OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which game ear

Started by strum, March 02, 2023, 10:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

I stand corrected it is not Sport Ears I bought it was Wild Ears. I purchased them in 2016. I had to send one back after I received them because switch was installed wrong. On one side the ear bud will not retain the wax guard but never really noticed it. But they have worked very well. The original company has been bought out by CavCom in 2021.
I made a call to customer service today and had a conversation about this with a nice young lady. I have to buy a warranty for 110 bucks to get it fixed. Not real happy about that but at least new owners will work with me. I also told her the original manufacturing was  disappointing  for a 1100 dollar purchase but I realize it is out of their hands. I will use them for the season then return to have repaired is what we agreed on. I will post how it goes. Good day.  :newmascot:

strum

I decided this morn wearing the aids into the woods before daylight I'm a lot quieter and stealthy without them in.

sixbird

Quote from: Sixes on March 07, 2023, 10:57:25 PM
For you guys that have the Tetras, are they available in single ears?

My hearing loss is in my left ear, I take yearly audiological tests yearly for work and receive the results and the hearing in my right ear is above average for my age (52) but my left ear is pitiful. Shooter's ear. 

Ive tried Walkers Gameear, Walker's muffs, Howard Leights, and a couple of off brands and the Walker's  Gameear is the only one that I have had partial success with.  It definitely enhances sounds, but I cannot for the life of me tell what direction a noise comes from.

If I hear a turkey gobble or a deer walking, it is always 45-90 degrees further to the left than what is registering in my brain. I've just dealt with it the last few years and not worn anything, but I would buy something that would work. But, in reality, I only need something for my left ear.

If they are only available in pairs, are they individually set for each ear? That was the problem with the Leights, they enhanced both ears and my right ear was still a lot more dominate and caused me to have problems pinpointing the sounds.

The Walker Gameear worked the best for me because I only used it in my left ear
Before I got outrageously expensive hearing aids, I bought two Walkers game Ears and they did the job. Previously unheard sounds were pretty clear, actually REALLY clear.
The problem I had for years was directional hearing with them.
Since one ear is WAY worse than the other, turkeys would always sound like they were coming from the direction of the better ear.
What I discovered after years of using them is, if I turned the volume up to max on the worst ear

Try turning the aid down some. You can test by closing your eyes and snapping your fingers left and right until you can track the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Quote from: ncwoodsman on April 19, 2023, 02:41:32 PM
I would like to mention something regarding the Tetra turkey amp pods. This season is my first season using them and I can truly say they are awesome hearing devices but I didn't read the fine print below listed on there website which is on me. DO NOT think they are going to block the blast of a shotgun, ask me how I know. My ears have been ringing for several days since I shot with them in. Hopefully this will save someone else from going through what I am right now.

AmpPods suppress the volume of the gunshot significantly compared to an open ear. However, because AmpPods do not create a total and tight seal in the ear, they are not designed as hearing protection devices.
Hate to hear the shot still rings.  These short barreled shotguns are convenient for carry and but they do put the blast closer to your ear.  I got my amp pods in yesterday.  I tested them briefly outside and they do seem to help hear more birds and siuch.  They didn't seem to amplify the wind like my electronic muffs and they don't seem as "harsh" sounding as my hearing aids.  I can't wait to hear turkey with them tomorrow on our opener.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tail Feathers

Ok guys, three long mornings with the Tetras and here is my initial review.

I got the turkey amp pods, the + version the call the 90.  The have turkey, turkey boost and turkey magnum mode.
Quick background...I wear hearing aids, my hearing is about half gone.  Thru experience with hunting with others, I rarely hear a bird over 200 yards away, especially in thick woods.

