turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WORST State?

Started by bwall3220, March 28, 2023, 12:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyReaper69

Nevada, despite being the cool thing to do these days I don't have much desire to go back. Only place I've genuinely felt bad about killing a turkey. They had no where to go. I killed one at roosting time and the rest of the flock just flew into roost above my head due to the fact the next roost site was a mile+ away.

Burtwill

I haven't done a whole lot of traveling but I have visibly seen a change in South Carolina the past 3 years. This year being the worst so far. Our public is just kind of there. Not much management to it. Only a few draw only places are actually managed the rest have nothing. Overgrown forests poor fire practices they are just the states timber investments at this point.

SC values timber over wildlife management.

Prospector

This is Missippi as well. Want to get real mad? Well, apparently what they spray to kill the weeds and undergrowth in the pine plantations also blows over into any residual hardwood and any SMZs the company was considerate enough to leave for " wildlife management" and affects acorn production for up to 8 yrs.....????
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

phutch30

I havent run into a bad state yet out of 19...but I guess OK is my toughest. Ive been there 2x and haven't killed a bird yet. Both times I was trying to kill a Rio with my bow and could have easily killed with a shotgun, so its not really a fair rating.  Gunna try to knock it off the list next spring with the shotgun so we will see if the curse is real

Sir-diealot

Quote from: phutch30 on March 29, 2023, 01:29:36 PM
I havent run into a bad state yet out of 19...but I guess OK is my toughest. Ive been there 2x and haven't killed a bird yet. Both times I was trying to kill a Rio with my bow and could have easily killed with a shotgun, so its not really a fair rating.  Gunna try to knock it off the list next spring with the shotgun so we will see if the curse is real
I was supposed to hunt OK in 2020 but Covid hit and it fell apart. I was going to try to get a Rio as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gooserbat

Quote from: runngun on March 28, 2023, 05:35:12 PM
Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma the worst at this point and time.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

This could be true and I'm hunting all three this year
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

SDK

Coastal Oregon was really hard to hunt but I hesitate to lump it in here. I lived there for two years a bit over a decade ago.

Chilly dampness/constantly being soaking wet, thick undergrowth, no flat ground and you are lucky to be able to see 10 feet in any given spot. That coupled with vast distances and animals at a very low density makes even getting eyes on anything very difficult.

Having said that, the sheer beauty of the place and my fly rod strapped to my back made up for a lot of miles walked.....

Rtr1987

Quote from: roberthyman14 on March 28, 2023, 05:36:09 PM
Florida is really bad.  Tons of hunters. Especially 1st 2 weeks. All out of towners with 0 woods etiquette.  Then they leave here and go hunt Alabama next. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
This right here. Seems to be the natural progression every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dzsmith

Quote from: quavers59 on March 29, 2023, 01:51:50 AM
   None of the Northeastern States were mentioned.  I have a bad feeling that an army of Turkey Hunters from the Turkey Declining States in the South and West will travel and descend  like Locusts on Public Areas up here.
    Don't  Camp at the Gates. Good chance you will be checked at Midnight or 1am. Just Saying.
is it illegal to do so there?
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

afhunter1

My worst was OH last year.    We have killed birds in OH every year until last year.   We heard one gobble then 10 min later a BANG and that was only bird seen or heard in first three days of season. This was a very large track of public and there is always people but last year it was so comical watching all the truck hunters driving around.   I'd say pressure was 10X normal.   The crazy thing is we always see turkeys everywhere on private out the there and we didn't see a single bird on private either in the 3 days.  I fear a disease issue out there.  I also hunt PA, MD, and WV.

deathfoot

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 29, 2023, 10:54:07 AM
Nevada, despite being the cool thing to do these days I don't have much desire to go back. Only place I've genuinely felt bad about killing a turkey. They had no where to go. I killed one at roosting time and the rest of the flock just flew into roost above my head due to the fact the next roost site was a mile+ away.

No offense. But this why I'm a proponent of shooting hours closing around 6 or earlier. I just can't sit beside a roost area and wait. That's just me tho.

deathfoot

I've thought about this after posting Alaska. I gotta say...Texas. Hot, dry, snakes and feeders. I couldn't stand it. Only way to kill one was to sit nearby a feeder. Ought to be illegal. But it's all about the money. I'm glad I went once and got it out of the way. I won't be back to Texas for anything actually. Also, gotta add it was a dry county. I didn't even know those still exist. That should also be illegal. Sorry Texans, but I didn't even see a good looking woman. ????

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: deathfoot on March 29, 2023, 08:15:17 PM
I've thought about this after posting Alaska. I gotta say...Texas. Hot, dry, snakes and feeders. I couldn't stand it. Only way to kill one was to sit nearby a feeder. Ought to be illegal. But it's all about the money. I'm glad I went once and got it out of the way. I won't be back to Texas for anything actually. Also, gotta add it was a dry county. I didn't even know those still exist. That should also be illegal. Sorry Texans, but I didn't even see a good looking woman. ????
Texan here agreeing. Those folks hunting spending X amount of money to kill a Rio next to a feeder would be lost for words hunting an Eastern here in ETX.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: deathfoot on March 29, 2023, 07:39:01 PM
Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 29, 2023, 10:54:07 AM

No offense. But this why I'm a proponent of shooting hours closing around 6 or earlier. I just can't sit beside a roost area and wait. That's just me tho.
Most who've hunted where I did in NV would say the same thing I did.  If you didn't kill at fly down or fly up you were pretty much SOL. I haven't hunted many other places where my approach would be to sit under a roost tree, but you gotta do what you gotta do in Nevada.

Cottonmouth

Most "turkey hunters" in Mississippi hung over a corn feeder now to post a kill pic on Facebook now. It's getting sad now.