OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which game ear

Started by strum, March 02, 2023, 10:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

Not sure how the wind will do but they are suppose to be tuned for minimum wind noise. I started out with them way too loud so everything was freaking me out lol. I haven't shot a gun with them yet but I did pop some of those packing pillows. They suppressed that noise perfectly.

Old Timer

Quote from: strum on April 08, 2023, 01:17:32 AM
Not sure how the wind will do but they are suppose to be tuned for minimum wind noise. I started out with them way too loud so everything was freaking me out lol. I haven't shot a gun with them yet but I did pop some of those packing pillows. They suppressed that noise perfectly.
I have the Wild Ears for about 5 years now and they have served me well. It took some time to get settled in with them. As you I had them way to high i could here my feet crunching as I walked. Real game changer for me. I was calling birds in but would not hear them until they were close. One drawback is wind noise at times but overall I`m satisfied. One thing I would like to point out to everybody is I have had guys say I do not need hearing protection I only take a shot now and them. Biologically your doing damage to your hearing every time you pull the trigger. I`m fortunate to have some hearing left. Good move to protect those ears. Good day.

Paulmyr

My dad bought some hearing aid / protection for shooting trap a few years back. After he quit shooting he quit wearing them because he said the birds chirping was driving him nuts. Said he hadn't heard them in years. He can still hear a gobble a good ways off but not nearly as far as I can hear them. To each their own I guess.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

JeffC

Following along, some issues with sound direction but really have a hard time hearing drumming, had a Tom 80ish yds off back of house, wife heard him before I saw him. Have tinnitus, not real bad, but interested to hear if these things would be helped with the Tetra's? 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

rifleman

Jeff,  The Howard Leights are affordable and they do work for me.  I have hearing loss plus tinnutis (sp).

TBoo

Following this also!  It sounds like I am in the same boat as others with hearing loss in one ear.  Have tried the Razer's and like others have said, no way I could tell directionality. As much as I need these for hunting deer and turkey, I need them for everyday use.  My insurance covers all kinds of glasses but no hearing assistance.  ??? Do you all wear these all the time, or just hunting/shooting?  Happy Easter everyone and can't wait to hear more about these. 

Old Timer

Quote from: TBoo on April 09, 2023, 08:27:45 AM
Following this also!  It sounds like I am in the same boat as others with hearing loss in one ear.  Have tried the Razer's and like others have said, no way I could tell directionality. As much as I need these for hunting deer and turkey, I need them for everyday use.  My insurance covers all kinds of glasses but no hearing assistance.  ??? Do you all wear these all the time, or just hunting/shooting?  Happy Easter everyone and can't wait to hear more about these.
I have hearing aids for everyday use. And use sport ears for the field. Also use the Howard
l for the range. Funny deal is before I did anything about my hearing loss I almost got myself in a couple of confrontations misunderstanding folks!  :boon:

strum

I did a post about a bird that I called in and dint get a shot on . That bird I heard walking just over the ridge.  I would not have heard him with out the Tetras. 
I didnt get the bird but thats another story lol.
so far super happy with ear helpers (my new name for them)

strum

Ok I pulled the trigger on one yesterday. The shot was dampened to a very muffled thud. no hurt ear. that alone was worth the money to me guys.
  So yall know I'm not pushing sales here but I got to say I should have gotten these a long time ago. I wont be hunting with out them.
As an example. sitting on my back porch I can hear this bird whistling very loudly. I can see him plainly on a limb maybe 40 yards away. Took out the Tetras. and I can see him calling but cant hear a sound.

JeffC

Still interested in low frequency, Tom drumming?

TBoo

strum and those others that have these.  Do you wear them for everyday use and hearing enhancement, or only for the range and hunting? 

strum

Jeff I dont know about the drumming yet.  I do know for me I have more high and mid loss so they are tuned for my loss.
As an example I can hear a dove a mile off but cant hear a tweedy bird sitting on my shoulder. So drumming hasn't really been an issue for me
TBoo I have not tried them for every day use but im sure they would work. Just around the house ive worn them and everything is better. im not sure they would be the proper replacement for hearing aids but they certainly would work . I know I can understand my wife and the tv much better with them in .

JeffC

So i can get them tuned to BLOCK my wife's voice and still hear a turkey at 300 yds.. ;D. Tetras site says turkey sounds, but nothing really list what turkeys sounds they enhance?? Please keep me up dated strum, really interested to see and HEAR how much better they help. Good luck this season

Tail Feathers

I just ordered the turkey amp pods upgraded version.  I hope they get here in time.  Season opens Sat. and I head out for a hunt on May 01. 

The customer service is very good with the company, at least through the buying process.  I will review them when I have used them a bit n
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ncwoodsman

I would like to mention something regarding the Tetra turkey amp pods. This season is my first season using them and I can truly say they are awesome hearing devices but I didn't read the fine print below listed on there website which is on me. DO NOT think they are going to block the blast of a shotgun, ask me how I know. My ears have been ringing for several days since I shot with them in. Hopefully this will save someone else from going through what I am right now.

AmpPods suppress the volume of the gunshot significantly compared to an open ear. However, because AmpPods do not create a total and tight seal in the ear, they are not designed as hearing protection devices.