I didn't have much testing time as I got them two days before season opened.  I tested them at home for five minutes outside before hitting the turkey woods with them.  I had my 14 year old grandson with me for days one and two this year.  He has proven to me in the past he can hear gobbles far further than I could, or probably many adults.  Pretty much every gobble he heard this weekend, I heard too.  He heard a handful that I didn't, but I suspect a couple of those were distant crows and his optimism.   :D
I wear hearing aids, but don't like them.  They make everything sound harsh and rather unnatural, although they help me hear better. 
These amp pods sound far superior in the woods.  Sounds are natural.  Voices are close to natural.  Birds, gobbles and normal woods sounds sound natural.  I have been using Howard Leight electronic muffs and turning them all the way up.  That works, but ranging and pinpointing the gobble was somewhat difficult.  And they weigh a fair amount.
These amp pods allow me to hear gobbles far further than I had before, probably every bit as far as the muffs.  They don't amplify wind any more than the natural ear.  We had a front blow in, high winds and swaying wind and I was impressed with how the amp pods kept everything sounding natural.  With muffs, the wind is amplified along with everything else, you can't hear anything but wind when it's whipping.  These are far superior in that regard.
The have general use setting for talking and such.  I did notice that when my grandson whispered to me, I still had difficulty understanding him.  Oh, these are comfortable, moreso than my hearing aids I think.
In summary, the amp pods seem to do what they say they will.  I can't speak to durability, but we got caught in some light rain and they held up fine.  I've worn them on three hunts now, about 18 hours total and they definitely help me hear gobbles and things in the woods I would never hear without them.  And my expensive hearing aids can't tough them for that purpose.
The people at Tetra are friendly and helpful.  Oh, and they offer a nice discount for active and retired vets and peace officers.   :icon_thumright:

Old Timer

Quote from: strum on April 21, 2023, 02:22:58 PM
I decided this morn wearing the aids into the woods before daylight I'm a lot quieter and stealthy without them in.
Thats because you cannot hear your moves with them not in causing you to think your stealthy. With them in you hear everything making you think your being clumsy. It takes a good season to get use to them. But make sure you wear them after your set up. Smart investment. Good luck.

Tail Feathers

Yeh, I'm MUCH more stealthy without my hearing aids. :TooFunny:

strum

Quote from: Old Timer on April 24, 2023, 07:20:46 PM
Quote from: strum on April 21, 2023, 02:22:58 PM
Thats because you cannot hear your moves with them not in causing you to think your stealthy. With them in you hear everything making you think your being clumsy. It takes a good season to get use to them. But make sure you wear them after your set up. Smart investment. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice but I was making a joke pointing out that I dont hear the leaves crunching to well without them in .

JeffC

Thanks for update TF, still need to know if they will pick up drumming??
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tail Feathers

I will let you know.  I have rarely heard drumming that I'm sure of so that may be hard to pin down. 

ncwoodsman

Quote from: JeffC on April 25, 2023, 08:14:13 AM
Thanks for update TF, still need to know if they will pick up drumming??

They will absolutely pick up drumming sounds. The bird I shot in the early morning I heard drumming before I ever saw him due to thick fog in the field.

JeffC

Thank you ncwoodsman, would hate to spend money on something that wont help where I need help.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

ncwoodsman

Quote from: JeffC on April 25, 2023, 03:37:27 PM
Thank you ncwoodsman, would hate to spend money on something that wont help where I need help.
[/qu

I totally agree. My hearing loss issues are with high pitch sounds so I can hear bass like sounds very well. Might be worth giving them a call and discussing what you are looking for.

wchadw

Quote from: strum on March 02, 2023, 01:38:28 PM
I visited their site on your recommendations.  I don't have any of the HSA so I'd have to pay straight up.  I did the hearing test per their instructions . waiting to hear back from them. I was really looking into something like the walker razor  xv3.0  or the around the or the rope hearing enhancer.
This tetra stuff is very pricey. May be more than I'm ready to spend and yet they do look pretty promising.
Tetra priced me out. I figured I would lose them in a year or two
I have walkers. Can buy 10 walkers for what tetra is charging
Wind noise is annoying but I usually wear just one to try to catch distant gobbles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

As far as pricing, yeh they are high.  I was very hesitant but my wife told me if it helped keep me doing what I am passionate about, buy them.  Their cost is not as big as what I spend on turkey travels each year, and if they help keep me in the game they are worth it.  So far, they are doing what I wanted them to do.