OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Collapsible Decoy

Started by redwad, March 11, 2023, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wchadw

Quote from: wyetterp on March 11, 2023, 05:44:15 PM
The montana purrfect pair has worked well for me for years now. They may not look the best but are effective. I think there's something to the iridescent & the loose feathers that help it.

The heads & tail stay in whatever posture you want them. I typically put some leaves around the stake to hide that part.

I've had several hens hang out for long periods around them & have always stayed really calm. The jakes always get super excited & the tom's tend to show off from far away to right up on 'em.

The packability is unbeatable.
I have these. I really wish they would put a better looking head on them. Don't think it would hurt the packability that much. I have had these decoys spook more than one bird when they got too close to them.
I thought about cutting the head off another decoy and gluing it on instead of the soft cloth head on the Montana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runngun

I don't use a decoy, but I hunted with a guy from Arkansas who used a black shopping bag on a stake. And he had killed a lot of turkeys.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Greg Massey

When i see the need i use a decoy. Especially if I'm hunting large fields, and big open areas. Some of the best shows are watching how turkeys react with a decoy. You hunt the way you want and enjoy your day in the outdoors. You have to love those beautiful sunrises and what a day of turkey hunting has to offer regardless. Using decoys or not that's your choice. IMO ...  I use a blind also for those days that are rainy as a back up plan and i still get to enjoy these bad weather days hunting.

wyetterp

Quote from: wchadw on March 12, 2023, 08:06:38 PM
Quote from: wyetterp on March 11, 2023, 05:44:15 PM
The montana purrfect pair has worked well for me for years now. They may not look the best but are effective. I think there's something to the iridescent & the loose feathers that help it.

The heads & tail stay in whatever posture you want them. I typically put some leaves around the stake to hide that part.

I've had several hens hang out for long periods around them & have always stayed really calm. The jakes always get super excited & the tom's tend to show off from far away to right up on 'em.

The packability is unbeatable.
I have these. I really wish they would put a better looking head on them. Don't think it would hurt the packability that much. I have had these decoys spook more than one bird when they got too close to them.
I thought about cutting the head off another decoy and gluing it on instead of the soft cloth head on the Montana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that stinks. The only time I've had any issues was from what I perceived to be a lack of motion. I don't strap mine down any more. I want a little motion in them from the slightest breeze. If the wind picks up I position the tail to keep it from spinning. Never had em spook since.

If you think it's the head, your idea of diy head replacement sounds like a great idea. Lol, the frankentana decoy. Love it. Please post up pics if you do. It actually sounds like it could easily be done with them. It's just a pliable wire coil in there. You may be on to something. 

I rarely use a decoy though & not usually one to hunt from a blind or open agro fields.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

jhoward11

Ok, if we are just talking something light weight or collapsible, their probably not going to look as realistic as say a DSD/Avian. So what I did is buy a cheap foam decoy and then bought a skin wrap from I believe was A-way?? It's barely a pound all together and pretty real looking. Great for running and gunning, if you only want a hen! As far as a Jake, I bite the bullet and take a DSD Jake along. Most of the time the one hen will do the job without the Jake.