those people are to anyone who isn't in their circle.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Sanders153

Quote from: runngun on March 28, 2023, 05:35:12 PM
Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma the worst at this point and time.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I can vouch on Oklahoma, especially the eastern half of it.. But our department of conservation needs some serious work as well

Wigsplitter

Louisiana Longbeard

I keep seeing Arkansas mentioned. I have a little lease in Arkansas that I've killed big birds on the last 2 years. I have a couple of nice longbeards on camera there this year also. It's been good to me

quavers59

None of the Northeastern States were mentioned.  I have a bad feeling that an army of Turkey Hunters from the Turkey Declining States in the South and West will travel and descend  like Locusts on Public Areas up here.
    Don't  Camp at the Gates. Good chance you will be checked at Midnight or 1am. Just Saying.

silent tom

Yes sir. I love it. 
I've always wondered what's it's like to walk through the woods, holding a camera in front of your face talking to yourself.   
It's gotta be comical to watch.   

Sir-diealot

Quote from: silent tom on March 29, 2023, 07:44:07 AM
Yes sir. I love it. 
I've always wondered what's it's like to walk through the woods, holding a camera in front of your face talking to yourself.   
It's gotta be comical to watch.

I think they have to learn how to shoot photography better. Funny thing is you would be shocked just how many of the hunting skills go over to being a good photographer in the woods and vise versa. I do not get the talking to themselves part though, I am always right so why would I have to discuss things with myself?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

Qualifying this comment by stating we are talking specifically about public land hunting, I suspect that pretty much every state is getting worse by the year.  Hunter numbers are steadily (or rapidly) increasing, harvest numbers are going up (even with turkey numbers going down), and the turkeys can't successfully reproduce fast enough to keep up.  It all adds up to where we are at nationally. 

However, in answering the direct question, of the states I have personally hunted (and in the public-land areas I have hunted), I would put Oklahoma right at the top of my list,...and maybe Colorado as a close second. 

Yoder409

Ohio has to earn a spot for a $220 non-resident license requirement for ONE spring bird.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Jordan121787

Quote from: Louisiana Longbeard on March 28, 2023, 11:27:38 PM
I keep seeing Arkansas mentioned. I have a little lease in Arkansas that I've killed big birds on the last 2 years. I have a couple of nice longbeards on camera there this year also. It's been good to me
Southern Arkansas private leases aren't the same as central and northern Arkansas Public land.

Happy

Quote from: quavers59 on March 29, 2023, 01:51:50 AM
   None of the Northeastern States were mentioned.  I have a bad feeling that an army of Turkey Hunters from the Turkey Declining States in the South and West will travel and descend  like Locusts on Public Areas up here.
    Don't  Camp at the Gates. Good chance you will be checked at Midnight or 1am. Just Saying.
That's already happened. Word got out a few years ago. Land in Maine and other northeastern states is getting posted at a record rate due to turkey hunter flocking to those states. I have heard rumblings of baglimits and season changes being in the works.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club