OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How do you hold your box call?

Started by Paulmyr, February 22, 2023, 09:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Question for everybody that has a shortbox. How do you prefer to hold them. As I'm tuning the calls Im making I tend to grasp the box on the screw end with my thumb on the  left corner of the base and fingers spread along the right side of the base. I  also have a tendency to hold the call almost vertical while playing but change that angle  if I feel I need to change pitch.

Are you guys the about the same? How do you grasp your box call? In the  front(screw side) middle, or back?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Guskie

Gently like baby bird with thumb pad, index, middle, and ring fingers

Greg Massey

Depending on which side of the box I'm playing determine how i hold the call... Also finger pressure on the side of the box if i'm wanting a softer tone / quieter sound / deeper tone... as you play you learn tricks that you like in a time of need ...

TrackeySauresRex

I paddle with the box end holding the lid still. Backwards I guess
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Sir-diealot

Gently as others have said, my most comfortable position is  underhand as opposed to overhand (Call toward my head instead of the ground) just because my hands are messed up I guess and it hurts my hands to hold them down words, though I am practicing that way as well.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

btomlin

My thumb runs along its length on base of side A and my 4 finger tips hold side B with paddle handle toward me.  Paddle is held lightly between thumb and 1st finger.   Cutting is different.  I use my thumb as a stop/pressure guide and hold side A with hand area below thumb.  Right hand pops side of paddle.

Call is held on back end toward paddle handle.

RH1

Nuances to running a box call are infinite...I like the "bird in a hand" reference. I'm a left rail player, looking down at the call with the paddle handle pointed at my belly. From thumb pressure to the sides, to even where you hold the paddle. Pitch is easily changed from hold the paddle end to where the paddle handle shoulders start...really good box calls have literally hundreds of turkeys in em :)
Red Hills Turkey Calls

eddie234

Depends on what I'm trying to achieve. I'll hold the paddle and move the box to work it aggressively or hold the box and move the paddle for gentle sounds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Spitten and drummen

I switch up constantly. Different hen every time you do that. Overhand , underhand upside down. Depending on the sound I want at that particular time.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Paulmyr

Thanks for the reply guys. I get there are nuances to playing a call. Im trying to find out if there is  a general consensus on where you grasp the box for possible comfort reasons in future box call builds. Also if a majority of people grasp the call similarly i better get used to tuning that way as well.

I guess a better way to put it is how does the call sit in your hand and where on the call is your hand.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

HillclimberWV

I too am just learning on making box calls so take this with a grain of salt. But i found out the hard way if you just tune it to the way you play will result in a call that may sound horrible in someone elses hand. Ive started playing my calls while tuning every way i can think to get an idea what it will sound like with different people might play it. This has led me to keep tuning calls that i thought were done.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Paulmyr

I guess I better way to put it is, how does the call sit in your hand and where on the call is your hand?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 22, 2023, 02:25:39 PM
I guess I better way to put it is, how does the call sit in your hand and where on the call is your hand?
Again my answer depends on the boxes... boxes without a handle, box with a handle , hen boxes all have a different style and different way of holding them. Before you were making boxes, do you own a lot of box calls of different varieties from builders? If so you would know people play boxes in so many different ways ... It all depends on the person in my opinion in how they feel confident in playing whatever style ...  Some boxes you run and others you finesse in your playing .. Spring / non spring ...calls ...... Have you ever run one of Roger Parks aluminum lid longboxes or one of his short box style with the aluminum lid, these all have a unique way of holding and playing with the lid ...

paboxcall

Paddle handle facing up, screw end facing down. Being right handed, paddle in right hand, box in left.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Paulmyr

Quote from: paboxcall on February 22, 2023, 03:49:28 PM
Paddle handle facing up, screw end facing down. Being right handed, paddle in right hand, box in left.

Do you hold the box base in the middle or by the ends?