turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pinhoti Project Ghost Cut Mouth Calls

Started by bbcoach, February 04, 2023, 08:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

I'm checking to see who has tried Dave Owens (Pinhoti Project) Ghost cut diaphragm calls?  They have 3 different configurations.  I was wondering, if you have tried them, what was your experience and what are the pros and cons of the ones you tried?  I'm really interested in the new Purple, Dave uses this call in many of his videos.

Dtrkyman

I was eyeing them recently, I usually am not a ghost cut guy but I did have that blue and black primos one I found on closeout a while back and that thing was money!  Of course I lost it.

A friend of mine builds calls commercially and makes all of mine so I haven't bought a call in years!

Howie g

I haven't tried Dave's calls yet ,  but I love a ghost cut . Most versatile cut imo .

Kygobblergetter

I love the ghost cut but honestly wasn't a huge fan of Dave's. Have not tried the purple yet. Just couldn't quite get the sound I wanted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwhana

Ditto on the blue.  It's ok, but just not what I like. I think the purple with thinner latex would suit me better.

Cowboy

Used the grey ghost quite a bit last season.  I've never been a big mouth call guy, but I was pleased with this one.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

RiverBuck

Ghosts are all I use. I have all 3 colors. His purple showed up last week. It's nice but none of them make me sound like Dave...

Snood Life

I was underwhelmed by the call, but I am no expert lol. I have also not tried the purple.

aclawrence

Man he can flat run those calls. I've never been able to jive with the ghost cut but I ordered the new purple with the "looser" reeds to give them one more try. I usually use a Raspy Red Reactor.

RND1983

He makes a quality product there's no doubt about it. I have some and can make some good sounds, but I prefer a tighter stretch call over a looser stretch call. The most versatile ghost cut I've found is the Gooserbat OSS. Perfect stretch for me and holds up extremely well. It's my go to for hunting Rios and Merriams because it gives you the consistent ability to produce the high pitch "whit" or "pip" of a Merriam/Rio hen.

If you like batwing cuts, I suggest you try Dave's. He makes a darn good one.

Tom007

Yes, the Grey Ghost is a great diaphragm. They hold up well too.
"Solo hunter"

patoad

I use the gray and blue and prefer the blue. Have been my go to calls since he started selling them.

bbcoach

Quote from: RiverBuck on February 04, 2023, 09:54:58 PM
Ghosts are all I use. I have all 3 colors. His purple showed up last week. It's nice but none of them make me sound like Dave...
I'm a center air call guy so the ghost cut, split v and batwing are my go to.  I've got 3 Purple ghosts coming so I'll do a review when they arrive.  They are advertised as a 2.5 reed call with the thinnest material thickness so they should be Great with the soft stuff.  They should be a Great finishing call.  I'll see what kind of Backbone they have as well. 

I'm convinced there isn't a Holy Grail in any type of call but I would like to someday be half the caller that Dave is.   His bubble clucks and purrs are MAGICAL IMO.

bbcoach

The purple call is NEW for 2023.  Here's Dave explaining and running all 3 ghost cuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_wJC82tzvo

sixbird

My good friend got me one of Daves' gray reed ghosts and it's spot on for me. Easy to do the little whips and whines and whistles. Kee-kees like a dream! Plenty of backbone for me. Yelps really well too.
I'm thinking about starting my own Youtube channel!
In all seriousness, great call and easy to run...