turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How do you hold your box call?

Started by Paulmyr, February 22, 2023, 09:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

Hold the box and use the lid, hit the lid on the box like I am chopping wood!  I usually only use the box call for aggressive cutting for locating birds, add some loud yelps in there too.

By the time I am done with a sequence there should be smoke coming from it!

Rarely carry one anymore.

strum

I think hes not wanting a tutorial on how to play the call . If I'm hearing him right he is thinking about how the call sits in your hand .
Not the lid.
  Possibly working on forming the bottom so that it conforms to the hand profile?

paboxcall

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 22, 2023, 03:55:58 PM
Quote from: paboxcall on February 22, 2023, 03:49:28 PM
Paddle handle facing up, screw end facing down. Being right handed, paddle in right hand, box in left.

Do you hold the box base in the middle or by the ends?

Box is held at the end, the paddle handle end to b clear. I feel I have best control of the box that way. Others' mileage may differ.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Paulmyr

Quote from: strum on February 22, 2023, 05:36:33 PM
I think hes not wanting a tutorial on how to play the call . If I'm hearing him right he is thinking about how the call sits in your hand .
Not the lid.
  Possibly working on forming the bottom so that it conforms to the hand profile?

Possibly that and I seem to notice changes in pitch and vibration depending on where I hold it.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Zobo

I hold it like this

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Howieg

Paddle in left hand , box in right .
Hold up side down , pushing box onto the paddle , pushing box with left to right strokes .
Everyone laughs at my up side down backwards box skills .   But I've yelped up many with my backwardness.

shatcher

Steve Mann and Marlin Watkins have good videos on youtube.  Both credible, outstanding callmakers.

NCL

Hold the box in my left hand with the thumb on the left along the front 1/4 of the box,  four fingers on the right side of the box opposite the the thumb position. Use my right hand to run the paddle.

Greg Massey

A GOOD running box call takes very little hand holding ... if the lid and rails are smooth and not grabbing on each other then you have a good running box that will pretty much run itself with very little holding just mainly using your finger tips.   I will add different combos of boxes they all have a different feel as to how it wants to be played, it's like you have to get to know your call.