OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Collapsible Decoy

Started by redwad, March 11, 2023, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redwad

Any recommendations on a collapsible decoy. I currently use a DSD upright hen but would like a smaller profile if there's something realistic. Thanks in advance.

kayl

They don't seem to be very well received, but I think the primos photoforms are pretty nice. They fold really well and do fine unless you've got a lot of wind...but I'm a newbie!

mudhen

They are all pretty bad to look at, but it's not human eyes that matter...

I got a three-pack of Photo-Form for $30, look ok, but I still don't really like them, hoping to find a way to get all the folds and wrinkles out...

Needed the jake for travel hunts though...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

krm944

Quote from: mudhen on March 11, 2023, 05:04:10 PM
They are all pretty bad to look at, but it's not human eyes that matter...

I got a three-pack of Photo-Form for $30, look ok, but I still don't really like them, hoping to find a way to get all the folds and wrinkles out...

Needed the jake for travel hunts though...

I have one too. Going to try and put it in the sun. If that doesn't work I was thinking about a beach ball from the dollar store to "inflate" it

wyetterp

The montana purrfect pair has worked well for me for years now. They may not look the best but are effective. I think there's something to the iridescent & the loose feathers that help it.

The heads & tail stay in whatever posture you want them. I typically put some leaves around the stake to hide that part.

I've had several hens hang out for long periods around them & have always stayed really calm. The jakes always get super excited & the tom's tend to show off from far away to right up on 'em.

The packability is unbeatable.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

squidd

I picked up two Primos Photoform Hen Turkey Decoys at the end of season last year for around $10 each and really liking them.

Have already had turkeys in the decoys, so I'd say they work.

Only negative is one-piece stake which barely fits in the backpack.

I typically pack a funky chicken as well.

Tca126

Matt76cmich

Avian X LCD decoys collapse.  I have one of the Jake decoys, but haven't ever used it in the field.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mudhen

My AX LCR jake collapsed!  Permanently!
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

TurkeyReaper69

I'm not a decoy guy but I've heard good things about the Montana decoys

Tom007

Quote from: Tca126 on March 11, 2023, 07:43:52 PM
Primos Photoform

X10, I only use decoys on very rainy days in the open fields.....

Greg Massey

Don't laugh but my first decoys were cut thin plywood silhouettes. We would paint one solid black and the other one with white and red paint and we fooled several gobblers with this homemade decoys. Then came along the Primos feather flex decoys that the paint would peel off, but man this was a major setup from those wood silhouettes. Then we got the improved version of the feather flex decoy and many , many gobblers have been killed using these decoys.. So if i was just wanting something to carry that is light weight i would get another better and improved feather flex decoy from Primos.

kayl

Quote from: squidd on March 11, 2023, 06:54:24 PM
I picked up two Primos Photoform Hen Turkey Decoys at the end of season last year for around $10 each and really liking them.

Have already had turkeys in the decoys, so I'd say they work.

Only negative is one-piece stake which barely fits in the backpack.

I typically pack a funky chicken as well.

That's what I'm trying this year. 2 photoform hens and a funky chicken.

squidd

One setup used last week

Tail Feathers

I have a photo form hen and jake. I don't use them often but they are easy to carry. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!