turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sight Seeing while on the road

Started by blake_08, February 28, 2023, 03:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudhen

We hunt hard, only sightseeing if tagged out...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

jhoward11

Turkeybutt

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 28, 2023, 07:25:07 PM
The only exception for the above is when my wife is with me and tells me we are going to go see that purty sight because she wants to go!  In those cases, I just put my foot down and say,........ 
..."Yes, Dear".   :angel9:
I see by Gobblenuts post that he wears the pants in that relationship and he has his wife's permission to say so!
Gobblenut has his priorities  straight. Happy wife. Happy life!

TurkeyReaper69

As someone who has hunted in a little over 30 states for spring turkey. I can say without a doubt stop and do the sightseeing. What's the rush? Who knows when you'll be back in that area ?

If you ever hunt Hawaii are you planning on strictly turkey hunting or will you take in local sights and eat the local cuisine as well?
If you answered the latter to that, then why would your response be any different in say North Carolina or Missouri?

For awhile I blew by scenic attractions in far away places, but nope not anymore.

We live in a big beautiful country and life is short, we can't do it all but might as well try to.

dzsmith

Unfortunately with the time being a constraining factor, and me being completely alone. It's more like a job than a vacation. I don't sight see much while hunting. Shouldn't be that way... but it is
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Paulmyr

The only sights I plan to see on my trips are on the top of my barrel. There 's plenty of cool things to see while sneaking through the woods. I don't need to dedicate time to go site seeing as they are all around me as soon as step out of the truck.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Zobo

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 28, 2023, 07:25:07 PM
My suggestion would be to discuss it

Really this is all that matters right here. Honest communication and agreement. I'm headed to the Keys with my sons and I wanted to book a full day offshore charter but my sons are less gung-ho, so we settled on half day inshore.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Turkeybutt on March 01, 2023, 03:23:52 AM
You only have one dad so appreciate the time together as you may never get this opportunity again.
Truer words have rarely been spoken. I lost my father two summers back and we never did take that out of state trip we always talked about. His reasoning for not joining me in my travels was the cost even when I would offer to pay, because he could shoot two turkeys in his home state for $20. I'd give any amount of money to be able to bring him back and take those trips right now.

You don't know what the future holds. Soak it up, live in the moment, and praise the Lord for blessing us with each and everyday in the woods he allows.

blake_08

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Dad and I are best friends, been that way my whole life. We've been moving around turkey hunting for years but this will be our furthest venture from home and we are both looking forward to it. I'm 32 and he's 52 and we're both in pretty good shape and I hope and pray, God willing, that we have many more springs together. We're looking forward to the turkey hunting and the site seeing alike. We're going to make time for both and just enjoy it. Good luck to everyone this spring and God bless.

Tail Feathers

Defnitely take some afternoon time to see the sights.  Who knows when, or if, you'll get back that way.  I drove an hour to see Mt. Rushmore a couple of years ago and made a point to visit an historic site with my down time in FL last year.  It's worth missing a nap or two.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

762hunter

Definitely make the sights a priority along the way! Take lots of pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: blake_08 on March 01, 2023, 05:07:24 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Dad and I are best friends, been that way my whole life. We've been moving around turkey hunting for years but this will be our furthest venture from home and we are both looking forward to it. I'm 32 and he's 52 and we're both in pretty good shape and I hope and pray, God willing, that we have many more springs together. We're looking forward to the turkey hunting and the site seeing alike. We're going to make time for both and just enjoy it. Good luck to everyone this spring and God bless.
Oh jeepers, I am old enough to have a 32 year old son? Where's the Geritol and the rocking chair? Man my brain still thinks I am sixteen.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

WV Flopper

To the OP, great question! I am a solo hunter but have a son that doesn't have the desire to hunt as I. He will fish occasionally, we went to NY to hit the Brown trout run a couple years ago. We had a good time and caught some fish, I did not press the issue. We fished at my son's will I should say.

We left our fishing area one evening and rode over to check another spot. After checking it out we returned to our hotel.

About two years later we were talking about the trip and he said he would have liked to seen Niagara Falls. We were within a couple miles and I had never even give it a thought...

Point being, yes, have the discussion. Have an awesome time and enjoy each other. Do what you guys decide to do together.

The reason I had the miss with my son is because I am used to doing business. If I go to hunt, I hunt. If I go to fish, I fish. Only site seeing I have done is seeing a CSI investigation at my motel in Florida and a car rim dinosaur in Oklahoma "Which was really cool". Other wise as stated, my sites are in the woods or water.

Gooserbat

I have a certain cousin whom I turkey hunt with and it's taken 36 hours to make a 10 hour drive more than once
Enjoy your selves because you will never have that time again.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.