OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which game ear

Started by strum, March 02, 2023, 10:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

Guys as bad as I hate to admit it . I'm getting old and hearing is suffering .   
   Im trying to take care of what i have left and need some advise.
  Year before last I shot a gobbler while sitting against an oak and the blast all but deafened my right ear for a few weeks.
  Most of the time that dont happen but it must a have been a perfect storm for that ear position.
Any way I need something to help out with hearing and of course protection.
  Thanks in advance

ChesterCopperpot

Tetra is leaps and bounds above any other option but they are high. One thing, though, is that if you have an HSA (health savings account) these are actually covered, meaning you could use pretax income to purchase. If you do that the out of pocket price is comparable to any of the other options and they're a much better product. If they're still too expensive, the Walker Pro Elites are also quite good in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mallard1897

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 02, 2023, 10:43:12 AM
Tetra is leaps and bounds above any other option but they are high. One thing, though, is that if you have an HSA (health savings account) these are actually covered, meaning you could use pretax income to purchase. If you do that the out of pocket price is comparable to any of the other options and they're a much better product. If they're still too expensive, the Walker Pro Elites are also quite good in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was considering the alpha shields for waterfowler hunting mainly for protection. More importantly, especial for turkey hunting, is that they allow you to hear the birds and also your calling. Heard a few podcasts with the owners about the technology and they seem legit.

Been contemplating using the HSA on them for a few years now. Hopefully I make the decision before I have no hearing left....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

strum

I visited their site on your recommendations.  I don't have any of the HSA so I'd have to pay straight up.  I did the hearing test per their instructions . waiting to hear back from them. I was really looking into something like the walker razor  xv3.0  or the around the or the rope hearing enhancer.
This tetra stuff is very pricey. May be more than I'm ready to spend and yet they do look pretty promising.

jhoward11

Do these fit into your ear canal or behind the ear? My buddy has a hard time hearing and he said that the ones that go behind the ear work, but it's hard to tell which direction the gobble came from.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: strum on March 02, 2023, 01:38:28 PM
I visited their site on your recommendations.  I don't have any of the HSA so I'd have to pay straight up.  I did the hearing test per their instructions . waiting to hear back from them. I was really looking into something like the walker razor  xv3.0  or the around the or the rope hearing enhancer.
This tetra stuff is very pricey. May be more than I'm ready to spend and yet they do look pretty promising.
I use the Howard Leight muffs.  I put some gell pads on them and they are much more comforable with those.  I wear hearing aids, but found out hunting with a buddy that I still can't hear a bird gobble at 200 yards  They amplify, you can tell direction pretty good and they block the shot sound. 
I may look into Tetra, but this is the best cheap option I've found.  Sure wish I had protected my hearing many years back.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

RH1

Quote from: jhoward11 on March 02, 2023, 02:29:07 PM
Do these fit into your ear canal or behind the ear? My buddy has a hard time hearing and he said that the ones that go behind the ear work, but it's hard to tell which direction the gobble came from.
That's always been my gripe with most of the hearing "aids". What I can tell you is, any device regardless of cost will be this way...UNTIL you wear them enough so your brain reprograms itself with the enhanced sounds. Seriously, thats the way it began with my $5000 resounds!
Red Hills Turkey Calls

g8rvet

I can still hear the birds pretty well, but direction is becoming an issue.  I guess I can walk and see if it gets louder or softer.   :lol:    When I wear my Walker Ear muffs for shooting, I realize how many sounds I am missing. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Cowboy

Tetra is the one I've been hearing people rave about lately. 

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Mallard1897

Quote from: jhoward11 on March 02, 2023, 02:29:07 PM
They are in ear. They have unmolded and molded plugs. Molded being more expensive and requires a trip to the audiologist to make molds to send to tetra. If I'm gunna spend that much I'm probably going to go all out and get the molded ones that are programmable. You can gear them towards specific hunting (turkey, waterfowl, deer, etc.) or you can get programmable ones for even more money. I'd likely get the waterfowl ones as that is the majority of my unprotected shooting and just go without for turkey but I know every shot is more potential hearing loss.

As long as I can hear them gobble still and in what direction I'm happy. Having watched my father's hearing get progressively worse over the years in the woods really drives home the point. You don't get it back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nathan_Wiles

I have the custom ones from Tetra, I had no idea how much I wasn't hearing in the outdoors. They're expensive compared to shooting muffs, but they're a bargain compared to hearing aids with the same features. Plus, they tune them for your hearing loss. Great folks to deal with, I have had zero issues with mine. This will be my 3rd season.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

strum

Quote from: Nathan_Wiles on March 02, 2023, 09:43:17 PM
I have the custom ones from Tetra, I had no idea how much I wasn't hearing in the outdoors. They're expensive compared to shooting muffs, but they're a bargain compared to hearing aids with the same features. Plus, they tune them for your hearing loss. Great folks to deal with, I have had zero issues with mine. This will be my 3rd season.

I talked with the guy at Tetra this evening and he was a lot of help. Im glad to hear you like yours. when you say custom are you talking the amp pods ?
Instead of using their on line hearing test Im going to an audiologist to get an accurate test since its been like 30 years . Then ill decide which Tetra unit .
The base Amp Pods are $849 + tax and shipping . 

Nathan_Wiles

Strum,
I have the custom shields with the specific species/ activity programs. I went to a local audiologist for the ear molds, and the cost was less than $50.
I use mine year round, deer, turkey, duck hunting, and shooting. I believe they've added some other options now.
I think the cost for the custom shields was 2500ish.
I looked at hearing aids with gunshot decibel reduction/ cutoff; there were 2 brands, I think, and they were both gonna be around $9000.

In the first turkey season, I used mine. I realized that I hadn't been able to hear turkeys past 150-250 yards. By the time I could hear them gobble, I was basically on top of them. My ears had been a great hindrance to my enjoyment of turkey hunting for a while. The Tetra's brought the sounds back. I did not realize all that I was missing. That first morning, listening to everything wake up...wow! It was overwhelming all the sounds.

Big Timber

I purchased the Tetra Multi-Pursuit AlphaShield 90 a few weeks ago and they are going to be a game changer for me.

strum

Ok guys yall suck lol not really but yall dont help me save money .
  I went from looking at $150 walker razers to $2500 Terta  custom shields. 
   May go with the Custom shield option because the fit and features are very appealing.
Funny thig is I told me wife I wasnt going to spend any money on turkey hunting this year . I have everything I need.
Well so far I bought a box call, a wing bone, some diaphragms, and now looking at hearing enhancement.
Thanks yall really know how to spend my money   :funnyturkey: