OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sight Seeing while on the road

Started by blake_08, February 28, 2023, 03:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

As I am finalizing some plans for the spring, I am torn on a few things. This spring, my dad and I are going to be among several National monuments, Historic places, and other tourist attractions that we likely will never be around again. We're traveling to turkey hunt, but also don't want to waste the opportunity to see some of these things. When going to a new place to hunt, do you take a day or so and see the sites, or is it strictly business until you accomplish what you've gone to accomplish.

I know this is a person to person thing and I know what we'll do, I was just wondering what most of the board says.

Sir-diealot

First off I have never done this but you mention your father going and I wonder what his physical condition may be? If the hunting may get to him bad I would try to remain an hour or two drive from one of the National monuments, Historic places and maybe plan the third or fourth day as a rest day. I am partially disabled so that is a reason I am thinking that way, pain dictates everything for me. That and the photographer in me would want to snap some photos. :D
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

guesswho

It's about the journey, especially with Dad.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spring Creek Calls

My routine is hunt hard until midday, early afternoon. Then it's time to eat and explore. Later, eat some dinner and go roost one for the next morning. Always make your hunts enjoyable whether they be in-state or traveling.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

cwb04

Been within a few miles drive of a couple on a trip SD.  didn't go on purpose - to give me a reason to go back.  I may regret not going when I was there, but I guess only time will tell.  Sure hope to get back up there one day.

deathfoot

Definitely site see.

My first trip to the black hills my wife (at the time) went with me. We took a day to see the sites. I tagged out early and we saw even more sites. But you need to do those things too.

I say that, as most of my hunts are now all hunting and I don't take time to go see stuff. But it's just me, usually. So I hunt. And if I tag out, before moving on, I'll site see.

But you need to plan on a day to do this. It'll be worth it regardless of where you go.

snoman4

IMHO sightseeing on out of state hunts is part of the draw for going on them.  I have enjoyed every out of state hunt I have ever been on, even if the hunting was not particularly good because of the sightseeing and experiences that weren't hunting related.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

Notsoyoungturk

Quote from: guesswho on February 28, 2023, 04:17:21 PM
It's about the journey, especially with Dad.

Big x 2.  Hunting with Dad is fun but take every opportunity to share all you can.  You never know when it will be your last hunt or trip.  I certainly did not know with my dad.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Greg Massey

It's not all about the kill, it's about doing both and making memories that last forever ... IMO ... Enjoy your time with your dad ...

GobbleNut

My suggestion would be to discuss it, set your priorities, and proceed from there, Blake.  If you and your dad are both in agreement that you want to take time to take in some attractions on your trip, allot extra time for that and go for it. 

For me personally, when I go huntin', I am goin' huntin' as my first priority.  That only changes if I have fulfilled my hunting goals and have time for other stuff.  My theory is that I get to turkey hunt roughly a month out of the year.  Doing my guzintas, I think that means I have roughly 11 other months in the year to do the non-huntin' stuff.  I try to "vet" my hunting accomplices from my friends that feel the same way. 

For me, there is nothing more agonizing than being stuck with a I-wanna-see-the-sights buddy somewhere while I am sitting there thinking about being in the turkey woods.  I know for a fact that right at that time, while I am stuck looking at some purty sight, there would be a gobbling, strutting gobbler sprinting towards my calling if I was out in those woods.   :D ::)

The only exception for the above is when my wife is with me and tells me we are going to go see that purty sight because she wants to go!  In those cases, I just put my foot down and say,........ 
..."Yes, Dear".   :angel9:

runngun

Gobblenut Is percent correct!!! Priorities!!!

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Wigsplitter

Hunt hard but enjoy some sights as well!! Enjoy your time together!!

HookedonHooks

Go take care of business and then enjoy the reminder of your trip to do whatever. Plan it long enough you should have no issue doing both, but prioritize what feels right at the time, in the moment.

Zobo

Your not torn, you answered the question when you said you don't want to waste the opportunity and I completely agree with you on that. There's time for the field and monuments too. And remember you've already accomplished something very important by booking the trip. Congratulations on making a good decision to spend time with your father no matter what it might entail.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Turkeybutt

I'd let him decide the itinerary for the trip. Hunt and sight see if that's want he wants to do, and make every opportunity count. You only have one dad so appreciate the time together as you may never get this opportunity again. Like others have stated, "It's not always about the kill but the journey and memories you create".